RMP&O's v8 80-series

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So some of you may recall my Tacoma, I had a build thread on here of it. Or perhaps my 84 v8 FJ60!? I had a few Toyota's in the last 6 or so years. I like them, a lot. The Tacoma was supercharged so had the power I like but in the end proved to be to light duty of a truck and to small. I drove it to Panama and back from Wyoming twice so got to know that truck well. The v8 FJ60 was awesome, I didn't really have any issues with it besides the 10-12mpg. I got rid of it for other reasons I won't get in to.

When I got the FJ60 I almost picked up an 80-series instead. I just didn't really want to deal with the stock motor. I know, I know, it is not a bad motor at all. But I like horse power and the 80's get heavy real fast when you start building them.

So anyways, I recently did a deal for a trade on another truck I have, in the swap I am getting a 1991 v8 FJ80. I don't have the truck yet so perhaps this thread is a bit premature. I am pretty excited though and the deal is done so figured I would post up on the truck!

If you are in the Land Cruiser know you have probably heard of Georg who owns Valley Hybrids out in California. He is a great guy, does awesome work and is strictly a Cruiserhead. He has been working on Cruisers for over 15yrs and is well known for his motor swaps and conversions, mostly v8's and diesels. Well, the truck I am getting is Georg's old shop truck or DD. So on with some specs and pictures!

1991 FJ80
-Chevy L31 v8, 255hp & 330ftlbs
-4L60E auto trans
-FJ60 split case
-FZJ80 axles with e-lockers
-OME lift with 35" rubber
-part time 4wd with f/w FJ60 hubs on the front axle :)

The truck has cloth interior which I like. It has fresh dark grey paint which I also like a lot. It has had a lot of work done to it in the last 5yrs. New alternator, new dizzy/cap/wires/ect, rebuilt knuckles and new FZJ80 brakes, FJ60 free wheeling hubs, fresh rebuild on the split case, new windshield and tint on side glass, new alternator, A/C works and blows cold and much more! It is pretty stock otherwise with no bumpers or bar work.

I plan to simply use the truck for the next year or two while I build another project I have. I may do some things to it like some bumpers and bar work. I am not a fan of the wheels and tires so I will likely change those out too. I may put in some Procar seats but the stock ones are not trashed so who knows. I may put a fridge in the back and do a few small other things. For the most part though I plan to just use it and enjoy it.

Here are some pictures, these are Georg's pics....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I doubt I will need anymore power above what the L31 has but if I do it is cheap and easy to get some power out of the engine. Summit shopping spree!? :) As you can see it is a real clean truck and if you know Georg you know it is done up right and in tip top order. I am stoked!

I will update this thread when I get the truck in about a month.

Cheers

Last edited:

UncleBilly

Observer
Looks like a nice set up to add on too. I'll follow along and when you sell it ill be stalking. Hoping too buy one of these sometime this year...

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I don't know Georg personally. However, following his threads on 'mud, you know it's done right!

I'm thinking about an 80 or another 100 for my next vehicle. Wife will be keeping the LX. A v8 80 sounds fun. I'll be following the build as well.

Enjoy!

shmabs

Explorer
Nice looking truck! I have been dreaming about a 60 or 80 series for a while now, and it seems like even though i have driven the newer 80 series with the more powerful inline 6, it could use some more power, a smallish gm v8 mated to a nice auto solves that problem nicely. I will be curious to see what sort of range/mpg you see out of this thing...

Thats about my dream starting point for a nice 80, have fun!

mike

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
I'm looking at going this route as well. my 1FZ is in need of some real work, so I have really been going down the road toward the GM V8. I followed the Jonsey 6BT build, but thats just really a lot more engineering for negligible return. My goals are just simple too, a more modern powerplant, a little bit more power, and a little better mileage. I'll be happy with a solid 18 in combined driving, which seems reasonable, given what I've seen of other builds like this.

I'll be watching yours as well.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the replies.

Initially I was like, nah, I don't want that truck (the v8 80). Mostly because of what I have on the back burner for a build with lots of the parts/stuff to build it yet still lacking some big important bits. I also was not to keen on the TBI fuel injection. Plus the truck didn't have the FZJ80 e-locker axles. Georg sweetened the deal though with the FZJ80 axles and he also tossed in the new t-case plus 5spd trans I need for my other build. With that the deal was struck. And hey the TBI isn't to bad, it is cheap and easy to work on and also reliable.

I have three work trucks but really don't enjoy driving them when it is not work time. So I kind of needed a good around town, DD, camping, road tripping truck. Another guy offered me a nice JDM high roof 60-series Cruiser with the 12HT diesel. I almost did that deal but it just didn't feel right. I think the v8 80 will suit me well, I am going to especially enjoy it this winter and it may even do a trip down to Baja in March next year. As a few others have said, it is a good base and if I want to do things to it or build it up there is lot's I can do. Or I can just enjoy it as is.

Oh and Georg is reporting 14-15mpg.

Cheers

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Right on, glad to see that wend to a good home! Get that FF swapped into the rear, while the SF FJ80 axles are pretty stalwart, a failure will leave you stranded as they are still a true c-clip axle. Beyond that they are a fantastic platform :cool:

Lionsgarage

Scoutfollower
By the way, that L31 is not TBI, it throttle body injected, (pic in above post) but is multi- point. That engine has the LT1 heads too.
Maybe the best non-LT1 and non LS engine to swap.
Enjoy.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
By the way, that L31 is not TBI, it throttle body injected, (pic in above post) but is multi- point. That engine has the LT1 heads too.
Maybe the best non-LT1 and non LS engine to swap.
Enjoy.

Sweet! I thought it may be multi-port but couldn't find much info on the engine doing some searches. That is a big bonus to me along with the LT1 heads.

Cheers

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
why the fj60 case? no adapters for an fj80?

Part-time 4WD, gear driven case with low range options. The 80 case is full-time 4WD, while a part time kit is available, it costs about 3x the going rate of the 1980-1990 split case. The split-case is rock solid, lots of gents running them behind big blocks and various diesels, a huge upgrade from the one-piece case of 40's and 55's and on par with plus the part-time compared to the 80 Series cases. There are several different split-case varieties, generally the later the better but the latest version is vacuum 4WD operated, a plus for some, minus for others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz