Song of the Road: Overlanding from Alaska to Patagonia

samc

Hello fellow Overlanders,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sam, and my wife's name is Erica. We have recently quit our jobs and are traveling the pan america highway from Alaska to Patagonia. We recently finished the first leg of our trip.

We started in Salt Lake City, Utah and then headed north into Wyoming. We went through the Tetons and Yellowstone, and then travelled up to Glacier in Montana. We then crossed the border over to Canada and spent time in Banff and Jasper before hitting the road again and heading up the Alcan Highway. We veered north and headed up to Dawson City and then took the Top of the World highway into Alaska. We traversed Alaska -- up to the Arctic Circle, then down to Denali, then time in Seward and Haines before hitting the inside passage. We wanted to ferry from Prince Rupert to Vancouver Island, but hte price was ridiculous, so instead we drove inland and headed south again (this drive was amazing) down to Vancouver. We spent a couple weeks on Vancouver Island, and then headed over to Washington. We blazed through Washington and Oregon (weather started to turn on us, and we really want to get to mexico by october). We're currently doing a few repairs and prepping to travel south of the border in the next couple of weeks.

We're doing the trip in a Dodge RAM 3500 with an XPCamper on the back.

We have a blog with lots of pictures, which you can find here:

http://songoftheroad.com

I look forward to sharing more stories (and reading about everyone else's stories) here on expedition portal.

AlaskaDenaliEricaXPCamperAmazingView.jpg

thanks,
sam

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
I started reading your blog. Well done, with very nice photographs. The plant you refer to as wildfire, growing all along the Alcan, is actually known as fireweed.

Guri

Explorer
Wow, I glad that you have the opportunity of do the "dream adventure".
Actually i'm living in LA but I'm from Argentina. At the moment to get close to Argentina, if you need, I can help you with suggestions or things to do there.
Really nice blog with so many pictures!
I hope the best in your journal and, please, keep posting so the people can "fly" with you in this trip.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
Looks like an amazing journey! I cant wait to read more of the blog.

Did yall get married at The Beach House? I recognize that amazing grass. I was there in June - Kauai is an amazing place.

tait

Sounds wonderful...beautiful blog.
With regards to the "Titans", were you referring to the "Tetons"?

Safe travels...

samc

Looks like an amazing journey! I cant wait to read more of the blog.

Did yall get married at The Beach House? I recognize that amazing grass. I was there in June - Kauai is an amazing place.

We did get married at The Beach House! It was a pretty spectacular venue. Small ceremony followed by a great dinner with an amazing sunset. This is located on the south side of Kuaii if I remember correctly.

sam

samc

Sounds wonderful...beautiful blog.
With regards to the "Titans", were you referring to the "Tetons"?

Safe travels...

Hehehe, definitely referring to the Tetons! Thank you for pointing that out.. now I'm going to go fix it :)

sam

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
You are correct. We stayed in Princeville on the north side but made the drive down because we heard the beach house was the best restaurant there... it was well worth the drive.

samc

still on the road...

I'm pretty bad at keeping this thread updated. Much better record of our adventures on our blog:

http://songoftheroad.com

However, we finally got to South America so I figured I had to post here. In addition, our blog runs just a bit behind our actual adventure, so we are just now publishing our posts from costa rica.

If you have a chance, overlanding in costa rica is a total blast!!! My favorite time was spent boon-docking on the Nicoya peninsula with some friends. We have a couple posts already here:

Part 1: http://songoftheroad.com/2014/07/costa-rica-nicoya-peninsula-part-1/

Part 2: http://songoftheroad.com/2014/07/costa-rica-epic-overlanding-nicoya-peninsula/

And we'll be updating our blog with "Part 3" in the coming days--just visit http://songoftheroad.com

In addition, we also had a great time on the Osa Peninsula (kind of like the Nicoya's little brother).

Here are some pictures from our time on the Nicoya Peninsula - I hope you enjoy:

Our first camping spot - not bad:
CostaRicaNicoyaPeninsulaXPCamperOnBeach-960x640.jpeg

Driving through the mud:
CostaRicaNicoyaPeninsulaAdventureDayXPDrivesThroughMud-960x720.jpg

Truck gets a swimming lesson:
CostaRicaNicoyaPeninsulaAdventureDayXPCamperRiverCrossing-960x640.jpeg

This is a road that runs right on the beach:
CostaRicaNicoyaPeninsulaAdventureDayXPCamperDrivingOnBeachCloseup-960x640.jpeg

thanks,
sam

Forum statistics

Threads