2003 Silverado Z71 solid axle build

noJeepshere

Adventurer
I like the way your truck has turned out, especially with that dodge axle so you can keep the abs, something I didn't think was possible when I bought my axle. Oh well, it's a 1 ton axle so I'll do without. Keep up the good work, it motivates me to do my swap.

mccustomize

Explorer
I would have to reference the specs, but I believe it's right around 7 degree, it's whatever the factory dodge specs called for on the alignment.

mccustomize

Explorer
Well I finally took the body lift off, and lowered the front 2 inches and raised the rear almost one inch. Also my bed cage is for sale along with 2 40" LED bars! I will post pictures tonight when I get home.

cyclic

Adventurer
Ok, I'll bite. How much on the light bars?

Well I finally took the body lift off, and lowered the front 2 inches and raised the rear almost one inch. Also my bed cage is for sale along with 2 40" LED bars! I will post pictures tonight when I get home.

mccustomize

Explorer
A small update, getting closer to having functioning four wheel drive again, since it's my daily driver I have worked out a few more kinks in the driveability of it. I finally put my WFO torque arm on to eliminate any axle wrap, finished up the winch mount and front bumper and got around to installing the new flares I've had for over a year.

I also drove to Abilene and picked up another Dodge 44 from a 2001 this time so I can upgrade to the dual piston front calipers, rebuild, regear and truss the new axle.

We bought a house so we are in the process of moving so won't have a lot of progress until late may possibly.

In the mean time I still have my jeep, with F/R lockers in the boxes, DOM for the steering, sliders, and a few other goodies I need to put on and continue to wheel with it. Anyway, on to the picture

10683900_948257738525868_883344568_n.jpg

mccustomize

Explorer
In recent news...... Looks like the Chevy will finally be getting used and abused on the trails. I recently became aware of the Ozark Overland Rally series and got very interested, enough to put together a team, including myself. With that said we have put together a team called Texas Land Yachts. All 3 are GMT800 solid axle swapped trucks.
Myself
IMG_3080.jpg

my friend Brian, 2001 Z71, 3 link, king coil overs, Ford 60 front, sterling rear, 37s
IMG_3680.jpg

and my friend Mikkie, 2006 Dmax, Ford 60 with Fox coil overs and radius arms, 37s
IMG_3684.jpg

Our plan is to create a fullsize invasion and show the Toyotas/jeeps how capable AND comfortable these trucks can be. All 3 of us have a list of things we will need to address before the challenge series in 2016. I will leave them to open threads and post if they choose and concentrate on my upgrades in this thread.

My list includes:

Front and rear recovery points
Regear front axle
Install posi lok
Front drive shaft
Rock sliders
Rear bumper
Fender/bedside protection
New tires
Fullsize spare and mount
Install the 2001 knuckles/calipers
Truss front and rear axle
Sway bar
Fix coil spring bowing
CB radio
Onboard air
Tools
Recovery gear
Fluids
Bed tie down system
Oil pressure sending unit
New power steering pump
Hydro assist
Fix body mounts
Tuck rear shock mounts
Fix lower link mounts
Remount air bumps
Fix front shock mounts

chaos616

Adventurer
That is a serious boatload of work to do, but just awesome. That will be a really cool rally, now I want to participate, if only i wasn't so far away. I agree with you, jeeps are fairly uncomfortable, and every time i have been out wheeling with them, i can do everything, if not more than they can due to the wheelbase and usually faster too, not that they are bad, just different. I will support the Texas Land Yacht's from where ever i am!!! I guess they turn a little tighter...

Keep us updated on your preparation progress.

Cheers,

mccustomize

Explorer
Added Installing rear bump stops to the list and took off fender/bed protection, I figured **** it, if I get bad enough body damage on the trail I'll just make an insurance claim and fix it myself.

Been reasearching tires a lot, thinking about going with an all terrain instead of an M/T, I really like the Toyo R/T and the Mickey Thompson ATZ but dang both are expensive.

ad gave her a bath sunday

11248384_486253891542299_853247615_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles