90DROPTOP

Observer
I have a dual oba setup, I have the belt driven York compressor
y6u7a8ez.jpg

And a viair380c
8anu3udy.jpg

I ensure I have the tanks
e3e5a8eq.jpg

topped off before I go on a trip and use the compressors on a pressure switch to turn them on and off the viair is my back up assuming I cannot get the engine running I pump up the air tanks with the viair
My tanks are two old CNG tanks 26 gallons of air storage
Granted this is not a daily driver and I do use the bed to sleep in but I can run air tools and inflate my 38s from 5psi to 40 in about 35minutes

cr500taco

Adventurer
I have a dual oba setup, I have the belt driven York compressor
y6u7a8ez.jpg

And a viair380c
8anu3udy.jpg

I ensure I have the tanks
e3e5a8eq.jpg

topped off before I go on a trip and use the compressors on a pressure switch to turn them on and off the viair is my back up assuming I cannot get the engine running I pump up the air tanks with the viair
My tanks are two old CNG tanks 26 gallons of air storage
Granted this is not a daily driver and I do use the bed to sleep in but I can run air tools and inflate my 38s from 5psi to 40 in about 35minutes

Nice, my other problem besides I need the A/C is that my truck is a DD and I also need the bed space for work and play. I have seen the tanks installed under the bed right in front of the spare tire. Seems like, that's the only location for the tank that will work for me.

Revco

Adventurer
Just to clarify, my little Smittybilt isn't really an "OBA" system, but a portable 12v compressor with battery terminal clamps. It was just the simpler, more compact alternative for my needs that doesn't take up valuable space in my reg cab Tacoma. Today, I deflated all four 265/75/16 BFG ATs down to 10psi and then aired them back up to 32psi with the little compressor. Each tire took a minute to inflate give or take. All in all it took about 10 mins to hook up the compressor, air the 4 tires up, and pack the compressor up and stow it behind the seat. Not bad for my needs.

Revco

Adventurer
Also, although I went with the more affordable option with the Smittybilt brand, I stand by Viair for quality. In the past I had airbagged hot rods and custom trucks with Viair compressors and never had a single issue. With air suspensions these compressors are put to work on a constant basis, and the Viairs have always been trouble free for me. I still have one and might put it on the Tacoma if its needed.

I've also ran nitrogen tanks and engine driven compressors for air ride suspensions and they work great as well. The only downsides to nitrogen/CO2 is they take up space and cost $ to refill. The engine driven compressors are fast, but you usually sacrifice AC to use them unless you have room on your engine for another belt-driven accessory.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Just to clarify, my little Smittybilt isn't really an "OBA" system, but a portable 12v compressor with battery terminal clamps. It was just the simpler, more compact alternative for my needs that doesn't take up valuable space in my reg cab Tacoma. Today, I deflated all four 265/75/16 BFG ATs down to 10psi and then aired them back up to 32psi with the little compressor. Each tire took a minute to inflate give or take. All in all it took about 10 mins to hook up the compressor, air the 4 tires up, and pack the compressor up and stow it behind the seat. Not bad for my needs.

I looked into the Smittybilt after your first post, and I might be getting one for the time being. A portable compressor will suffice for me for now, since it will only be for inflating tires.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
I have ARB's compressor unit on mine... It seems to work well enough (takes about 20 minutes to inflate all 4 of my 35x12.50R15s from 15 PSI up to 35 PSI).

ARB redesigned the compressor maybe 4 years or so ago, it's easily twice as fast as the original style one.

If you have this ARB comp, then beware and heed the duty cycle. I had mine installed for 18 months. Used it ~1-3x/month, very loose average. Only used for airing up my 315s on 17".

It still overloaded somehow. The inline fuse was/is still intact. ARB warrantied it. :)

IMG_20130813_175005_724_zpsfe8bdef9.jpg

IMG_20130813_175436_051_zpsc13b2ef6.jpg

IMG_20130813_173753_866_zps857c5dad.jpg

Mounted in on fender in engine bay. Clean.

Additionally, not saying everyone will experience this, but the Dual ARB comp is putting both of the above together. They will include their own thermal protection and is 100% DC. I have a coworker that has had to warranty his 2x in less than a year. One of the comps would fail, not unlike my single one.

The original one you are referring to is the Mini (I think) and was never intended for airing up tires. These "newer" ones are marketed as such to take on that duty.

Just putting this out there for awareness. I still like them and will continue using them. The new one from warranty will solely be used for the lockers now and back up air source. York Comp is 80% installed right now. So no pictures.....yet.

cr500taco

Adventurer
If you have this ARB comp, then beware and heed the duty cycle. I had mine installed for 18 months. Used it ~1-3x/month, very loose average. Only used for airing up my 315s on 17".

It still overloaded somehow. The inline fuse was/is still intact. ARB warrantied it. :)

IMG_20130813_175005_724_zpsfe8bdef9.jpg

IMG_20130813_175436_051_zpsc13b2ef6.jpg

IMG_20130813_173753_866_zps857c5dad.jpg

Additionally, not saying everyone will experience this, but the Dual ARB comp is putting both of the above together. They will include their own thermal protection and is 100% DC. I have a coworker that has had to warranty his 2x in less than a year. One of the comps would fail, not unlike my single one.

The original one you are referring to is the Mini (I think) and was never intended for airing up tires. These "newer" ones are marketed as such to take on that duty.

Just putting this out there for awareness. I still like them and will continue using them. The new one from warranty will solely be used for the lockers now and back up air source. York Comp is 80% installed right now. So no pictures.....yet.

Just curious, how long was the replacement process?

4x4junkie

Explorer

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/...rload/IMG_20130813_175005_724_zpsfe8bdef9.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/...rload/IMG_20130813_175436_051_zpsc13b2ef6.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/...rload/IMG_20130813_173753_866_zps857c5dad.jpg

Interesting...
Looks like two separate failures (defective (ungreased) bearing that overheated and electrical connection failure). I say 'separate' because had the bearing seized, it should've caused the fuse to blow, not the plug.

Duly noted though.
A buddy of mine actually had that exact same "T" type connector on his compressor burn up the same way on our last trip in the Sierras, no failure within the compressor itself (not an ARB, I forget the brand, sortof resembles the Viair units). Was running fine, and then like it just turned off. Maybe I'll swap my connector out for something more robust just to avoid a hassle in the future (I don't think the connector is rated more than 20 amps, yet these compressors all draw well in excess of 30 when under some load, so you can see the problem there).

As for the original compressor, it's pt# was RDCKA (replaced by CKMA12). ARB did claim the #RDCKA was suitable for inflating tires and such (and they sold a tire inflation hose kit specifically to use with it too).
You're thinking of the little one made for comp buggies (#CKSA12), which is the one not intended for tire inflation (which is still in production as well).

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
You have to keep in mind that some things that are easily accomplished in our modern world (compressed air, winches, ice cube makers, air conditioning) take relatively ENORMOUS amounts of energy! There is a reason the A/C in a vehicle is run off a belt on the engine. It's an easy way to get 100% duty cycle on a high energy machine for YEARS. In my humble opinion (and I know I'm going to get tons of dissenting opinions) if you are serious about OBA (big tires and/or air tools) you want an engine driven solution or at a minimum something like a Puma air compressor.

Some may say, "Your nuts! Why then do SO many guys go with ARB, ViAir, etc. then?" Because NOTHING is easier than running electrical cables to a convenient location and running an electric motor. A hydraulic, PTO driven winch is arguably vastly superior to an electric winch. But the reality of fitting one to a modern truck or SUV results in the fact that the vast majority of winches mounted are electric.

Sure... Lots of people get by with less. I'm still considering some of those "lesser" solutions myself. But I've pretty much convinced myself that if I go electric it'll be a Puma. Last weekend four of us did the Mojave Road. At the end of the trip there were three vehicles needing to air up. Bob91yj on here has an engine driven OBA and a quick connect front and back. He put his hose up front and I connected on the back. A 5 minutes later nine tires are filled (did one on vehicle 3 who was using his CO2) and we were off and running home. If money were no object I'd get a Kilby AirBoss system (http://www.onboardair.com/kits.htm) and be ready to go. But in the real world money IS a concern.

As they say... "Fast, Good, Cheap. Pick two."

Last edited:

cr500taco

Adventurer
Thanks for the info, guys. Before I posted the thread, I only new of Viair, York and the CO2 tanks. I knew there had to be more out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior