Pics of rig packed up ready to go?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
In the middle of a 5 day trip. Gas was the only thing I needed during the trip even though I do carry 40 gals.

Attachments

• 8-31-2014 097.jpg
    8-31-2014 097.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 170

SnowedIn

Observer
Just about done with how I'm setting up my new pickup (Frontier crew cab). It's a daily driver, so the general idea is "toss in boxes of stuff and water cans and go".

- Frontrunner load bars w/ TJM Yulara on top. Skipped the factory tent bars and bolted the tent directly to the bars with 8mm bolts using the channels in them.
- 2 Frontrunner load bars bolted to the bed utilitrack
- Frontrunner corner brackets for holding water cans
- Hilift bolted down to the bed load bars w/ 8mm bolts in the channels
- Can put tiedowns anywhere in the channels - using Safari Straps cam buckle straps, Frontrunner tie down points, and the factory Nissan tie down cleats.
- Wood cargo shelf to make room for the jack and/or other recovery equipment.
- Tools/recovery in the passenger side case, personal gear in the driver side case.
- Rotopax 3 gal. mounted behind the cab in front of the passenger side case (it's shorter in length than the other one)
- The aluminum chest has a stove secured in it with some aluminum brackets, a cutting board, etc.
- Trash bucket

We also had a flat pack cooler and pair of small actionpackers in the cab with the rear seats folded up. At some point we'll probably work on the roof rack a bit so it can actually carry some cargo when we want to haul 4 people.

1UTD777.jpg

60t7AFv.jpg

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Making sure everything fits.

View attachment 284990
View attachment 284991
View attachment 284992
View attachment 284993
View attachment 284994

Out of curiosity I went to a truck scale and weighed it loaded with me and a full tank of fuel.
GVW for my Jeep is 6150# scale said 6260#.( 110# over ) should be OK with E rated tires
And OME HD springs all around.

Bob I am right at 6200 pounds in my CRD...that is with full diesel, wife and doggy, camping equipment, etc...

what size is the propane tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Just about done with how I'm setting up my new pickup (Frontier crew cab). It's a daily driver, so the general idea is "toss in boxes of stuff and water cans and go".

- Frontrunner load bars w/ TJM Yulara on top. Skipped the factory tent bars and bolted the tent directly to the bars with 8mm bolts using the channels in them.
- 2 Frontrunner load bars bolted to the bed utilitrack
- Frontrunner corner brackets for holding water cans
- Hilift bolted down to the bed load bars w/ 8mm bolts in the channels
- Can put tiedowns anywhere in the channels - using Safari Straps cam buckle straps, Frontrunner tie down points, and the factory Nissan tie down cleats.
- Wood cargo shelf to make room for the jack and/or other recovery equipment.
- Tools/recovery in the passenger side case, personal gear in the driver side case.
- Rotopax 3 gal. mounted behind the cab in front of the passenger side case (it's shorter in length than the other one)
- The aluminum chest has a stove secured in it with some aluminum brackets, a cutting board, etc.
- Trash bucket

We also had a flat pack cooler and pair of small actionpackers in the cab with the rear seats folded up. At some point we'll probably work on the roof rack a bit so it can actually carry some cargo when we want to haul 4 people.

That looks like a setup I used to run on my truck! Judging by the larger wing on the tailgate, yours is newer than mine though. Nice work. I like the military boxes you've decided to use. I'm always looking for a good setup myself.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
One Week.jpg

One week of food, water, clothing, personal kits, fair-weather gear, emergency/recovery gear, and a few non-essentials (including a propane firepit) for two people. Not shown are the propane tank on the bumper and camp table on the roof. :sombrero:

whatevah

Observer
This should make many of you feel better...

My Jeep loaded with clothes, food, camping and recovery gear for two and a half weeks on the road/trail. That poor Jeep was loaded floor to ceiling, windows bulging, with a duffle bag and camp chairs on top of the two fuel cans (both gas, yellow because it was the last Scepter fuel can available in the US). Hopefully this year will be a little more civilized with a trailer. :)

laufer

4th-gen Toyota 4Runner (5-seater). Two-day, one-person trip from Chicago to Manistee NF in western Michigan for scenic backcountry driving and dispersed car camping.

LoadedFor2dTrip.JPG

A rollable foam mattress from IKEA goes behind the storage totes. The empty totes are required for the sleeping platform.

For longer trips, the TRED recovery boards and Rotopax gas cans go on top.

4thGenRotopaxRoofMount2.JPG

The trunk can hold up to seven of these totes for a three-person trip:

LoadedFor3wkTrip.JPG

capturecolorado

Hooray bikes!
Not the greatest shots, when I'm fully loaded up I haven't really thought to take pictures of how it's all organized.

White Rim
white%252520rim%252520LQ-12.jpg

white%252520rim%252520LQ-24.jpg

This is kind of how it's organized, except I have two of the long cases that I can attach. They're weather resistant, not weather proof by any means, but they're inexpensive, large, and allow for loads of storage without being a total PITA.
11048708_10153772717254689_6048439448190980051_n.jpg

In the first two, we were fully loaded for about a week of camping and biking, each person had one of the large cases for personal gear, sleeping bag, helmet, etc., one of the smaller ones is dedicated to recovery gear, compressor, straps, etc., and the other was cooking stuff (we had way more crap than we needed). In addition I have a 15lb CO2 tank on the deck, and two Rotopax gas and water cans below the deck behind the cab (see Mark fiddling with that above).

My issues with this system are that, when fully loaded and with bikes, access to the cargo in the middle is difficult at best. These boxes are NOT very rigid, and I want to switch to another variety, they are fine if you don't overstuff them (they bow out), they're better if you don't attach them with turnbuckles as I do, if you strap them down they're fantastic. I'm debating tweaking the method in which I attach bikes, possibly raising the rear wheel and using a pair of larger boxes that would span the width of the bed toward the back. Alternatively, I'm thinking about building a bed slideout that would bolt to the deck, allowing me to pull whatever is stored between the bikes out to the back.

In addition to what's on the bed, I had my camera bag, our hydration bags, and cooler in the cab. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

DorB

Adventurer
13.JPG
On the rack, 3 mattresses, and 2 big canvas bags, 1 for the family's clothing (4), and the second one with blankets.
Also on the rack are folding poles for the awning.
48.jpg
פתיח.JPG

Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
With two teenage girls aboard, things get interesting. Here we're pretty well equipped for two weeks of backcountry camping, at a lovely little spot on the Magruder Corridor in Idaho. On the roof rack is a second spare, a 20 lb propane tank, a propane fire ring, shovel, tackle box and fishing poles, and two 20-liter water cans. Inside we've strung paracord from side to side, sliding our sleeping bags and air mattresses up there against the ceiling, which is a super convenient way to go. The cord also serves as a clothesline when we have damp clothes, towels, bathing suits, etc. All of our clothes and personal items are in a variety of bags that pop out quickly. The cooler is an 80-quart Engel DeepBlue (which is AMAZING). Two tents, two camp tables, four folding chairs and our awning tuck away on each side. Kitchen gear & food live just behind the back seat. The "basement," a big, cavernous storage area under the rear floor, is where the third row seat normally lives when it is stowed. Leaving it home saves tons of weight and gives this amazing storage space. This contains a 16-inch chainsaw, tools, first aid gear, recovery gear, air compressor, and chains. It's a mammoth load!

8179957213_41d322a064_b.jpg

On our most recent trip the kids stayed home, freeing up a great deal of room in the old Mitsu. The second row seats joined the third row in the garage at home and a sleeping platform meant that the tent stayed home, too. The rear of the platform has a cutout to allow the Engel cooler to live back there during the day. When we get to a camping spot, it comes out and the platform "hatch" is replaced. Front Runner storage boxes live under the platform and contain our kitchen stuff. The clear Sterilite box contains our dry food; the platform was designed to allow a couple of these to just fit beneath it. Below the front of the platform, accessible from the doors that serve the second row of seats, are our fuel cans, 20 liter water cans, a 5 lb propane tank, our tables, chairs and awning. The Trasharoo on the rear spare contains our propane fire ring, trash bag and dirty clothes bag.

21291797152_56d2d29633_b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior