Self jump starting

camper101

Observer
After reading this thread I found out it might be easier than I thought to jump start my truck with my camper battery.

I'm wondering if you might be able to dumb things down for me. Here is what I have for an isolator/separator/solenoid:
IMG_0576.JPG

Is there a way to self-jumpstart with this thing (or with the available wiring)? I'm assuming I'd have to make some sort of connection, but I don't have any idea where to do that.

Of course, I don't plan to do this often (killing the truck battery isn't in the plans, and I hear that my camper battery might not like this very much either, but it'd be nice to have a solution handy).

The separator says it's good for 100 amps - not sure if that's a problem. I'm open to disconnecting things and wiring directly in the event that my battery dies - it'd probably be easier than pulling the battery out.

Thank you.

4x4mike

Adventurer
I wouldn't try to jump the truck with something limiting you to 100 amps, especially with longer lines.

How big is your camper battery? If it's big enough and the main battery isn't dead dead you could remove the camper battery, take it to the front of your truck and use jumper cables to start. My emergency jump start pack contains a small 14 amp hour battery and the cables are rated for 300 amps for 10 seconds. I have a feeling your camper battery is much bigger and jumper cables will be able to supply what you need.

Stitebunny

Adventurer
I'm not 100% sure it will work yet, but i'm looking into the possibility of doing something similar. Basically running a parallel circuit around your seperator and installing a continuous duty solenoid inline there rated at 200a or 500a or whatever you would require. Then all you need is a switch up on the dash to close the solenoid contacts when the starter battery is dead to link both batteries together and thus jump starting off the house battery.

camper101

Observer
Ok, sounds like the 100 amps is not enough. The battery has something like 70 or 80 amp hours... I could take the battery out, but it's not the easiest task in the world. Certainly worth doing if it's the only way to get up and running (and avoid damaging the rest of the camper) though.

Stitebunny I couldn't see what the link goes to - it showed an error page for me.

Thanks all.

Rando

Explorer
If you are not planning on doing this often, your current battery isolator will most likely work fine for self jump starting. Two things to note - your battery isolator is rated at 100A continuous, it is almost certainly good for 3-5 times that (ie 300 - 500A) inrush current for a few tens of seconds. Your wiring will be the limiting factor. Secondly, if you do need to self jump, parallel the batteries and wait for 10 -15 minutes for some charge to flow from your house battery to your main, then crank. This will reduce the load through your wiring and isolator while cranking.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Like Rando said, just leave it on for a little while. You can buy many different sizes of jumper cables. Smaller wires just mean you have to wait a few minutes for the juice to travel, then crank it. Your setup will work in a pinch just fine.

Thats why I buy quality Jumpers. Walmart has some 15' 4 gauge cables for $40. I just re soldered them to the clips and they works great no waiting time at all.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
If you are not planning on doing this often, your current battery isolator will most likely work fine for self jump starting. Two things to note - your battery isolator is rated at 100A continuous, it is almost certainly good for 3-5 times that (ie 300 - 500A) inrush current for a few tens of seconds. Your wiring will be the limiting factor. Secondly, if you do need to self jump, parallel the batteries and wait for 10 -15 minutes for some charge to flow from your house battery to your main, then crank. This will reduce the load through your wiring and isolator while cranking.

x2

I jump through my 80a rated solenoid without any problems. I had to install bigger wiring though - with the original battery cables, it wouldn't turn the 460. Clicky, clickety click.
Bigger wire, jumps right up with no waiting around.

The wire in the OP's photo ain't gonna cut it for jumping - way too small. Be okay for letting some trickle from aux to primary, but who wants to wait around for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles