My Build Thread: 1998 F-150 AKA Trunchbull

sipx

The RV Guy
Nice job! I devised an extension for my JEEP Cherokee that allows for me (6'1"), my nine year old son, and our 90 pound dog. It extends my floor and sides about 2 feet, and has 1/2 plywood sides and spacer for between the floor extension and the rear tailgate. You could easily design an extension for the Ford, as I'm sure the cost would be much less for materials over the truck-tent. Let us see how it goes...

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Raul.

I checked out that off road club website. Looks like a good start. I want to do a trip somewhere in the next week or so. Thinking one or two nights if you're interested. Last minute type thing. I was thinking DV or Joshua Tree or somewhere in the desert for some winter time warm weather.

Raul B

Explorer
Thanks, Raul.

I checked out that off road club website. Looks like a good start. I want to do a trip somewhere in the next week or so. Thinking one or two nights if you're interested. Last minute type thing. I was thinking DV or Joshua Tree or somewhere in the desert for some winter time warm weather.

Thanks... the club is def in the beginning stages but im hoping more people join up so we can get a trip started soon. I actually want to hi DV or Joshua tree in Jan as well... Have you been to either of them?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
No not yet... I did the Joshua Tree trip a few years back in college...but it was a different type of trip (Pun intended! haha!)...

Anyways, I want to go back and explore the beauty of the place for 2 or 3 days. Ill keep you informed.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately, I will not be going. I coach a middle school lacrosse team and we're in the beginning of the season with games every weekend :-(

Next year hopefully!

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
I just picked up a 1999 F150 and thinking of going the same route as you. Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Ps: Death Valley in January is amazing!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Hey guys,

Not to many updates... I've been camping a few times in the desert but havent had any time the last few months since I am still in season (see post #25). The sleeping platform turned out awesome...actually much more comfortable than I anticipated. Plenty of room for all my gear and its long enough and wide enough to fit the gf and myself. My only complaint is that its a bit harder to fit my surf board in the bed haha.

I am actually not really going to put much more money into this truck other than gas and oil changes, I'm about a month or two from buying a T4R Trail Edition so I will be selling my beloved truck :( so if anyone wants a well used but well taken care of truck for cheap let me/them know!

D

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Time for a little bump for my lovely Trunchbull

I have been researching and talking about buying a T4R or a new Tacoma for some time now. I even have a thread about it haha...fail.

I still havent found the right one...they are either way to expensive or have way too many miles so I'm kind of in an anti new vehicle phase so I decided to put some money into my current vehicle.

I need to spend about 1k to get some issues fixed. The headlight problem I stated above is actually an internal problem that I don't have the skills or time to fix. My 4x4 only works when it wants to which sucks because I am afraid to adventure very far. And I believe a bearing is going out in my front driver side wheel. When I turn left at a stop light it makes a clicking noise so gotta get that fixed.

I think for now I'm going to get those fixed then maybe get an ARB compressor of some type to fill up tires, some new shocks (needed) and maybe some type of small light bar and call it at that for a while.

What do you guys think?

bigT74

busted knuckles
Diver,

IMO, I would stick to what you have and build from there, full size trucks are hard to beat on a long run for comfort and storage. From what you are describing with the headlights I'd start from the relay and work my way out to the headlight for finding the issue. A guy I work with has same model truck and he had similar issue and we found it was a relay problem in his HI/LO beam circuit that would't allow the circuit to the headlight to be completed. I don't remember if the 4x4 on Ford is done the same way as GM with the electro shift on the transfer case but I had an identical issue with my 1500HD that turned out to be the 4LO encoder motor (electric transfer case shifter) I replaced that and my issue went away. Make sure you get out to a dirt road at least once a month and run it in 4LO for a minimum of 5 miles to ensure everything is working without issue, then another 10 in 4HI. I do this every month on my 1500HD. I haven't had an issue in almost 18 months since I started that.

to check the bearing quickly. chock the rear tires and jack up your front end and put on jack stands so you have a little over an inch under the front tires. Try to wiggle the tire and see if you have any play, from what you are describing it sounds more like a CV axle issue so check your boots to make sure they aren't cracked/split which will cause them to fail faster.

as far as the ARB compressor those things are great to have, and pricey. I am a fan of using the Dive Tank style air tanks. They will run an impact, fill tires, almost anything you need short of seating a bead on a rim.

good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne