The ultimate Aussie expedition camper

mrFelix

Observer
Rob

Reading through your list I feel you're being a touch optimistic with weights.
I'm basing this on my own experience with my current set a Hilux 4x4 with an old slide on. The slide on weighs 585kgs and vehicle has gvm of 2880 kgs.
The slideon is made from aluminium frame with aluminium cladding ( which is about as thick as alfoil) . I doubt its possible to make a lighter one unless it's made from polystyrene .
To keep weight to a minimum there is no bull-bar and only one extra battery, standard 76litre fuel tank (a couple of jerries) and about 100litres of water no toilet no shower and one 60litre 3-way fridge with 2 4kg gas bottles.
All up we weigh close to gvm, which makes me wonder about your weight guesstimate.

Might also add about airbags, we have had to replace 4 (polyair bellows) over the last 7 years , they always give up the ghost when least desirable, if starting from scratch then I would not use them, I'm assuming that you camper is to be permanently secured so I feel appropriate springs would be a much better option .

cheers

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Thanks for the pic Felix.

How much space between the sink and the right seat? I don't know what your overall width is but with a bench length of 1300+ it seems like it will be too close for allow access to the seat.

I would also make the bedroom windows larger, even the entire wall and right down to mattress level as I have done on Wot Mk2

33519.jpg

The ventilation you get will be much appreciated on a hot night.

permanently attach it to Iveco

How will you do this? Does it have a tray you can use or will you make your own sub frame?

Thanks mog, I just spent some time on the Innovan site, crap site but they have some good ideas.

mrFelix

Observer
Rob
This post is in reply to your photo above, my post before this has not yet appeared :mad:
It's a bit hard to see from that image but the sink side seat is a bit wider than the other which will allow access for slim people ;) it is 2100 wide
I should point out that it will be a poptop and the hard shell will only be about 1400 high want to keep box no higher than cab which is 2600.. We are keeping the bed slightly lower for those times when we 'stealth' camp in a built-up area so we won't have to pop the top. Take your point about windows as we haven't made final decision but they will be the double glazed type.
The iveco has no tray and the sub frame will be built onto chassis, it comes with suspension points behind cab and fixed points at rear, 4 in total, also flex for this vehicle is minimal.
You mentioned initially about a composting toilet, we will be using an Airhead, it's commonly used on boats and I have spoken to people who have one in an Isuzu expedition vehicle and they are very happy with it , no smell and no chemicals which makes it safe to dispose of as it's only compost.
Do you really think you'll need to allow for frame flex on the 45 as the rear is so small, we have had no issues with ours which is attached directly to the chassis members via straps.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
my post before this has not yet appeared
It's weird how your posts pop up a day late, I've never heard of a forum requiring so many posts to be moderated, usually it's just 2-3.

you're being a touch optimistic with weights.
Probably, I remember weighing our old 45 in the middle of a trip and it was 3.5t, I think that's pretty typical of a loaded up 4x4 so no reason I'll be any better this time.

unless it's made from polystyrene .
Close, fibreglass/foam composite, almost no metal.

I don't really mind being over the GVM if it's because of stuff I can leave behind (like ground anchors etc), like I say I think most loaded 4x4s are over the top.

It looks like the 75 is good for 3330 kgs gross with a payload of just under 1300. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes.

we have had to replace 4 (polyair bellows) over the last 7 years
I'm looking at Thor bags, they are supposed to be better but who knows. I guess I like the idea of being able to level the rig for camping more that adjusting for load as that should be pretty constant. I've had new springs 3-4 times in various vehicles and they have always sagged unequally, so I'm not keen to go down that path again. At least with the bags you can adjust them to get the rig equal. The jury is still out on this.

poptop and the hard shell
How will you do the lift? I'm thinking electric actuators at present (because it would look cool) but gas struts will be cheaper. One good thing about the actuators is that I doubt I'd need any other mechanical means to hold the roof up/down.

double glazed type.
It kills me to do so but I'm going to bite the bullet and get a Dometic window, $500 but I only have one.

using an Airhead
I'm still deciding about this, we've got a similar thing here on our land and it works well. Truth is however it's not "compost" because you just crapped in it 3 hours before, all these single-bin loos are the same. To get real compost you need a roto-loo or similar such that the stuff you remove is 3 months (or whatever) old. The waste is however a lot more palatable than the normal potti. I've been looking at the Airhead and C-head. In the truck we use a cassette loo, we don't use chemicals so it's OK to dump it down any toilet including septics.

Do you really think you'll need to allow for frame flex on the 75 as the rear is so small, we have had no issues with ours which is attached directly to the chassis members via straps.
I'm probably over-engineering again :) I can't find any details on the amount of flex and as you say it's a very small chassis. I think I'll have to wait until I get the tray off and lift a wheel to see for myself. It may be that I don't need the extra complexity which would be good. I'll still use the resilient mounts though to reduce vibration in the house.

Thanks for you points and questions, the more I'm forced to think about things the better.

Last edited:

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
after following your last two builds i wait to see the end result. i am wondering though if you even considered a van. i am, well i have a friend, modifying one for me now. it wont be near as elaborate. just asking.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
i am wondering though if you even considered a van.
Well now that you mention it the thought of using a van never even crossed my mind. Mostly I think because there really aren't any 4x4 vans on Oz, the only one I can think of is the old Mitsubishi L300 and they are pretty rare as well I think. I do look at your Sportsmobiles with envious eyes, although their prices seem to be astronomical.

I have lived in vans before (my pre 4x4 days) and have no objection to them, I particularly like the idea of being able to clamber over the back without going outside. OTOH you can do a lot more "clever stuff" if you build a body from scratch.

mrFelix

Observer
Rob

You mentioned above in one of your posts about solar panels

Solar panels
We will be using the new semi-flexable panels, these are about 25% of the weight of standard glass panels.

just wondering if you have a source for them and perhaps some specs

cheers

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Hi Felix (I've been calling you that, I hope it's right :)),

There's a few of us in a lithium battery forum trying to get these.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/858337415/solar_panel_QSF240W_Black_Flexible_Backsheet_.html?s=p
http://www.qsolar.net/#!modules/vstc3=download

I think we'll be getting a stack in and splitting them up, but as usual agreeing on the same panel is a stumbling block. I've just asked Alibaba about getting them without a j-box because I'd rather make connections on the back of the panel.

In a nutshell,

240W
5.5kgs
1655 mm x 994 mm x 3 mm

That's almost 1/4 the weight of a glass panel.

mrFelix

Observer
woohoo
things must be looking up, post only took hours and not days to appear!

Thanks for the link, those panels have a Voc of 29.7v what will you do to enable usage for a 12v system.? From memory my solar reg has a max input of 22v so that panel is out. If the final design of camper roof is flat then the QLX model QS 140w looks like a good fit with a Voc of 19.8

don't know if I should be asking ( I'll probably regret it :confused: ) but where is the Lithium battery forum

to every one else it's mrFelix but in your case I'll make a special exemption :)

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Brief update, after much discussion on another forum it looks like I'll be making a DIY eutectic fridge. I've found a supplier for the hardware bits and it seems that we've also found a good source for the eutectic fluid.

Also it looks like I can get the above solar panels without j-boxes, just solder connections on the back, better for a vehicle that might have branches scraping down the roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94