RMP&O's v8 80-series

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
What Kurt said....

The FJ60 split case is one of the things I really liked about this truck when I was thinking and making up my mind.

Cheers

Lionsgarage

Scoutfollower
Why ask why the OE does these things......but actually the LT1 head was used for fuel consumption and torque at lower rpm reasons is my guess as the L31 was the last version of old 5.7 in the trucks and had more oomph than earlier ones, good cheap torque fora swap.

urbex

Observer
Why ask why the OE does these things......but actually the LT1 head was used for fuel consumption and torque at lower rpm reasons is my guess as the L31 was the last version of old 5.7 in the trucks and had more oomph than earlier ones, good cheap torque fora swap.

It's not an LT1 head. It's based off the same castings, but there are differences between the two which makes it so that it's not a direct bolt on swap (mainly in the way the coolant is routed through them), and out of the box the LT1 head is a poorer flowing head. Although, I suppose it could be considered semantics at this point, lol. I had read the first post as someone actually went through the trouble to swap LT1 heads on to the engine, and that seemed like an awful waste of time and money.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The Cruiser comes home in about 10-days. I have been thinking a bit about what I want to do to it. :)

Wheel & tires. 16 or 17" wheels with skinnier tires. Black wheels for me.

Dash cover or cap. Two cracks in the dash.

Seat covers, would do something like some new Procars just don't think I will drop the coin on that anytime soon. A Tuffy console would be sweet too.

Steering wheel wrap, leather. I like that kind of stuff.

There is of course more on my mind like; bumpers, long range tank or aux tank, drawer system, Wagongear tailgate, cut & turn on front axle, ect ect ect. But none of that would happen until next summer.

Cheers

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Another cool Toyota. Congrats. I'd have used a Toyota V8 but hey, it's a simple reliable motor that'll more then move the 80 so thumbs up. What "other project" is on the back burner??? You still have the Portal'd Patrol crawler right??? Seeing how you seem to pick vehicles similar to my taste (and build them like I would build them as well) I'm super excited to not only see how this truck progresses but what "else" you;re tinkering on aye.

Cheers

Dave

By the way, that L31 is not TBI, it throttle body injected, (pic in above post) but is multi- point. That engine has the LT1 heads too.
Maybe the best non-LT1 and non LS engine to swap.
Enjoy.

Edit: Maybe I mis-read your post/didn't understand what you were saying.... FWIW It's Multi-Port Injection as well.

TBI means Throttle Body Injected... Maybe you're thinking of TPI which is the Tuned Port Injection style that Chevy has/had been using for years (they actually used BOTH for years but I can't remember which was earlier, I believe TBI was first then TPI tarted showing up as a "badge of honor" on Chevy cars then MPFI). Either way, they're both fairly inefficient injection systems compared to even the 22RE and other older injected motors, but they're simple to repair esp. here in the states. The head thing is strange as the LT1 heads dont flow as well as other units that will bolt in place on the same motor so why go to all the trouble??? Anyway I'm sure it made sense to someone when they did it.

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Another cool Toyota. Congrats. I'd have used a Toyota V8 but hey, it's a simple reliable motor that'll more then move the 80 so thumbs up. What "other project" is on the back burner??? You still have the Portal'd Patrol crawler right??? Seeing how you seem to pick vehicles similar to my taste (and build them like I would build them as well) I'm super excited to not only see how this truck progresses but what "else" you;re tinkering on aye.

Cheers

Dave

The other one which is my long term dream overland truck project.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/75518-The-Mongrel-FJ62-body-FZJ80-chassis-turbo-diesel

and the one that has been occupying my time + money as of late, this be the one I traded for the Cruiser though. :)

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/32521-The-Warn-Pinz

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
main.php

I picked the Cruiser up on Saturday. Met Georg in Elko, NV and it was just about perfect. We both arrived within 5 minutes of each other and we found a great little spot right off the HWY that had some dirt to test the trucks out on. The FJ80 is impressive. The motor is no speed demon but has plenty of power for this heavy truck and the engine is pretty much stock, ie I can get more out of it fairly easily if I want. Georg installed a set of e-locker axles under the truck, he rebuilt the knuckles, ect. I need to wire up the lockers and I think I will be using the Marlin e-locker kits. The trans is nice and tight and shifts very smooth. I also really like the FJ60 t-case and no full time 4wd. I was pleasantly surprised at the top of a few hill climbs off-road when I took my foot off the gas and the brake. The truck just sat there. Since the truck I traded was an old school truck with a 5spd and drum brakes this was something I found to be pretty sweet.

So far I have driven it about 150-200 miles on pavement, up and over the rocky mountains. It is awesome on pavement. I have also off-roaded it a few times now. Currently the lockers are not operational but I was really surprised how easily it climbed stuff. A few climbs we did I expected to fail without lockers but the truck walked right up the obstacles and didn't even spin a tire. Off-road, I barely even need any throttle, the torque is super sweet!

Being 23yrs old the interior does show it's age but is also in solid condition. It rained a lot yesterday here and no leaks at the sunroof, windshield or anywhere else so I am stoked on that. Some of the power windows are definitely tired so I plan to deal with that before to long, clean them up or perhaps some good used motors is my plan.

Best part was, we traded. So when I titled, registered, insured and all that jazz yesterday it cost me a total of $35!!

Stoked!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Alright pictures....

main.php

Like I say interior is fairly clean for the age.

main.php

main.php

Not all that rare but cool none the less...

main.php

Seems it has lot's of Dynamat, no wonder it is so quiet inside. :)

main.php

main.php

My buddy gave me this FZJ80 console so I tossed it in.

main.php

My buddie's 70k original mile $900 82 FJ60. :)

main.php

I will take some more pictures of the exterior and post them up before long.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Time for some snow wheelin'! Ill be ready in 2 weeks...

No worries bro, congrats on finding the rig you are really after! I think it is pretty much just what you wanted and I am sure people here will enjoy the build of it. It looks to be a sweeeeeet truck!

I am ready to go snow wheeling anytime. But without lockers and a winch don't want to go alone!

Just changed the oil, fresh coolant flush and ready for sub-zero. Installed the FZJ80 console (thanks Krazytoy!), removed the 3rd row seats and detailed out the interior. Next up; Trans service and flush, Tuff Duck seat covers, better floor/cargo mats, dash cover, wire up lockers and detail it some more!

Cheers

Last edited:

shmabs

Explorer
Beautiful truck, and even better to hear you are already out using it. If you do track the mpg, please keep us informed.

Mike

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Beautiful truck, and even better to hear you are already out using it. If you do track the mpg, please keep us informed.

Mike

Hey Mike, see what I come up with. The speedo is 5mph off though with the stock 4.10 gears. I may or may not upgrade the gears in the future.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well, here are some more pictures. Not a dent or scratch on this truck anywhere. :)

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

I really dislike the wheels. They are 15's (which I hate) and yes the calipers have been ground. On the first ride in the dirt the rear started rubbing so we took it back to my buddies garage and pulled both rear wheels. There were 1/4" spacers in there which I yanked out and tossed and then just ground the calipers down more. That fixed any rubbing but I still don't like 15s! These are 15x10 and I will be going 16x8 and probably a KM2 or similar.

The truck has OME heavies in the rear and has a slight stink bug when empty. I don't like that to much but to solve it will either be adding weight to rear in the way of a drawer ~ sleeping set up or raise the front with coil spacers. I do like the HD coils just not the stink bug.

This makes me happy!

main.php

The freshly rebuilt split case

main.php

It has the Saginaw pump on the engine but this cooler is nice anyways.

main.php

I really hate these drop brackets. Going back to stock brackets and a cut & turn on the front axle is in my future.

main.php

The Cruiser runs super smooth. Everytime I drive it I just grin. Like I say it is no speed demon but feels like it has plenty of power, I can do 60+mph up a 10% grade at 10,000ft in elevation. So that makes me happy. I have driven 80s with the stock motor and while not horrible they just felt weak to me, this 80 on the other hand feels like it should. Dare I say Toyota should have put a similar motor in these from the get go!? The truck is super quiet, hardly even feel it idling and just real nice. The exhaust is nice and quiet too until you stomp on it and then it has a bit more throat but still pretty quiet.

Overall I am real happy with it and my list of things I want to do is growing.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94