Looking at jk unlimited

dibsen

Adventurer
I'm in the market for a 4 door jeep. My budget is $20k. Will I be content with a base model X or do I need to do some searching around the classifieds for a better spec'd Sahara or Rubi?

hollaback55

Explorer
you'll be hard pressed to find a 4 door Rubi at the 20K price point. I'm sure they are out there but you'll have to search a little bit. I would suggest you figure out your intended use first. If you plan on doing mild trails, camping and back roads then you'd be fine with a sport and build it over time. If you want to run tougher trails and plan on playing in the rocks and wheeling then you might want the rubi for the gears, lockers, transfer case, swaybar disconnect. I'd also look around on this site, JKO, JKfreaks for nicely built rigs that members are selling. You can normally get a great rig at a significant price reduction on the original cost plus the mods.

Best of luck in your search. Looking forward to seeing you join the jeep crowd.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I would strongly suggest buying the Jeep you want vs. buying a beater with the plans to fix it up. Fixing a Jeep up is always more expensive in the long run and a lot tougher. You end up spending all of your time in the garage fixing it instead of using it. Ask me how I know... I currently have one in the garage that's been there for three years (that I now hate) and one in the driveway that I'm making a payment on. Guess which one gets used more? I understand you have a budget, and I get that, believe me I do, but do look for the best Jeep you can afford. If you have to stretch a little that's okay for the right one(like clean, needs no repairs, lower miles, etc..). IMO, I'd buy a clean one owner sport over a slightly hammered, white trash modified Rubicon any day of the week. Look for one that's never been modded and owned by older folks.

dibsen

Adventurer
Ok, you guys are preaching what I am thinking. Thanks for the feedback, might purchase this weekend.

dibsen

Adventurer
If the dealer bought this car at auction, anyone have a guess as to what they paid. Not sure if that matters buy just found out the got it at auction

Judoka

Learning To Live
I sell Jeeps out here in Arizona. That said i would like to present a few things to consider. If a Jeep is so easy to sell at a dealership, (and they are very easy to move) then why would any dealer send a Jeep to auction? My experience is that the only reason to send a Jeep to auction is if it is not marketable because it has a bad history such as wrecks or if it has just been beat so bad offroad that it is a liability, or there is bad rusting. In short, almost every single Wrangler I have seen go to auction has had Major issues! Yes, they cost a lot and hold thier value like nothing else, but, there is a reason for this! Save money my friend and buy what you will need and want. Just Empty Every Pocket (JEEP) can be a pleasant experience, or a nightmare depending upon what you are spending the money on. Feel free to PM me if you want any help getting one. We dont have rust problems at all in Arizona, so older Jeeps are still good vehicles.

dibsen

Adventurer
I got a picture of the undercarriage yesterday and tried to post it but ended up putting it on my Facebook. The underside has rust on the axles, knuckles and drive shafts. The frame and body are clean. I want this jeep for $18k but I don't think they will go that low. I may just be driving to Pensacola for lunch this Saturday.

dibsen

Adventurer
So I think I am going to walk away from this jeep. I live in FL and I have this tdi that we are trying to get rid of. Not sure what you could do for me

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Eek, that much rust on a JK would indicate it's likely not a Florida car, keep on hunting. If you see anything here http://www.ksl.com/auto/ you want looked at let me know. Since our Jeep market is so saturated in Utah you can find a very clean rig for cheap, then you can fly out to pick it up and stop in Moab on the way home.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
JK's seem to come from the factory with rust on the driveshafts. I wouldn't be to concerned with the rust on the axles as my 07 all the paint was worn off over the years and the surface rust took over.

OH9JK

Observer
Surface rust on the knuckles and drive shafts is normal.

What you want to look for is beat up skid plates, cross members or suspension parts.

What are your plans? How do you see yourself using your Jeep? I see too many people jumping on the first one they see instead of researching and then they are disappointed.

The JK specific forums are a great source of information. Loads of info on what works and what doesn't.

Good luck with the search and Jeep on!!

dibsen

Adventurer
This will be the second one I look at. I wasn't too concerned with the rust, just wasn't expecting it. I have to post those pics so y'all can see.

I can't take the roof off my land cruiser, that's why I want the jeep.

trail-explorer

Adventurer
If I was shopping, I myself would want a Rubicon, because it has the lower gears already installed, which would be my preference due to the trailer towing I plan on doing when I upgrade to a JKU. BUt, Rubis aren't cheap.

D

Deleted member 48574

Another often overlooked issue with a sport jeep versus the Rubicon is the suspension.

For any long distance overland travel on gravel, you will want better suspension. The Rubi has it, the Sport and Sahara do not.

The suspension alone is why I traded my Sport for a Rubicon. An expensive lesson but I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles