I have a shotgun question

SC T100

Adventurer
20g is the shiznit. i only have a 12, because i put money intro a 12 before i shot a 20. i dont do turduckins, so...

Yes, actually 20gs are extremely nice to shoot, especially for a 200+ round day. Although I really like over-unders for sporting, they seem to kick pretty hard unless they are heavy. A good 20g autoloader is a fantastic all around shotgun...shoot all day with significantly less kick, cool yellow shells, almost the same amount of lead shot as a 12g shell for skeet/sporting, holds more than two shells for home defense, and a little quieter on the ears. Almost makes me want to trade my 12ga SX3 for a 20g, except I need all the help (i.e. lead in the air) I can get out on the courses! That and the 12ga is just so awesome in a manly, I-can-take-the-kick sort of way. Sort of like firing a 3" mag 12ga round...that'll put hair on your chest and make you bleed internally.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Yes, actually 20gs are extremely nice to shoot, especially for a 200+ round day. Although I really like over-unders for sporting, they seem to kick pretty hard unless they are heavy. A good 20g autoloader is a fantastic all around shotgun...shoot all day with significantly less kick, cool yellow shells, almost the same amount of lead shot as a 12g shell for skeet/sporting, holds more than two shells for home defense, and a little quieter on the ears. Almost makes me want to trade my 12ga SX3 for a 20g, except I need all the help (i.e. lead in the air) I can get out on the courses! That and the 12ga is just so awesome in a manly, I-can-take-the-kick sort of way. Sort of like firing a 3" mag 12ga round...that'll put hair on your chest and make you bleed internally.

Love my 20ga 500! I shot plenty of 12ga, and after plenty of reading decided to go with a 20, there is a school of thought that says the much more mild recoil of the 20 will help get a second shot on target much easier in a HD/stress situation. My wife can aslo handle the 20 just fine.

Shot one 3" 12ga slug. that's enough for me.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That and the 12ga is just so awesome in a manly, I-can-take-the-kick sort of way. Sort of like firing a 3" mag 12ga round...that'll put hair on your chest and make you bleed internally.
Lightwieght...for goodness sake my teenage daughter wields a 12 with 3.5" turkey loads with no complaints. Seems like ExPo hyberbole to me.

madmax718

Explorer
I regularly do 50-80 rds of skeet without nary a problem. Just don't pansy the thing in your shoulder, and you'd be fine.

As for the indoor thing, the loud part depends on where you are. shotgun muzzles extend further, so the noise is at a different location. The noise is traveling outward further from the shooter. If you've spotted for someone who has a muzzle brake, you'd know what Im talking about- its quieter behind the shooter than being on the side.

20grains of solo 1000 vs ~5grains for .45acp. Mere powder amounts burning does not equate to noise levels, as shown below.

able 1. SHOTGUN NOISE DATA (DECIBEL AVERAGES)
.410 Bore 28" barrel 150dB
26" barrel 150.25dB
18 _" barrel 156.30dB
20 Gauge 28" barrel 152.50dB
22" barrel 154.75dB
12 Gauge 28" barrel 151.50dB
26" barrel 156.10dB
18 _" barrel 161.50dB

.45 ACP 157.0 dB

Either way, shooting indoors without hearing protection is a sure fire recipe for hearing loss.

madmax718

Explorer
nothing wrong with the 500 or the 870-both excellent, but I believe only the 590a1 meets the requirement, due to the aluminum trigger guard. Other details (barrels, cleaning, etc) I find the 870 to be a little bit more precise (as far as action goes, one could say its more refined), than the 500, but the 500 can really take a beating, sand, dirt, you name it, and it doesn't really complain. Mavricks are fine also, but I believe uses some imported parts. They have been upgraded from a single bar to a dual bar in current models (which if you've gotten a stuck round, do wonder if that pin is going to hold!)

And no, none of these will compare to an old winchester wingmaster. Those things are buttery. I had the pleasure to shoot one. I don't know if its the wood furniture, or what.

And the 870 and 500's should not be compared to the benelli m4. It is, and not, in the same category. A lovely shotgun, but believe it or not, I prefer the 870. (gasp)

zimm

Expedition Leader
i havent seen a silencer for a shotgun

you cant use a shotgun if an assailant is upon you (forearm up, gun at your belly. revolvers are best, you cant push them out of battery, but you dive up other advantages for a wheel)

sporting shotguns will have a 2-4 inch spread in a house maximum, so you essentially have 0.0% increased chance of hitting a target.

you will be blinded by your own muzzle blast. problematic for everything, but not with a silencer.

if you think that warning someone you cant see in the next room is a good idea (kinda stupid if you ask me), the average tweeker wouldnt know the difference between the slide of a browning High Power or a browning pump. he isnt gonna be more or less frightened by either.... but his strung out, pants ****ting self will know where to shoot first.... thats personal preference i suppose, but i think the only people that give that advise, are people just repeating what they heard without thinking it through.

i other words, my advise, get the sporting gun that suits you best, and lock it in the closet. then keep a glock and a can in the night stand.

SC T100

Adventurer
Lightwieght...for goodness sake my teenage daughter wields a 12 with 3.5" turkey loads with no complaints. Seems like ExPo hyberbole to me.

Ouch. Thanks a lot Haggis. Guess I need to start shooting skeet with 3.5 mags to keep ahead. Just assume I have something in my eye later...it definitely won't be me crying into my sheel bag.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Ouch. Thanks a lot Haggis. Guess I need to start shooting skeet with 3.5 mags to keep ahead. Just assume I have something in my eye later...it definitely won't be me crying into my sheel bag.

LOL...I couldn't resist bustin' your chops. By the way I find clay pigeons to have a earthy taste and texture and they don't cook up as nicely as a wild turkey.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
By the way I find clay pigeons to have a earthy taste and texture and they don't cook up as nicely as a wild turkey.
That's interesting. After a day at the range, I can never find any large enough pieces to try cooking them... :)

SC T100

Adventurer
LOL...I couldn't resist bustin' your chops. By the way I find clay pigeons to have a earthy taste and texture and they don't cook up as nicely as a wild turkey.

Haha! I figured. However I prefer my clay birds shattered, but not dusted, to dip in salsa...it cuts that earthy taste and texture a bit.

SGTCap

Adventurer
DO yourself a favor. If you're getting a pump gun, get a Benelli Nova. You can thank me later. This is coming from a guy with two 870s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior