My Build Thread: 1998 F-150 AKA Trunchbull

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
BigT,

Thanks for the reply!

I ended up taking it in to a shop to get the 4x and light fixed. I needed a whole new set of brakes and a couple other things I didnt want to do. For the lights, they said it was a blown fuse...which they replaced and it worked. 4 months later it went out again and I cant find the said fuse that blew so...

For the 4x- it ended up being the electric shifter that sits on top of the t-case. They said the motor blew. Ok, makes sense with over 200k miles.... it only worked for about 3 months. Back to not working.

Need to bring it back to the repair shop but I have had 0 time lately unfortunately.

bigT74

busted knuckles
Diver,

I am pretty sure the fuse box is passenger side foot compartment? On the 4x4 Try disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes to give time for computer to reset, like you were trying to clear codes. Then reconnect and hop in, crank it up, put it in neutral and see if you can get to 4HI then drive it to test. If not head over to a autozone or advance auto parts they will loan you a code scanner you can find out what, if any codes are being popped. if it is the same issue with the encoder motor (electric shift) go get a GENUINE motorcraft part to replaced failed encoder motor, DO NOT buy aftermarket part for it. GM and Ford vehicles do not like aftermarket electronics like that. General rule of thumb for replacement parts is if it has a circuit board buy genuine parts. They're more expensive yes but you get better quality control, and usually a better warranty. Also when was the last time you changed the transfer case fluid?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
You're correct on the fuse box location. None of them are blown! They all look perfect.

Ill give the battery disconnect a shot. Anything will help! I'll have to check about what part they ordered but I am pretty sure it was genuine. I remember discussing the price difference with the guy at the shop, ill have to check tho. And good call on the fluid. Im changing my oil this weekend so Ill add it to the list!

Thanks again!

escadventure

Adventurer
SD, in regards to your bearing- If your bearing is going out, it will likely make a whizzing or humming sound which gets louder with increased speed. The clicking while turning you describe could be indicative of a CV joint on your IFS wearing out.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Escadventure, Thanks for chiming in. I initailly thought the sound was my CV's also but I replaced those about 2 years ago. First thing I did was check the boot. Still look fresh and is not torn. Either way I greased everything I could and slowly the noise went away. Now it only makes the noise if I turn hard to the left at a high speed. Kind of like going through a big intersection trying to make a yellow light.

How are you liking your flatbed and fernweh? What did you decide on the rear suspension?

escadventure

Adventurer
Regrding you CV, if it was me, I'd leave it like that until it started making noise more often before I change it. I'm hard headed like that...

As for our set up, still love it. I continue to look over other people's set up (of all kinds) and am convinced we made the right decision for our goals/expectations. Wife loves it too. I can't stress enough, how important that is... Just yesterday finished the axle gear swap to 4.10's. Also installed a Detroit True Trac in the front. Only driven it enough to know everything works and not making noise. I'll post later, the change in driving characteristics of the truck, after I drive it a bit more.
Installed the HD helper springs on the back and they're working great. They settled a little (between 0.5 and 1 inch). When I get back stateside next year I'm planning on talking to Deaver about a complete spring pack. It might have been you that suggested them? Just too difficult for the logistice from here.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Regrding you CV, if it was me, I'd leave it like that until it started making noise more often before I change it. I'm hard headed like that...

As for our set up, still love it. I continue to look over other people's set up (of all kinds) and am convinced we made the right decision for our goals/expectations. Wife loves it too. I can't stress enough, how important that is... Just yesterday finished the axle gear swap to 4.10's. Also installed a Detroit True Trac in the front. Only driven it enough to know everything works and not making noise. I'll post later, the change in driving characteristics of the truck, after I drive it a bit more.
Installed the HD helper springs on the back and they're working great. They settled a little (between 0.5 and 1 inch). When I get back stateside next year I'm planning on talking to Deaver about a complete spring pack. It might have been you that suggested them? Just too difficult for the logistice from here.

Sounds good, happy to hear you both are enjoying it! Yes, I was the one who suggested Deaver. They are in Southern California. I believe they used to be in San Diego but now they are in Santa Ana which is about 30 mins south of LAX. I know tons of people in the offroad community who use them. Lots of desert racing guys use them for their chase trucks, tow trucks and race trucks.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Nothing really new...still have some problems to fix and cant decide if I'm ready to sell it and cant decide what I would want if I were to sell it. And I work way more than I should for someone my age so the truck gets put on the back burner...

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty sure there is something funky in the electrical system. The electric motor on top of the t case that engages the 4x4 keeps getting burnt out as if I was constantly turning the 4x4 on and off. Being an electric 4x4 I can trace the power all the way to the t case motor and that's where everything stops. In addition to that, my driver side headlight goes out once the t case motor starts to act up.

Its possible its a coincidence but BOTH times the t case motor has been replaced it works fine for about a month, then only works intermittently (which is when my light has gone out both times), then it doesn't work at all. When the headlight stops working its only the low beam, When I switch it to high beams both headlights work. Its a simple fuse that needs to be replaced which is no big deal.

I have been trying to research this for quite some time and have not been able to find the reason. Someone mentioned to only use an OEM t case motor so that will be my next step. Luckily my mechanic has been awesome about it and hasn't charged me much to try and get this figured out.

Advice is VERY welcome if you have any. This problem really hinders my ability to go out and explore obviously.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
That sounds like quite the headache. I'm glad you have a good mechanic. These trucks can be picky about non-factory/non-Motorcraft parts.

I just started an Expo retrofit of my 98 about 2 months ago. I am working through some mechanical issues before I start upgrading anything. Alternator died 2 days ago. Plan on replacing that as soon as I get a sunny day.
I'll probably start a progress thread after I flush out the existing problems.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Nothing too major at the moment(I hope).

- I need to replace my alternator and serp belt
- I might need to replace the battery since the alternator died
- Front and Rear Shocks need replacement
- Need to replace all 8 spark plugs
- Fuel Filter does not want to come out at the moment

But once all the above non-fun stuff is done, I can start on a few fun off-road upgrades.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Sounds pretty simple...with the exception of the spark plugs. Since its a 98 I assume its over 100k miles correct? If it is over 100k miles, I assume the plugs have been changed before.

Either way, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL when removing the plugs. They have a tendency to strip/break off. If that happens you either need a new head which will run you about $1500 or you will have to do a heli-coil (I think that's what it's called) for about $800. I suggest taking it to a mechanic and have it professionally done. It is a common problem on most Ford from that generation all the way up to 2002/3 I believe. There are tons of threads on Ford Truck forums regarding this so make sure you do your research!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94