ARB vs ironman awning

Mragu

I am looking at getting either an ARB or Ironman awning. I have read that they are very similar and seem to be close in price. What is the consensus on picking between these two manufacturers? Any differences worth discussing? I am inclined to go with ARB as it is a better know name. Any input would be appreciated.

trailscape

Explorer
I'm not certain, but I believe they are all the same item out of China branded to each individual company just as many of the rooftop tents are. That said, I've been pretty happy with my ARB awning with mosquito net.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'm not certain, but I believe they are all the same item out of China branded to each individual company just as many of the rooftop tents are. That said, I've been pretty happy with my ARB awning with mosquito net.

Not necessarily true. While many 'put your name here' versions of tents and awnings are out on the market, you won't find that with ARB. Take their Simpson II tent, a year plus after they discontinue and move to their updated and improved Simpson III tent, Ironman releases their tent which is in fact very similar to the now discontinued model. Not to say there isn't a market for both but there is a reason ARB moved from them ;) ARB is now on their Simpson IIID model tent which again raises the bar from the SIII, IIIB, IIIC models. Likewise with many other brands of tents, while they look similar from 10', close inspection reveals different tent material, bow construction, hinge thickness, floor structure, ladder, etc. Now there are obviously many that are the same... but ARB is not one of them.

As for awnings themselves, I've not seen any of Ironman's latest offerings, they may be very similar, I can't comment there. ARB's latest version has been working out great, spares are available through their US dealer network and the material and cover are right there in quality with their latest RTT offerings.

NetDep

Adventurer
I went with the ARB - for name recognition mostly. I know they make a good product - LOVE their chairs and have handled other products of theirs as well. Not a lot of places to handle awnings so it is a one shot kind of deal around here. I like it A LOT....bit of a hassle to set up in the wind alone - but can be done. Holds down VERY well when pegged - as is suggested.

Attachments

• Memaloose_Med_Galley_Blur.jpg
    Memaloose_Med_Galley_Blur.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8881.jpg
    IMG_8881.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Memaloose_Med_Blur.jpg
    Memaloose_Med_Blur.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 75

trailscape

Explorer
Here's my ARB awning with mosquito net. I've seen pictures of the Ironman with a fully enclosed awning which is something I might find really useful.

IMGP1717.jpg

Richietherocket

Adventurer
So I have both an Ironman and an ARB awning on my FJC.
I have the little 4ft ARB that is great. Easy to deploy, gives good shade for the rear table built into the door. No complaints. I have had it for about 6 months now. Gets deployed every weekend while I am at bike races.

I just got the 6.5ft Ironman over the weekend from TRDParts4u. They did not have it stock, as most dont carry them in stock anyhow. Was shipped direct from Ironman (NJ office that is moving to CA) within 5 days to me in Colorado. They are primarily the same awning. The bags are different, the guy lines are different and the tent stakes are different. That is about it. The cool thing with the Ironman, they have built in LED lights now. One strip that comes with a cigarette charger and an adapter to your battery to light them up. The poles, the fabric and the patches at the corners are all the same.

I really wanted the matching ARB 6.5ft awning but nobody had them, ARB did not know when they were getting them. The ARB guy was up front, appreciated my business and loyalty but said if you really need to have one, you should find someone who has one. I told him about the Ironman one and he did not talk "bad" about it one bit. Props to them for not trying to bash another product.

I have to say though, I like the Ironman awning. The bag is black so it does not show off the red dirt of the desert. The LED is a nice touch. Eli at Ironman was great to speak with about the differences and availability of them. Plus TRDParts4u has a coupon for 10% off all Ironman products (ironman10) and they do free shipping on all Ironman stuff. Got the awning for $214.00 shipped to my door. Saved about $60 dollars over anyone else.

Good luck with your decision. Biggest question is: Do you want a big black bag or a big tan bag on the side of rig?

Last edited:

Mragu

Thanks

Guys,
I really appreciate all of the inpiut and comments. I suppose I am even more confused now. I need to see what , if any retailers have the ARB awning in stock. I also need to look at what dealers that support this website have one or both for sale.

NetDep- Very nice TD trailer. Impressive set-up.

Trailscape- How do you like the mosquito net? I am in Florida and it would come in handy. However, nets tend to make things real hot. Your experience?

Richietherocket- Great insight and information. I had not heard about any LED ligths in the Ironman awning. That is a nice bonus. I have a black vehicle but also like the tan canvas. I thought the Ironman was green. Did this change?

trailscape

Explorer
I got my 6.5 ARB awning for $214 shipped from Autoplicity toward the end of July. No problems getting the awning at the time. It was the mosquito net that was challenging. I think you still might be able to get them from Sierra Expeditions.

Cowboy59

Observer
FWIW I use the heck out of my CVT awning and when one of the poles bent (totally my fault) Bobby, the owner of CVT, was on it quick. He shipped out a replacement pole very quick. Don't know if you would get that kind of customer service from either Ironman or ARB. Quality of the CVT is awesome, just a thought.

Ziv

Observer
I have the CVT awning and a CVT RTT. The CVT awning is virtually identical to the ARB.
I live in Bend, OR where CVT is located, These folks are squared way and bend over backwards in their customer service. Highly recommend.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
Guys,
I really appreciate all of the inpiut and comments. I suppose I am even more confused now. I need to see what , if any retailers have the ARB awning in stock. I also need to look at what dealers that support this website have one or both for

Try northwesty in renton, wa. I know they have arb netting and pretty sure they have the awnings...although they may be the longer ones....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz