RMP&O's v8 80-series

Kole

Adventurer
Can't wait to see the progression. I'l love to see it with some different wheels and tires. Those just look a little odd to me.

Great find!

alia176

Explorer
What are your thoughts on the 4L60E tranny? Since it's computer controlled, is it shifting appropriately and on time? Does it unlock the TC early or waits until the very last second?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
What are your thoughts on the 4L60E tranny? Since it's computer controlled, is it shifting appropriately and on time? Does it unlock the TC early or waits until the very last second?

I like it. I was apprehensive at first cause I got other Chevies with autos (94 & 01) and was not sure how I would like the Chevy auto in the Cruiser. I have a 4L80e in the 01 and it has been a great trans for over 12yrs now but I got to say the 4L60e in the Cruiser seems a bit tighter, these days the 4L80e (180k on it) is a bit sluggish. The 4L60e shifts strong and tight and is very responsive, definitely shifts on time and is not delayed or sluggish. 1/8-1/4 throttle and it down shifts immediately, same for more throttle. It also shifts great on grades or hill climbs on the road and shifts when it should. I don't know if I would say it unlocks at the last second but it definitely is not shifting early. The only delay I have noticed is shifting into reverse when it is cold. And from my experience all my Chevies do that. I don't think the 4L60e in the Cruiser is a high mile trans and the TC is nice and tight. Overall I am real happy with it and I wasn't sure I would be.

Hope that helps.

And on the same subject, I would like to add a trans temp gauge.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
1424415_3674172230848_1328082180_n.jpg

1452530_221140798063681_269016034_n.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So that is my buddies new 100-series next to my 80.

We both drove each others trucks a bit, it was good to do since they both have v8s and they both are autos. I was impressed with his 100 but my 80 also did not disappoint. He has way way more experience in the sand than me, I have only wheeled St. Anthony 2x in a truck suited for it. The dunes are an interesting places to off-road. Everything is different compared to snow, mud, rocks or whatever. High speed and horse power prevail but knowing the right lines and what your truck will do is also a major player.

All in all a super fun day and the weather was unbelievable. No carnage other than I had a very sketchy moment where I came close to rolling but instead just had a major compression of my front LHS tire. Result was a little damage to my fender flare. We took a ton of video so soon I will put something together and upload it.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
1467438_3680913279370_346826852_n.jpg

Our line on the left, my buddies on the right. Very sketchy, I had to decide fast what to do. The plan had been to run across the top of this dune until the transition was less farther down and then drop in. However, the sand was very soft and we started sliding sideways at 40mph! Talk about pucker factor!!

Cheers

java

Expedition Leader
Cant wait to see where this one goes. The last couple trucks have been very nice.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Cant wait to see where this one goes. The last couple trucks have been very nice.

Thank you.

I just bought a new stereo last night. Old school Cds just don't work for me. I was going to get a pretty nice touch screen deck with DVD and some bling but in the end decided I don't need any of that. So I just bought a pretty plain jane JVC deck with iPod port. I had a JVC in my Tacoma and liked it, especially the simple remote.

The wheels and tires got to go as soon as I can afford it. While they work great in the sand I just really dislike the look of the truck with them. And as I found out the other day, under a very serious compression they will rub. I have both wheels and tires picked out already, the wheels are not to bad $$$ wise but man tires are expensive. I am sure everybody feels that pain when buying tires....

Cheers

krazytoy

Adventurer
Nice job on the video man, but like most video or picture it does not do real life justice. It was a great day and the weather was pretty much perfect for a day in the dunes.
I'm really lovin' the 80 and I am excited to see how it turns out, I'm more excited that you got a **************' ride to wheel with me now! :sombrero:

krazytoy

Adventurer
Nice job on the video man, but like most video or picture it does not do real life justice. It was a great day and the weather was pretty much perfect for a day in the dunes. I really dig the 12,000 RPM pull up the hill at the end of the video...
I'm really lovin' your 80 and I am excited to see how it turns out, I'm more excited that you got a **************' ride to wheel with me now! :sombrero:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Thanks brother man! You are a very good reference for me with the truck, since you just had one and did a ton of work/upgrades to it.

The dunes was a hardcore off-road test for the truck. Next up, a long distance HWY drive out to Oregon, should be around 2,000+ miles round trip. I have been tracking mileage/mpg so am interested to see what a long distance run nets me.

Cheers

Rot Box

Explorer
There was a time when I rode my CR500R at the St. Anthony dunes nearly every weekend. Those dunes are a riot. Never been out on them in a 4x4. Looks like good times :cool:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well, I just finished an 1800 miles round trip jaunt in the Cruiser.

I need to go through my receipts to know what my mpg were on the whole trip but was tracking mpg on the way out to Oregon. A strong head wind for most of it screwed my mpg, ie 12-13mpg but I did get 17.5mpg for about 200 miles when the wind died off and the speed limit was 55mph.

I found an issue too while on the trip. In heavy rain the windshield leaks. It then drips on the ECU and causes the truck to have a throttle blip of 200ish rpms. So it looks like the windshield needs to come out and be re-done. Already know a dude who can do it for me for a good price.

Overall the truck did awesome on the trip. It has tons of power and is fun to drive down the highway or on back country roads. I noticed a substantial power increase too at sea level. The seats are more comfortable than they were in my 04 Tacoma simply due to the seating position but being 23yr old seats, I feel the need to upgrade them. A bit of fatigue did set in after 10hrs in the seats. It also needs cruise control badly. My plan is to set it up with a pretty plain jane after market kit. My last complaint is range. Also the stock fuel gauge seems a touch sticky. So I would like to do an aux fuel tank and also drop in a new fuel sending unit. Other than this no complaints at all and the truck did fantastic on the trip.

Oh ya, I just got my new JVC deck today! Plan to install that in the next day or two. No more lame CDs for me!! :)

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well, after a nap, 1800 miles and a few trips off-road I have a solid idea and plan on what I want to do to the truck and what it needs.

Here is my list, more or less in this order! ;)

-install new stereo
-E-lockers wired up, using Inchworm's kit.
-new windshield gasket, installed correctly so no leaks!
-get rid of drop brackets on radius arms and do a cut & turn on front axle, replace bushes at same time.
-coil spring spacers in front to level the truck and get rid of stink bug.
-new 16" wheels and 35" rubber
-Dakota Digital tach calibration kit
-leather steering wheel wrap
-cruiser control kit, aftermarket from Summit or Dakota Digital
-Procar seats, cloth.
-new air box, filter and possibly a snorkel
-sliders, probably CBI
-little interior stuff like cleaning, replacing broken trim, new e-brake handle, led lights, ect ect.
-cleaning up wiring, get back up lights working
-rebuild all power windows, new seals, channels, ect ect
-beef up rear links with some angle iron
-front bumper & winch, leaning towards Slee & Warn
-Rear bumper and tire carrier, maybe CBI
-trans temp gauge and possibly water + oil temps
-aux fuel tank
-belly skid, diff skids, e-locker skids

That is pretty much my for sure list in the next 1-2yrs. Here is my list of stuff I would like to do but may or may not.

-headers & re-do exhaust, I am not a big fan of how the exhaust is routed on the truck, even though it does work well.
-drawers, sleeping area, cargo storage, high lift mount inside
-2nd battery + fridge
-camp lighting and off-road lights
-re-gear
-Longfields and Polyperformance shafts
-100-series pads and vented rotors
-chromoly hub gears, upgraded studs, ect ect
-Aussie vinyl floor kit, Wagongear tailgate kit
-replace headliner and dash cap
-mean green alt.

I have already been going through the interior detailing it little bit by little bit. The truck spent it's life in the city and has what I am going to call smog stain. It is cleaning up but takes a lot of time and work to remove the smog stains. I have also been going through all the wiring on the truck already, cleaning every connection and sealing up with dielectric grease. Everything in the engine bay is done. I have a rear passenger power window giving me dramas. I already tore it apart once and fixed it up plus cleaned the channel but it has gone down again. The rest work ok but the channels are original along with the seals and at the least need a serious cleaning. I may be tackling a channel replacement in all of them plus new inner and out trim/seals. Not something I am looking forward to! Other than (hopefully) new tires + wheels and other little things here and there most of my above list I will get into next summer.

I also forgot to post about it but I weighed the truck not long ago, it came in at 5260lbs with a 1/4 tank of fuel, two people, two dogs and not much gear.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne