The ultimate Aussie expedition camper

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Sorry, no there hasn't been any progress.

The project is on hold for a while, I have to build a shipping container house and then a workshop first, when the dust has settled from all that and I have a functional workshop I should be able to get back onto the camper.

This is what I'm up to at present (part of the house)

140623_9EJ1390.jpg

I have started a page on my site for it, not a lot there now though

http://robgray.com/graynomad/gov/index.php

Hi Rob,

Not sure if this interests you or not but a good friend of mine has a fibreglass business just near ATW in Yandina. He does a lot of custom work as well as subcontracts to many different businesses making production glass parts for all sorts of applications. Anyway one of the things he builds is moulded fibreglass container roof caps. They clip in to the container locks and provide good shade on top and shed rain rather than have it pool and cause rust.

Im sure that you could achieve the same thing with a basic frame and some corrugated iron but let me know if you are interested.

Regards
John.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
That sounds like an interesting product John. Containers are supposed to have a slightly domed rooves to shed water but it does still pool.

2 of my three already have stuff on their rooves, solar panels and/or a roof I'm making, however that might be an option for the 3rd although I may be putting solar panels on it as well. Got a link to his site?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Aw how your posts always make me miss OZ (I lived in Bilo on the Kroombit/Lochenbar Station for a fair few years). Even built a good few Container houses long before it became the booming hipster industry it is here in the US now. I've also been drooling over your monster ACCO (???) build for years now. my Waife saw the "deck" and suddenly the lowly Hilux just wasn't so "special" or "cool" anymore aye. First thing out of her mouth was "I want a sleeping area like that with a full kitchen TOO!!!!" hahahaha. Never fails.

Per your LC build, what about using one of those awesome "tradesman Boxes" (can't remember the trade name or what they're specifically called) that have the dual "gull wing" doors off either side that can act as awnings. I've seen a HEAP of 70's using those crossing the Simpson, The Birdsville etc. and all around the interior and everywhere I went exploring in my Troupy and Ute. Seems like a GREAT product for an Overlanding set-up, not too heavy and gives TONS of rear space, again, with built-in awnings. Sorry if this has already been mentioned or written off, I've only gotten to the 3rd page so far ;)

Cheers

Dave

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
We're not that far from Bilo.

Sorry if I caused any drama with the missus. If it helps I might sell the ACCO when the house is finished, you can have first offer :)

I did see a real nice tradesman's box the other day and got chatting to the owner. Man was it heavy, the Patrol and box and almost nothing else was already 3 tonnes, yikes, hardly any headroom for some beer let alone the ton of stuff you need for outback travel. But yes I'm sure most of them are much lighter.

I probably should just buy something, and that's still a possibility, but I'm a DIY kind of guy so I can see me breaking out the tools yet again.

Outback

Explorer
I wasn't aware they were available on the 75s, interesting.

Yes I'm happy with skinny tyres on split rims, I know how to fix them in the bush.

I'm probably going over the top with lockers and winches, especially for a non-hard core rig. Still we are always going solo and I like to be self-sufficient.

Our Cruiser has 231kk on the clock, it looks ok and should be still in pretty good nick but you never know of course.

Ive seen people get stuck on a 2 wheel drive dirt road Until it rained. Go off the hard pack even a foot and your down to the frame and canted over. At the minimum a winch would be needed. Lockers may get you out with out the winch(what kind of tires do you have MTs or ATs). Is there a tree close by? Pul Pal? Going solo should see your rig with selectable lockers front and rear and at least 1 winch.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Hi Rob,

Not sure if this interests you or not but a good friend of mine has a fibreglass business just near ATW in Yandina. He does a lot of custom work as well as subcontracts to many different businesses making production glass parts for all sorts of applications. Anyway one of the things he builds is moulded fibreglass container roof caps. They clip in to the container locks and provide good shade on top and shed rain rather than have it pool and cause rust.

Im sure that you could achieve the same thing with a basic frame and some corrugated iron but let me know if you are interested.

Regards
John.
How much are they John?

I'm heading down to the Sunshine Coast today, will be around there for about 4 weeks so maybe I could have a look at them.

At the minimum a winch would be needed. Lockers may get you out with out the winch(what kind of tires do you have MTs or ATs). Is there a tree close by? Pul Pal? Going solo should see your rig with selectable lockers front and rear and at least 1 winch.
I've always been happy with pizza cutter tyres, I plan front and rear lockers, front electric winch and I already have a Tirfor so that can go along for the ride as well. Tyres at present are whatever was on the vehicle when I bought it, I haven't even looked.

Re the container house, it's coming along slowly but well

141114_9EJ1497.jpg

140823_9EJ1445.jpg

More info here

http://robgray.com/graynomad/issues/issue_070/index.php#container_house

And as for the camper, that's still happening although probably a less grandiose version, we are evaluating what we really need but also money will limit the design and I have to finish the house first. We lived quite comfortably in our old 40-series with little more than a false floor and a fridge,

30312.jpg

so I might just do an up-market version of that. Truth is I don't want to make a career of this, I want to be out there using it.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Yeah it's coming along well I think, we're pretty happy with it. It's taking a long time and I can,t return to the camper build until the house is finished but we'll get there eventually.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
"lounging" at Marie & Scruffy's
That's exactly what I'm doing now, they've gone away and I'm house sitting, got here 2-3 days ago.

Thanks for the offer, there's a (very small) chance we'll get over there, will certainly drop in if we do.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Thanks Pappa, yes I think it's turning out alright. I'll get back onto the camper next year I hope.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Yeah it is, thanks. I'm working on the kitchen fitout right now, when that's finished we can pretty much move in which will be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94