I have a shotgun question

jmdjax

Adventurer
My buddy lent me his pump 12 ga today I've used double barrels, and autos before, but never a pump. There is one thing that really bugs me about it and I'm not sure if this is all pump action shotguns or just this one, but there is a small lever behind the trigger guard that has to be depressed in order to actually pump it. I think the logic is that when holding the firearm, it's automatically depressed (Like a beavertail safety on a 1911 .45). but it's NOT, it's literally right by the trigger guard, and my fingers are nowhere near it. I need to change my grip just to rack it. Is this on ALL pump shotguns or can you buy them without that safety lever? Or do some have more logical safeties?

Or should I just buy an Auto.. :)

jmdjax

Adventurer
Oh, I'm looking to get one I can shoot skeet with, keep for home defense, and possibly hunt with (quail, dove, etc). I had sort of narrowed it down to a Remington 870, (Is a 22" barrel too short?) but I'm thinking maybe an Auto if this weird lever safety thing is on all of them.

Any other suggestions would be great too!

apexkw

Thats only to open the slide initially...either to load one from the mag tube into the receivers breach or to open the slide to do a combat load directly into the receiver. Once the first shell has been fired you never have to push that button again until you reload. If your just playing with it trying to pump the shotgun without firing a live round you will have to press the button every time.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
You want that little sucker there trust me. (The action release control button). It keeps the pump handle (and bolt) from falling open all willy nilly. Apexkw is right in his above comment though, it's only for the first round in a series of rounds. Once you have fired a thousand rounds it'll be muscle memory and you won't mind anymore.

By the way.. I noticed you guys are from Florida, hey try to stay out of the news with all this home defense stuff ok.. :REOutShootinghunter

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The 870 is a decent shotgun for general purpose use, and you can swap out barrels quite easily. I have an older 870 manufactured in 1960 that stills see's regular use and works like a charm after many, many thousands of rounds through it. I have a 28" LC (light contour, or light weight in other words) skeet barrel with removable chokes, and a much shorter 18" fixed choke home defense barrel as well. You are at a bit of disadvantage using a pump action shotgun for skeet, because the action of cycling can interfere with your second shot when shooting doubles, but its a pretty minor factor and I regularly use mine for skeet shooting and do pretty well (21-23 is my average), but I much prefer our Berretta 681 double barrel over/under as a dedicated skeet gun. However, that classic pump action sound effect is a tremendous deterrent to any potential home invader. An auto or breech loader just is not the same :)

I personally don't care for semi-auto shotguns. I don't like the "ping" sound of the mechanisms cycling the round up against my cheek when I am lining up the second shot. I find that "ping" more distracting that the action of cycle a pump action shotgun, but that's probably just me. They sell gazillions of semi-auto's around here, so what do I know?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The little "button" is standard on pumps. Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are best of breed IMO and as evidenced by their military service record. I have a 500 that has been faultless.

The VEPR is a hoot. Get one while you can...

trump

Adventurist
The little "button" is standard on pumps. Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are best of breed IMO and as evidenced by their military service record. I have a 500 that has been faultless.

The VEPR is a hoot. Get one while you can...

Agreed. Those are the pumps of choice.

Also, it's hard to go wrong with semi-auto shotguns... I've yet to hear someone complain (in person anyway) about their semi-auto regardless of brand. I'm not sure what "ping" Nathan is referring to, but I've never noticed this with the inertia action of my Benelli. Note that it has the release for the feed tube that you originally inquired about as well. Oh, and when you rack a round... it makes the same music you hear from a pump shotgun. :wings:

gearguywb

Explorer
The button that you refer to is there for a function/safety reason, and all pumps will have one of some type or other. The reason for it is to keep the action "locked" until the round is fired. The button only needs to be depressed to cycle the action in the event the trigger has not been pulled.

Horrific things will happen if you fir the shotgun without the action fully closed and locked....same with any other type of weapon.

SilverBullet

Explorer
I have the Mossburg Maverick 88. It si the same as the 500 with a few less options you can swap. For Home Defense, the 18 1/2" barrel is perfect, but when I go skeet shooting, it gets hard. Longer barrel is for that, but the gun was bought for home. The other thing I love about my Maverick 88 was it was under $200 brand new.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
So now you know what the button is for. The only other advice I would give about pumps is:

Make sure your arms are long enough to cycle the action...especially if you go for a 3 1/2 inch chambered gun.

Find out now which safety you prefer. The mossberg has a tang safety on top of the receiver, and the 870 has the safety located by the trigger. Both are great designs but you may find one works better than the other for you.

Oh..and 22 inch barrels are very short for a target or sporting gun for wing shooting. You will likely swing past your target and your aim will likely suffer from such short barrels.

jmdjax

Adventurer
Ok, so basically I need to get something with two different barrels. That's fine, too. I just notice that some are made to be "dedicated" sporting guns, and others are made to be "dedicated" home defense guns, but aside from color, and action, and barrel length, I really don't see a difference in most of them. Benelli's are expensive, and shoot just the same as a $400 mossberg or remington. Right? Well, aside from the different action. Autos seem quite a bit more expensive.

haynesdad

Observer
Two barrels is a good idea, but if your budget is tight, a 26" is still a good compromise between home defense and hunting. All you really need for home defense is what you are comfortable with. This could be a 1911, a 12G, an AR..... Find what works for you.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Consider the Remington 870. That shotgun has been banged around in the trunks of police cars for what.. 40 years? Probably the best home defense shotgun you can own, when all is said and done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles