OBA

cr500taco

Adventurer
i think the reason they say you cant is because of the duty cycle. can only run for 40mins before you have to shut it off and let it cool, when looking at compressors, look at 100% duty cycle, which can run for hours at a time.

You may be right. I emailed Viair about the possibility of installing their portable compressors and using a tank with them. They said that it cannot be done because the portables weren't designed for that. Come to think of it, their portables are not 100% duty cycle but their complete OBA kits with the tanks are.

cr500taco

Adventurer
oasis - king of 12v, but huge
extreme air magnum - great and a bit more manageable size
puma - best cost/performance value

viar and arb are overpriced for their performance

I am leaning on the Puma for the price as a starter unit. I don't know how much it will be used. I do like the fact that the ARBs are sealed and seems like they can be mounted underneath. I want to add a dual battery setup and the battery will utilize the only available location under the hood where the compressor will fit, so the only other place I can think of is underneath the truck.

BrianTN

Adventurer
What type of air hose and fittings are you guys running? Mostly for a quick disconnect to run air tools or air up tires. Does anyone happen to know what size hose the ARB air lockers come with? I recently bought a Puma and am planning on purchasing the fittings soon.

OSV

Adventurer
I paid $125 for a craigslist York oba setup, with a custom mounting bracket that had to be reinforced... used an air conditioning hose off of a junkyard Volvo, to handle the hot air coming out of the compressor... 1/2" hose to and from a tank in the back.

if you have big tires, i'd go with something similar, or a C02 tank, at the minimum.

verdesardog

Explorer
I don't care about brand names, I even remove logos when I can. I recently put a 200psi OBA on my truck. the compressor has a 100%duty cycle at some lower psi (don't remember exactly what it is, much higher than tire pressure though) When airing up tires the pressure will drop below the limit so it can run 100%. I have a 2.5 gal tank connected to a fitting in the bed of my truck and a regulator to lower the pressure for my exhaust brake and truck air horn. I works much better than the red portabe pump it replaces.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I don't care about brand names, I even remove logos when I can. I recently put a 200psi OBA on my truck. the compressor has a 100%duty cycle at some lower psi (don't remember exactly what it is, much higher than tire pressure though) When airing up tires the pressure will drop below the limit so it can run 100%. I have a 2 gal tank connected to a fitting in the bed of my truck and a regulator to lower the pressure for my exhaust brake and truck air horn. I works much better than the red portabe pump it replaces.

where can i get one of those 200 psi compressor?

verdesardog

Explorer
ok here is a link: VIAIR Corporation - Ultra Duty OBA Part No. 20001

hm link not working let me try agian....http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/20001.html

That should work.

This pic is showing the OBA system AND pac exhaust so there is more in the pic than whatyou will get with just the OBA:

DSC_3897.jpg

The gauge I got with the kit had a defective mount so I called them and they sent a nice black face replacement gauge no charge!

I really like the inflation gun for airing down my tires, it locks on the valve stem and without a hose connected airs down nice and controlled and fast...and airing up of course.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
I am leaning on the Puma for the price as a starter unit. I don't know how much it will be used. I do like the fact that the ARBs are sealed and seems like they can be mounted underneath. I want to add a dual battery setup and the battery will utilize the only available location under the hood where the compressor will fit, so the only other place I can think of is underneath the truck.

Since you are just starting out and unsure of usage frequency, I'd recommend a smaller portable like the MV-50 mentioned earlier in the thread. The Puma looks like a great setup along with the many positive feedback, yet it may be overkill for you at this juncture. I don't recall what vehicle you are in and what mods already established, but integrating an OBA system can sometimes leave a sour taste, especially if it's not meeting expectations. For example, a few fellow wheelers have been displeased with Viar units (don't recall the units) based on lower output/duty cycle but with higher price tag over similar units like the Smitty built. I've seen them side by side and the Smitty built mentioned earlier is seriously a badazz unit.

I've borrowed a friends MV-50 for filling my tires. It take roughly 20 minutes total to get all from 15-18 up to 35-38 psi. Airing up a time, imo, to ******** chat with those you just rode with. A great use of time in my view.

Just some thoughts for you to consider as this is one thing where there is room to adapt and not burn alot of coin.

I paid $125 for a craigslist York oba setup, with a custom mounting bracket that had to be reinforced... used an air conditioning hose off of a junkyard Volvo, to handle the hot air coming out of the compressor... 1/2" hose to and from a tank in the back.

if you have big tires, i'd go with something similar, or a C02 tank, at the minimum.

Hey fellow York-er! I just made my install 100% as of yesterday. Very happen with it!

IMG_20131025_162708_517_zps6b9eb94e.jpg

IMG_20131025_162721_582_zpsb1ca486c.jpg

IMG_20131025_162734_257_zpsdc9dd0e7.jpg

IMG_20131021_181927_295_zpsb59e2cf5.jpg

cdrewferd

Observer
Yes but that allows you to install it where ever and however you want....:)

Mine is installed under the cab on the frame rails up out of the way in otherwise unused space.

I see that you put a sort of box around your pump. Has that kept all the crap from the road off of it?

verdesardog

Explorer
I see that you put a sort of box around your pump. Has that kept all the crap from the road off of it?

Yes the box has done it's job perfectly, I have about a ton of dried mud under the truck right now but the compressor is clean and working fine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier