My Build Thread: 1998 F-150 AKA Trunchbull

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Hey everyone!

Been on here for a few months and have been semi active learning how cool the site is and giving some feedback on builds and such. For now Im introducing my truck and giving you some insite on my plans/needs for my truck.

For starters:
1998 F-150
4.6L
4x4
Glasstite Shell
Michelin A/T's
HID Headlights
CB
Ride-Rite Air Bag system
Brake Control

Thats about is as far as aftermarket stuff. I bought the truck with 108xxx on the clock in December 2007. The Engine was replaced at 50xxx miles for some crazy MAF malfunction. I now have 198xxx on the clock. In the last 10k Miles I have rebuilt the rear end and replaced the front end.

This is my DD so I am going to keep suspension mostly stock. My needs for this adventure rig are as follows:
Keep it as my DD
Be able to tow a small boat (18ft) to Mex. I am very into spearfishing and diving so this will be my main Mex adventure rig for spearing trips.
Be able to handle the roads in mex but also be able to handle the terrain of the south west states (CA, AZ, UT, CO, NM, NV)
I will be sleeping in the bed
Be able to hold all my gear (obviously)

So here is the list of NEEDS:
Fix a head light (bulb went out)
Add additional lights (HID & LED)
New shocks
Bed Storage (above head or below, still undecided)
Blue Sea Fuse box to bed for power of lights, radios, music, etc.
Roof rack

Thats all I plan for right now. Future will be custom rear bumper, custom roof rack, winch, etc. Future future plans is SAS :)

Thats all I can think of now. I will obviously be updating this thread as it SLOWLY comes together. Here is a pic of trunchbull as it sits now.

image.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

D

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
So my first question/project:

Im going to build a storage system/sleeping platform in the bed and going to mount a blue Sea fuse box somewhere so I can wire lights, and have power in the shell. I plan on getting this http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Circuit-Ground/dp/B000THQ0CQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=lamps-light&srs=3019301011&ie=UTF8&qid=1380553423&sr=1-2&keywords=Blue+Sea

I see a lot of you use 10 or 12 gauge wire to power the fuse box. Easiest way to do that is to wire directly from the battery correct? Is it ok to have a wire running through the cab, all the way to the bed to power it? Or would it be smarter to wire it to the cab somewhere and then go from there? What gauge works best for powering lights and a 12v outlet? I have been searching a lot of the other threads about truck shell mods and storage mod threads and they have been very helpful so thank you to those of you who have given your input thus far.

Thanks for any help!

D

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
there are ways to calculate wire size based on distance and the amp draw of the devices you plan to run. maybe try google

i didn't want to run a big wire from the battery to the bed, so i simply threw another battery in the bed, under my sleeping platform. then i used the trailer wiring circuit to charge the aux battery. that way when i'm camping, or using lights/12v outlets in the shell, i dont have to worry about my truck not starting.

good looking truck!

my $0.02.......don't run HID bulbs in factory headlights, its dangerous for on-coming traffic, and illegal in most areas.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
BloodyWEST- Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that for sure. Most likely makes it safer doesn't it? I plan on designing a sleeping platform in the next few days and making one this weekend so I will go from there. Thanks!

D

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Do you by chance have a pic of how you connected the batt to the trailer wiring circuit?

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
i actually just used my trailer wiring connector.

I have the battery grounded to the truck by a battery cable that bolts to the bed.

Then i have a 7 pin trailer plug, with only the 1 hot wire(axillary) going up to the battery.

i simply plug it in on my way to a destination, and when i get there i unplug it and coil the wire up in the bed.

attachment.php

if your truck does not have the 7 pin connector, then this easy way may not work.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
i actually just used my trailer wiring connector.

I have the battery grounded to the truck by a battery cable that bolts to the bed.

Then i have a 7 pin trailer plug, with only the 1 hot wire(axillary) going up to the battery.

i simply plug it in on my way to a destination, and when i get there i unplug it and coil the wire up in the bed.

attachment.php

if your truck does not have the 7 pin connector, then this easy way may not work.

Thanks for the pic! It does have a 7 pin connector I'm pretty sure. What gauge wire do you use?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Few more pics of my truck
Offroading at Gopher Canyon in San Diego
image.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Camping somewhere in the middle of Flagstaff, AZ
image4.jpeg

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
Cool pictures, i love being the least modified rig on the trail, and good to see a full size out in the dirt.

i looked behind the bumper at the factory wiring and matched the wire size. It was surprisingly big, 10 or 12ga.

that circuit is fused at the factory fuse block, but (unfortunately) is always hot(on my dodge) even with the ignition off. I plan to pull the fuse someday and tie in there with a new fuse and a relay, actuated by the ignition, so i don't kill my engine battery charging my aux.

socalctcamper

Observer
I have the 4 pin connector. Is it hard to rewire it to a 7 pin? I had plan on running a solar panel but didn't want to leave it on the roof rack permanently. The idea of running a 7 pin to the 2 battery mounted in the bed is an awesome idea. Help help !?!? Thanks

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
that would be a question for some F150 specific forums. The wiring you need, may exist down on the frame rail, and a simple wiring harness may give you what you need. I just dont know what was available on f150s and what options were available.

SJEEPER

Observer
I mounted my Blue Sea fuse block under the hood and connected it to the battery with 8ga and a fuse. then I ran 12 or 14ga from the fuse block back to the bed of my truck. 3 runs, for aux LED lights and another for a 12v plug. Not sure if this is the best way but has worked so far for me. I ran a small fan plugged into the 12v outlet for a while to make sure the wires were not getting too hot. worked fine.

Also working on a bed/storage system, I can post some pics of it. I don't have a lot of time so it is more of a work in progress. I also have the short bed 5'5", here is the deal with that. I am only 5'6" oddly enough I can just squeeze in with the bed closed if I had to for stealth camping. my plan for the bed is to have an additional piece that folds up to extend the bed length when the tailgate is down. Right now I am estimating 14-16" addition when extended. what I plan on doing is getting a tent that can connect to the back of the truck or a truck tent, I have only found one that works for a full size...
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20745

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Interesting...Im still undecided on what I want to do as far as my fuse box. Might have one in front under the hood and one in a compartment in the back. This weekend Im building my bed storage. Stoked!

Thanks for the input on how you wired it. Ill look into that.

D

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
haha so I realized yesterday that I was not ever meant to be a carpenter.... Slereping platform will be done in a few hours. I'll post some pics when I am done.

Any advice on an indoor/outdoor carpet to wrap this all in?

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior