My Build Thread: 1998 F-150 AKA Trunchbull

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Update: Took off my shell in anticipation of buying a new dual sport... Well I decided not to buy it so I have been cruising around without my shell for about 2 months now. Kinda weird at first but its amazing the difference there is without a shell and all my gear. My truck seems much faster and much more bouncy... With the harsh San Diego "winter" on its way, I think it might be time to put it back on...I kind of want to redo the sleeping platform and make more room. 2 people on the platform is a little tight, some pieces of wood have broken and I am much better at building things than I was when I initially made the platform so I think I'll be able to do it much better. Thinking I might do the a box on each side and then have a piece of wood in the middle to make it one big platform...still playing with the idea of it all. Desert season is right around the corner and that's when I do the majority of my exploring.

Haven't done much to my truck other than drive it and reg maint...still on the edge of getting a new vehicle, as usual.

Anyone have any recommendations as to the proper types and sizes of wood to use? First time around I made the box out of 2x2's (i think) the base supports made out of 2x9's (again, I think) and then slapped some wood on top and called it a day.

This time around I want to go lighter.

Ready. Set. Advice.

Thanks!

Raul B

Explorer
Update: Took off my shell in anticipation of buying a new dual sport... Well I decided not to buy it so I have been cruising around without my shell for about 2 months now. Kinda weird at first but its amazing the difference there is without a shell and all my gear. My truck seems much faster and much more bouncy... With the harsh San Diego "winter" on its way, I think it might be time to put it back on...I kind of want to redo the sleeping platform and make more room. 2 people on the platform is a little tight, some pieces of wood have broken and I am much better at building things than I was when I initially made the platform so I think I'll be able to do it much better. Thinking I might do the a box on each side and then have a piece of wood in the middle to make it one big platform...still playing with the idea of it all. Desert season is right around the corner and that's when I do the majority of my exploring.

Haven't done much to my truck other than drive it and reg maint...still on the edge of getting a new vehicle, as usual.

Anyone have any recommendations as to the proper types and sizes of wood to use? First time around I made the box out of 2x2's (i think) the base supports made out of 2x9's (again, I think) and then slapped some wood on top and called it a day.

This time around I want to go lighter.

Ready. Set. Advice.

Thanks!
Have you considered installing a decked system for your sleeping platform?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I have thought about it but X'd the idea due to price...but now that I think about it... if I get another F-150, which is most likely what I'll do, I could most likely swap it into a new one. I don't think the beds are all that different.

The decked systems are about 1k aren't they?

But I also enjoy making stuff in my garage so...

Edit: Checked the site and it says $1100 for my truck...Seems like a lot for a truck with 220k on the odo.

Last edited:

Raul B

Explorer
I have thought about it but X'd the idea due to price...but now that I think about it... if I get another F-150, which is most likely what I'll do, I could most likely swap it into a new one. I don't think the beds are all that different.

The decked systems are about 1k aren't they?

But I also enjoy making stuff in my garage so...

Edit: Checked the site and it says $1100 for my truck...Seems like a lot for a truck with 220k on the odo.
Pm me. I can probably get you a better price than that....

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Sleeping platform remodel starts this weekend.

Shell will have power
Smaller bed
Different storage setup
Will have a spot for hanging clothes.

I'm contemplating living/sleeping in the bed 2 times a week instead of commuting my 160 miles daily.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
looks like you have fun with it. Are you keeping or trading it?

No plans for right now...I go back and forth all the time as far as selling it or not. I hit 236k the other day so I assume the engine will die at some point so once that happens and I am forced to do something, I will.. Besides, no reason to have a car payment. I've been very interested in getting a gasser Excursion for a while. Soooo sexy.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Well. She's finally gone. Rear end went out AGAIN and I really did not want to drop another grand on a truck that was almost at its end. So I leased a 2018 F150. I got it for a smoking deal so couldn't say no. Lets me save for my next truck, anyways. A nice gentleman towed it away with 249,310 on the odometer.

I had many memories and many miles in that truck and I will miss it. But I am starting to love my new truck and all the perks that come with new technology trucks.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my build thread!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What was the reason for so many rear end rebuilds?
I think its just from a weak rear end. I towed alot and its the smaller 8.8 rear end. Two of the times it was the spider gear so I'm not sure if there's something more to it. One of the rebuilds is because the actual housing was bent. I never went overboard with the truck offroad or anything so it could be anything. I'm glad I don't have to worry about it anymore!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94