RMP&O's v8 80-series

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
is this the mongrel, or did that project die?

Different truck and it did not die. I am focusing on this truck for now along with a 1977 Nissan Patrol pickup I am building. I did buy an NOS dash pad for the Mongrel earlier this summer. One of the last in the country and it was not cheap! So ya, that project is not dead just a bit back burner.

Cheers

60Dan

Explorer
Yep, saw you a couple of times. Gave you the nod in town. ;)

Nice Cruiser! Couldn't tell it was a TD in passing, even nicer!

Cheers

Yeah gave you the thumbs up - your rig looked mean coming down the road!
Surprised you didnt notice the large amount of black smoke coming out the back ... the altitude change from Nashville (500ft elevation) messed up my fuel to air ratio! Looked like a coal train going down the street - dont think the rich folk were too amused! LOL

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So I went to wire up my LED light bar the other day and the wiring harness that came with it is to short to get the switch in the cab. So I am going to have to extend the switch wires a bit. Once I knew this I decided to upgrade the switch so I bought an Otrattw "LED light bar" switch. In addition to this I bought some items from Factor 55 to upgrade my winch. I also bought a Blue Sea fuse block, 12 port. Some of my wiring bugs me and I have way to much junk hooked up to my battery. So going to clean it all up and run it through the Blue Sea block, including the new LED light bar.

link to the new switch,
http://www.otrattw.net/CONTURA-V-LED-SINGLE-LIGHT-BAR-UPPER-LED-INDEPENDENT-V1D1GCHB-PZCS6-1LB.html

Just about ready to buy a new air box assembly. And I nearly have my castor riddle solved, not going to spill the beans on that yet but the solution is simple, reasonably cheap, super heavy duty and very soon I may buy all I need to do it.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Shocks

Alrighty, also a post about shocks....

Earlier in the thread you can see I raised the front of the truck to get rid of stink bug and level it out. I used some Metaltech 2" spacers and also retained the thin (1/4"?) OME yellow spacer. This got my truck really nice and level. It has sagged a touch since I put the winch and Slee bar on but not much, that set up only weighs a touch over 200lbs. Any ways, the suspension lift on the truck I believe was put on in 2005 as I found a date on the shocks. I know I have J coils in the rear but am not 100% sure on front springs, mediums is my guess. Rasiing the front end and removing the MAF radius arm drop brackets messed up my castor big time but that is another topic. What also happened is my OME shocks now only have 3" of down travel in the front end. IMHO, that is not enough and sucks!

So for awhile now I have been thinking about shocks but have had a punch list on what I want to do to the truck since I got it. Shocks are moving up that punch list. Last night looking around at Radflo's, Fox and King's. The Radflo's for about a 4-5" lift will run me over $1600. I sent Downsouth Motor Sports a message last night about Fox & King's. They were super fast to get back to me and gave a very complete and detailed reply. Here that is....

Good morning,

Thanks for the inquiry. On the King shocks for that 4" lift King can
custom build you a 2.5" reservoir shock to fit however you would need to
supply the measurements for the shocks you need for them to custom build
them. For reference the shocks custom built from King for that set up
would be $$1042.88 for the front pair and $993.01 for the rear pair.

Fox will offer a vehicle specific 80 Series 3-4" lift front & 3-5" lift
rear shock in their 2.0 Performance Series IFP (non -reservoir) shock
line. Those shocks are $117.00 each. If you wanted a remote reservoir
shock from Fox they do not have one that is specific for the 80 Series
but we can likely find a Factory Series reservoir shock close to fit the
specs you need and convert the mounts to make them fit. Most 4" lift
kits will use either a 10" or 11-11.5" travel shock. If that is the case
for your lift kit the Fox 2.0 Factory series reservoir shocks range
about $250-270 each for the front and $211-230 each for the rear
converted to fit the stock mounts on your 80 Series. Again we would need
the shock measurements required for your brand kit and we can see if we
can find something to fit.

Any other questions let us know.

Thank you,
Neil

Now they just won me over with customer service! Also I have nothing against Radflo at all, I simply prefer Fox or King over them with King being my top choice. I sent back an email to Neil to get a bit more info about both shocks. I am kind of leaning towards the Kings but justifying that much for shocks is difficult!

Any ways, I thought I would share this info as well as the killer response from DSMS.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Bought a ProCar Elite Lumbar seat yesterday for the drivers seat. I went with cloth in black. Should see the seat next week! Only doing drivers right now, will do passenger sometime in the future.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Procar seat showed up last week. I bought directly from Scat, took less than a week to get here. Pretty stoked on this, 23yrs on my stock one and 245,000 miles!

10660310_4678258772384_3556952985899490031_n.jpg

1924384_4678259412400_1273475213847239794_n.jpg

Scored a HUGE load of parts yesterday from a buddy. Everything from sun roof to dash cap (uncracked) to interior bits to heater parts and much more. Basically it was a whole gutted 80 and I took about 70% of it! Some of the small parts I needed to clean up my interior but most is simply spare parts.

The Y-link from RS also showed up last week. Going to be a little while before I install it, waiting on a RHD steering arm from Australia.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Been very busy but finally got around to fitting my new seat. I used some stock mounting brackets, welded to the Procar Universal Slider kit. Right now I have the seat bolted in as high as I can, I am 5'10" and have a few inches above my head. I can lower the seat two notches if I find I hit my head on the roof off-road. I really like the high seating position though, it is about 2" higher then stock. About 2-3x more adjustment in the slider over stock making for tons of room if you have long legs or if you are really short it slides all the way up to the dash. Overall, stellar seat. Oh and the seat is super comfy! :)

10616661_4815149314562_4852969834129815675_n.jpg

1779783_4815149754573_7541997538427032631_n.jpg

10665177_4815150314587_353102048463941885_n.jpg

Cheers

Shanfari

DhofarX.com
You're at my hight 5'10" :sombrero:. But I think you can fabricate a height adjuster to it. Those look amazing but I'm thinking of dual-belted seat in case I go to the desert with a helmet + roll cage so when I roll over I'd be safer. But this looks perfect and versatile. I might choose leather personally for mud purpose. Thinking of putting my badge on it too *_^

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Just had a great two days in the dunes with friends. Amazing weather for this time of year. My Cruiser performed perfectly, no issues whatsoever. A year ago I was over in the dunes and had some rubbing issues in front, mostly tire to wheel well arch. Now, not a single rub anywhere. I ran 8psi all weekend and the truck hooked up excellent in the sand. Love the seat, height wise it is just right for me. This Cruiser is really starting to come around and get to where I want it in terms of the build. So much so that I may have derided to keep it long term, I really like the truck.

10389233_4822421896372_2704372368412839916_n.jpg

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles