Expo Rookie with a Ford

bass4570

Hello everyone, I have been reading for a while and finally had a reason to post something. First, this is the most professional, interesting, and enjoyable forum I have ever seen especially compared to some others out there. Anyhow, I am extremely envious of everyone's rigs and adventures. At just 19, and living on the east coast (Maryland) I haven't been able to make it out west yet, but it is my dream to do what you guys do. I found my self needing a new vehicle a few months ago and after a long internal debate I went with a 2010 F-150. I love the Toyota Tacoma and what it can do however, using my truck mostly for fishing and camping, the short bed was going to be an inconvenience for my 7' 1-piece fishing rods. Also, after going on countless camping trips with my friend who has a 1st gen and a 2nd gen Toyota, I noticed leaving certain things because they take up too much room. I also wanted a locking rear but that was only available with the short bed Toyota ( on the double cab model) .So after seeing the F-150 with the massive amount of room in the cab and the 36 gallon fuel tank with the locking rear I decided it was the best truck for myself. Im thrilled about the consistent 21+mpg fuel mileage equaling just under 800 miles per tank!:) (got 23.5 on a 200 mile highway trek) I plan on putting a fiberglass cap on it and using the bed to sleep out of. I would also like to add a roof rack that mounts on the bed and goes around the cap, I believe that will be much sturdier for hauling gear. When these tires wear out I plan on getting some slightly larger all terrains... any suggestions? Im open to any ideas on how to make this a little more off road capable or just more adventure-ready. I don't think I want to go crazy and attempt to make it a rock crawler because although I plan to go out west several times, since im so far its not going to be an every weekend kind of thing.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 99260123e5f825528652e2422e7c2cf3x.jpg
    99260123e5f825528652e2422e7c2cf3x.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 327
  • 3b328ddddab28da4db46b7402eaa2e7cx.jpg
    3b328ddddab28da4db46b7402eaa2e7cx.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 324

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Welcome.
-
A close friend of mine has the same year F150. His is an extended cab. He put a spacer on the front suspension to level his out, and the ride height seems perfect for what we do. He fitted 265/75 r18 tires. (I think) Skinnier and taller (32.5"?) than stock. It's the nicest half ton truck I've driven yet. I would have put slightly taller tires on. 33x11.5 or so.

Last edited:

JoesOutdoors

Welcome x2

I have a 2009.Its been a great pickup,we've been enjoying hunting and fishing with it also.It is a great plattform for all we do offroad.Enjoy your new truck.:ylsmoke:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Ground clearance and good tires will take you far. There is such a wealth of knowledge on this site; take advantage of it. Do your homework before you sink money into your truck.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Nice truck. Don't have to in order to have fun, but I like to go big. I find a 4" lift and 35" tires to be a good balance in off road performance and keeping it easy to live with. A full size is limited in that they are too large/long for some of the tight trails... but raising them does help in the rough areas. Good decision on the lockers. More than even a lift, lockers and good tires will keep you going most of the time. BF Goodrich All terrain TAs are great on the road and in snow, but they pack up in mud quick. I run Toyo Open Country MTs. Absolutely phenomenal off road, yet they behave well on the street. You'll really enjoy the camper shell. Out of the weather, lockable storage... and you can sleep safe and sound in the pouring rain/sleet/hail/snow...

SightPicture

Observer
****** yea dude. My trucks brother. I don't know how you get that mileage but whatever you're doing keep it up. Definitely level it. I went with the Auto Spring 2" kit. In addition to a set to Cooper AT3's. Love it. I also have a cap and dude it's nice. Good start at 19, take care of it and have fun in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94