2003 Silverado Z71 solid axle build

Ghostwarrior

Nice build. I'm planning on my 99 suburban next year same what u using but not regular coil spring set up. Plan to use 4 king or fox coil over shocks on front end. I want to keep abs working. I would like to stop by at your work and talk about build points when I'm on way home to Alabama from California on late September or early October.. Let me know. Thanks.

mccustomize

Explorer
Nice build. I'm planning on my 99 suburban next year same what u using but not regular coil spring set up. Plan to use 4 king or fox coil over shocks on front end. I want to keep abs working. I would like to stop by at your work and talk about build points when I'm on way home to Alabama from California on late September or early October.. Let me know. Thanks.

Sure, I'd love to chat about some build points with you. quick question, why 4 coilovers up front?

Ghostwarrior

The reason, I don't want to loosen up on turns and secondly I have heavy custom build front bumper(full 3/8" steel overall). I do have portable winch that available to attach front or rear.

thethePete

Explorer
The reason, I don't want to loosen up on turns and secondly I have heavy custom build front bumper(full 3/8" steel overall). I do have portable winch that available to attach front or rear.

Then go for bigger shocks and heavier springs. No reason to run 2 coilovers per side. If you really need help controlling things, run a coilover and a bypass as a secondary shock, but I doubt that would be necessary if you size your shocks appropriately. A 2.5 should be plenty for you, but if you're apprehensive, get a set of 3.0s and appropriate springs. You'll spend less getting a bigger shock that does the job properly than buying 2 that only do half the job.

Ghostwarrior

This is what I want to set up. Using upper control arm mount housing for coil over shocks. Probably 8-10" lift! Possible rolling 37-40" tires. Presently 6" lift rough country kit and rolling 315 tires.

image.jpeg

Ghostwarrior

This is what I want to set up. Using upper control arm mount housing for coil over shocks. Probably 8-10" lift! Possible rolling 37-40" tires. Presently 6" lift rough country kit and rolling 315 tires.

View attachment 355453

Using dodge Dana 44 with factory mounts for long link arms and track bar. For the coilover shocks mount have to fab it up on axle. Similar to this pic. That pic is from Ford Explorer. Hope u all get the idea what I'm plan.

mccustomize

Explorer
38S-40s with a Dana44, I wouldn't, the unit bearings are going to hate you, I have a hard enough time with keeping it together on 37s. If you are aiming for a truck that big/heavy, why not one tons?

To be completely honest trying to use the factory mounts is going to be harder and eat up more time than just cleaning the axle off and using link tabs and coilover tabs.

Also the low pinion housing is going to hate the driveshaft angle at that much lift.

single set of 2.5s would be fine for your application.

mccustomize

Explorer

View attachment 355453

There are so many things wrong with the fab work on this setup I can't even describe them all. The coilovers have so much wasted travel since they are mounted so high it requires a shorter coilover to keep it low, or a really tall height to keep a lot of travel, the closer mounted to the axle tube the better, so much lack of protection for the lower link joints and not enough meat around the link mounting hole. The bars also appear to be completely parallel, which gives an infinite center and is not good for the proper handling.

mccustomize

Explorer
Why are you selling it?

sent from a slablet

As our boys are growing, so does our need for cabin space, I'm finding that I need less and less bed space and more and more interior space. So it looks like the one tons, coilovers, and 6.0/4L80 will find their way into a Tahoe rather than my truck in the hopefully near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz