OBA

cr500taco

Adventurer
Wanting to get OBA for my truck. Just wondering what you guys have and what do you recommend?

I have 31"s currently and might go up to 33"s. Also, may get ARB lockers in the future.

Revco

Adventurer
I wasn't sure what direction to go either. I don't have air lockers, but will in due time. My truck is a reg cab 4x4 and space is very limited. I have a 5-gal air tank as well as a Viair 450C compressor and all the fittings, switches, gauges, air line, etc to have a full OBA system. I couldn't find a suitable place to permanently mount this setup without taking up valuable space in the bed since I'll be sleeping in there. There's not much room under the truck either. I sat on it for a while, then I decided to buy a compact portable air compressor. Mine is a cheap Smittybilt setup that I picked up at 4-Wheel Parts for $69.99+$7.99 for a 3 year warranty. This will air 35"+ tires and can do 150psi. It comes in a little bag, and has battery leads with clamps, coiled air hose, fittings, and a gauge. I can always add a small 2-3 gallon air tank for use with lockers, etc, although I've pretty much decided that I could get more use out of a nitrogen tank for that purpose. Anyway, that's what I ended up with, it's small and fits behind my seat even with the bench seat pushed all the way back. I've used the compressor a handful of times in the last month or so and it has been great.

cr500taco

Adventurer
thanks for the input. Viair has a portable compressor that I saw with the hose and chuck. its the 440p automatic, actually. I think I can get that for now, then if later down the road, I do decide to get arb lockers or if I find I need air tools, I can install the compressor and add a tank and the lines. I might be picking up a rear elocker axle for my Tacoma from a guy in a month or two and will see how that works. hopefully, won't need air lockers.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have owned 3 Extreme Outback setups and you will find no better company to work with.
George and Tamara over there will not only help you figure out the best system but if you ever need parts or have issues down the road they are quick to help.

I have used and abused their stuff and it just won't die. Matter of fact the only reason I buy it over and over is due to selling the rig it is attached to and the new owner wants it as part of the deal :)

Super heavy duty and built to last forever.

bluejeep

just a guy
I liked the low rpm that the 110V units turn at versus the higher rpms the 12 Volt units spin at.

Wound up fixing an inverter into the Jeep (handy for other things as well), and a Harbor Freight compressor by Central Pneumatics I believe the mfg was. This works well, I run 35" tires, and I used to have a trailer to tow the Jeep with that used airbags for suspension, and this compressor pushed the pressure to 110 psi in the bags w/o much effort. I hard mounted the unit under the hood of the Wrangler.

I have the same setup in my Dodge Dakota, but I did not hard mount it, it stows in the bed and I have an extension cord to run from the inverter to where ever I need the compressor.

Both have performed flawlessly (albiet under very intermittent use) for 10 years now (Jeep) and 5 years (Dodge)

cr500taco

Adventurer
I know there are other companies for OBA other than Viair, but just don't know of them. didn't know smittybilt made oba units until Revco mentioned he had one.

I'll look into extreme air. I emailed Viair over the weekend with a question and haven't gotten a respose back, yet.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I run C02.

Depends on how much you air down. If you are dropping from 30 to 20 psi (which I typically do with my 235/85/16 tires) then an air compressor is nice.

However when I run my 34x9.5 tires, going from 8 up to 30, that C02 tank brings all kinds of win. Those tires have killed two MV-50 air compressors. You sit there...and wait...and wait...and wait...Then you are done and realize you have three other tires to do. Oh and the thing is so hot you can't hold it. All of a sudden airing up is a 1 hour job. C02 drops it down to 10 minutes or less.

I've heard good things about Viair. Just FYI, they are usually in stock at 4 Wheel Parts America so you can go put hands on it.

I'd recommend trying to get the highest duty cycle you can afford.

So I'd say if you are going with a 33x12.50 and plan on varying your pressure by ~20 psi, then a C02 tank will be excellent to have. However if you have skinny 33s and you only drop your tire pressure by a wee bit, then yes, go with a nice air compressor.

JSyrja

I run a Viair 480C, part of their Ultra Duty OBA package. Both tank and compressor are mounted where the spare tire used to be. I run on 285/70/17 KM2s, so about the same tire size as you will be. Haven't had a problem with the unit yet, though it hasn't see extensive use. And in full disclosure, the compressor was just mounted under the box this last spring, previously it had been on the second battery tray. It's switched inside the cab, so I just turn it on 5-10 minutes before I get to the road. It'll fill the first tire pretty quick, the rest don't take that long, maybe 15 minutes to get all tires back up to 40 from 20psi.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I have ARB's compressor unit on mine... It seems to work well enough (takes about 20 minutes to inflate all 4 of my 35x12.50R15s from 15 PSI up to 35 PSI).

ARB redesigned the compressor maybe 4 years or so ago, it's easily twice as fast as the original style one.

86tuning

Adventurer
What engine is in your taco, and do you have air conditioning?

If you're serious, an engine driven compressor cannot be beat. On vehicles without ac you can bolt a compressor up to the stock mounting point and run the factory belt setup.

On vehicles with ac you have to build something to make it work.

My 22r pickup used a stock ac compressor and belt to make compressed air. Used a small 2gal tank to smooth out the surge and reduce cycling of the ac clutch.

My 80-series uses a small denso compressor mounted to the side of the head above the exhaust manifold to make air. Same 2-gal tank for the same reasons.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Thanks guys for the responses. The lowest I usually go is 15LBs on my 31x10.5 15"s, than I'll air back up to 30 - 40lbs depending on if I am hauling/towing or not.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I have ARB's compressor unit on mine... It seems to work well enough (takes about 20 minutes to inflate all 4 of my 35x12.50R15s from 15 PSI up to 35 PSI).

ARB redesigned the compressor maybe 4 years or so ago, it's easily twice as fast as the original style one.

I have read that ARBs stated times weren't up to par. But, maybe that was prior to them redesigning them.

cr500taco

Adventurer
What engine is in your taco, and do you have air conditioning?

If you're serious, an engine driven compressor cannot be beat. On vehicles without ac you can bolt a compressor up to the stock mounting point and run the factory belt setup.

On vehicles with ac you have to build something to make it work.

My 22r pickup used a stock ac compressor and belt to make compressed air. Used a small 2gal tank to smooth out the surge and reduce cycling of the ac clutch.

My 80-series uses a small denso compressor mounted to the side of the head above the exhaust manifold to make air. Same 2-gal tank for the same reasons.

It's 3.4L and I do have A/C. I live in Southern CA, so I need my A/C. I have seen the York, but decided against it because I thought it only replaced the A/C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online