Full Size Dodge Thread

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Ok Dodge guys, does anyone have any experience with the 2014 models? I'm tossing around ideas on what to do. Might trade the jeep in on either a 3500 Cummins, a 3500 with 6.4 Hemi, or a remote possibility is a 1500 diesel. I'm curious if anyone has driven the 6.4 and if so, what their impressions are?

98dango

Expedition Leader
My adopted dad just got a Mega cab dually cummins loves it tows great. He is less than impressed with the current fuel mileage 8 loaded 13 empty. It is under 10k mileage and he was told it will suck till 30k but it still hurts.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Got to drive a 14 3500, Quad Cab LB SRW with the 6.4 and liked it a lot. Fit and finish is much better and it had plenty of getup and go. My friend has been averaging 13 so far. He was a diesel guy through and through but he didn't want a bad sensor to leave him stuck somewhere with his 5er.
-jorge

01 Reg Cab Tacoma

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The complexity of the modern diesel is what has me wondering. I am an exhaust brake addict however, and while the hp numbers on the gas engines are impressive, the torque is nothing spectacular. The 13 mpg out of the 6.4 would be ok if it were when towing or with my camper on, but I will assume that number is an empty / dd figure?

I guess I'll spend a bit of time in the 4th gen section of Cumminsforum and see what the scoop is. If it's a horror show, I'll look harder at the gassers.

chet6.7

Explorer
DSC_04683.JPG

SAR_TRUCK1.jpg

I like your brush bar,what brand is it?
Thanks.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
The complexity of the modern diesel is what has me wondering. I am an exhaust brake addict however, and while the hp numbers on the gas engines are impressive, the torque is nothing spectacular. The 13 mpg out of the 6.4 would be ok if it were when towing or with my camper on, but I will assume that number is an empty / dd figure?

I guess I'll spend a bit of time in the 4th gen section of Cumminsforum and see what the scoop is. If it's a horror show, I'll look harder at the gassers.

Yes, 13 around town/dd. He's expecting 8ish towing his 5er. Still breaking it in actually, I got to drive it with like 700 miles on it. It replaced a 2003 F-350 7.3 that has frame rot from our NJ Salty winters. Otherwise, he'd still be driving his ford. I owned a 2nd Gen with the VP44 and the fit and finish of the interior was terrible for me and my 04 Jeep GC reminds me of it. Also I couldn't get the thing to stop wandering down the road. It was tiresome on the highway to keep the truck in the lane, now I would have no problem buying a 2nd gen and getting it sorted out but 8 years ago there was less info about it and it left me with a bad taste for Dodge. The new one really impressed me and as I've voiced in other threads, I'm only going to own a Mechanically injected diesel or the newest Gasser I can afford. Seeing and Driving the Ram made me sure I would test drive one against a Ford.

-jorge

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The new gassers have at least as many sensors as the diesels.
That being said my friend drove his brother's 2012 1/2 ton Hemi from San Diego to the eastern Sierras and was blown away with the fit and finish,power and especially the fuel economy. They averaged over 18 mpg,stock tires and hauling tail. He's used to low end diesel power. The hemi comes on at higher rpm's. Passing was instantaneous.
I'm driving my last diesel. My 2nd gen wore me out with the wandering,but was heaven compared to my prior f-250 w POS TTB front axle. Fit and finish was excellent and never a rattle just like my '07.
My '07 is light years ahead of the '98.5 and w/57K it'll be awhile before I change.
I'd get on a Dodge gasser forum and consult the owners.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

We'll have to see what Nissan does with the 5.0 Cummins. I'd feel more comfortable with Toyota developing it. We'll see.

RoyJ

Adventurer
The new gassers have at least as many sensors as the diesels.

It's not so much the number of sensors, but the maturity and (lack of) complexity of the emissions system.

A gasoline engine is much better sorted out than a post-07 emissions diesel. I wouldn't think twice about starting up a HEMI at 20 below and idle straight for an hour. Try that, repeatedly, on an ISB and you'll need a serious regen / DPF clean.

Darwin

Explorer
Redthies, Have you thought about purchasing a 3rd gen 1 ton with a blown motor and swapping in a rebuilt turned up 12 valve?? I know it's been done, would be a big project, but then you get the best of both worlds.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Redthies, Have you thought about purchasing a 3rd gen 1 ton with a blown motor and swapping in a rebuilt turned up 12 valve?? I know it's been done, would be a big project, but then you get the best of both worlds.

The thought has crossed my mind. The only stumbling block is the 9900 GVW for a 3500 srw. I need 11,000 +/- to carry my camper. But look what followed me home today. ' 94 12 valve with only 140 on the clock. I know the previous owner (for past 10 years). It's also bone stock with a 5 speed. Oh, and the best part? I'm only out $500 to buy it! (I was owed a $1000 for a referral, so $1500 paid). It's a perfect swap donor... I'll get the wax out this weekend and see if it shines up nice:D

imagejpg1_zps9243375b.jpg

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
Ok Dodge guys, does anyone have any experience with the 2014 models? I'm tossing around ideas on what to do. Might trade the jeep in on either a 3500 Cummins, a 3500 with 6.4 Hemi, or a remote possibility is a 1500 diesel. I'm curious if anyone has driven the 6.4 and if so, what their impressions are?

hey red, FWIW

i ordered a 2014 3500 drw
cab/chassis standard cab
cummins, g56 6 speed
2wd

special ordered it in december, got it in late march. had the bed fitted in April and now i have about 14,000 miles on it.
just did the first oil change and both fuel filters.

with the introduction of the new suspension, the gvw is 14,000 on a 3500!

overall the truck is great, the new radius arm suspension rides extremely smooth.
just be warned, the manual trans trucks come de-tuned to 650 ft/lbs and have extremely aggressive "torque management". its not quick, but a tuner would fix all that.

it weighs right at 12,500 the way i drive it everyday, and I'm getting 13-14 MPG on my mostly hwy commute.

i did not opt for the 4.10 gears, they are 3.73 i think

the DEF tank holds about 6 gallons and i get about 3000-3500 miles from a tank, about $35 of DEF if i remember, inconvenient, but the system has been flawless so far.

i have spent all my time getting it set up, my 97 12v has been neglected these last few months

not "expo" but i do love to show it off

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 90

purdytj

seeker
The death of our overlanding rig

I had forgotten about this thread until some of you had posted on it lately.
This summer our 12-valve met an untimely death. We think the return fuel line became disconnected at the injection pump, but won't ever be sure: the hood welded itself shut. Check out the long version of the story here: http://purdygreatlife.weebly.com/2014-blog

More photos are on the blog, but here are some that capture the story pretty well.

We've made the switch to a 2007 Duramax (www.purdygreatlife.weebly.com/truck).

5497262_orig.jpg

3051489_orig.jpg

306620_orig.jpg

2551275_orig.jpg

705397_orig.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz