Rare Mercedes Diesel Westfalia James Cook Explorer Backcountry Camper

Mike Serpe

Observer
Super Nice Mercedes Westfalia James Cook Explorer Edition Camper Van

Low Miles (136,000)
Much Mechanical and Body/Interior Restoration

$22,000

Modular Bed for up in the Westy roof stores away in side bench, fits 2 adults.

One of 5 Westfalia Mercedes known in North America, only 3 are JCE edition.

The JCE edition is what later became the Airstream Westfalia based on the Sprinter in 2004.

California registered and used in a dry climate.

Commercial vehicle plates allow for parking in urban areas in loading zones.

Completely gutted interior 2011

All metals coated with marine paint

Recaro driver seat and stock forward folding (for entry to the rear) passenger seat, restored.

Original Westfalia Kitchen with Propane and Electric Fridge/Freezer, Propane Stove, and Sink

Original Westfalia hanging locker and closet cabinets.

Custom built lazarettes on each side add lots of storage.

Overhead bed comes apart in sections and stores in right side lazarette bench.

Overhead bed sections can be left partially in place for more storage, or removed for more headroom.

You can stand up in side every part of this camper

All Terrain Tires

Rear Step

4 Interior Hella Lights

Sound Pad Insulated Synth Maple Flooring 80%

Wool Low Pile Carpet in Front, just installed

Mechanically excellent, would drive anywhere tomorrow or serve as reliable, efficient daily driver.

Kitchen and locker/cabinet is easily removable if you want to convert back to more of a open hauling configuration.

Van has new marine stereo with NOAA weather band

4 Cylinder diesel mercedes engine with 4 speed W601/Gwagen manual transmission

Gets 26 mpg for us.

Can be modified for WVO and can run biodiesel if you change fuel lines to Viton.

Van has been driven successfully all the way to the south of Baja and back including many dirt roads and beaches.

Not much for corrosion underneath.

Much restoration since 2010:

Redone Front Passenger Seat
Recaro Driver seat and custom mounting bracket which allows instant removal of whole seat.
New 3 core radiator, motor always stays cool
New Starter
New Alternator
New Battery
New Ignition
New Fan blower
New Relays
New Washer pump
New Rear differential with 4.9: Ring and Pinion drive ratio for excellent off-road crawling
Rebuilt rear axle
Rebuilt Driveshafts and New Carrier bearing and housing.
New Brakes
New Injectors
New Stereo
Valves done 6500 miles ago
Redline Synthetic in the diff
Redline MT90 in the gearbox
Chevron Delo in the Engine

Interior is insulated with 2" thick foam sheet behind the panel walls and ceiling. This includes also the rear doors.

Windows pop out and up and are very rare Westfalia moulded double pane windows and frames.
They lock into several different positions. You can add screens no problem.

Rear door window is a single pane Westfalia fixed panel, solid panel on the other.

There is also a skylight over the rear corner inside which is fixed, and a skylight in the center of the roof that opens and is brand new.

The entire roof was reglazed and glassed in 2012 and is 100% leak free.

The entire van was gutted and any moisture or mildew or dirt or dust removed, and repainted with Petit ensapsulating paint, POR-15, and then areas that are white touched up here and there with Yacht gloss enamel.

Other than touch ups, the vans exterior paint is largely original.

The shower can be used either as a hand held or attach to top of the rear door when swung outward, so you drain to the ground.

Propane tank and 12V water pump for sink and shower are included and located in the kitchenette.

There is a exhaust vent for the propane out the side.

I have not used the propane fridge or shower in some time, so both should be gone over before next use.

It has a 110V plug under the driver door to plug into household current, and a wired junction box behind the driver seat.

Commercial plates allow you to park in loading zones if you opt to keep them and live in CA.

I did not put the Jack Cook Explorer Emblems back on this van, but I do have the computer design files for them, so I can give them to the buyer should you want to get something printed or painted to bring to full original.

This is an excellent rare van of which perhaps 5 exist in North America. Parts are not a problem to obtain.
The vehicle goes anywhere and is built from commercial grade Mercedes truck parts.
They are known in the 3rd world as the life link to many villages and tribes and without the W601 much of North and West Africa would suffer. This is a vehicle that can take someone to Peru and back and be fixed with basic tools should something go wrong.

Send in your offers with confidence.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-Other-Camper-Mercedes-Benz-Westfalia-W601-Diesel-Backcountry-Camper-Van-Jack-Cook-/281179376176

Mike Serpe
Overland Journal published contributor
mserpe@yahoo.com

DSC05107.jpgDSC05140.jpgDSC05095.jpgDSC05139.jpgDSC05130.jpgDSC05121.jpgDSC05105.jpgDSC05120.jpgDSC05101.jpgDSC05150.jpg

Last edited:

PorcupineRim

Is Jack a brother of James Cook

Mercedes do make good vans and the first Mercedes "James Cook" was released in 1976. What year is yours? Good luck with the sale but might be tough.
I did own a 2004 James Cook...........great van

Mike Serpe

Observer
This James Cook is a 1980.
My wife and I had always seen them around her place in Greece.... so several years ago we acquired two.
One was stolen and never been recovered.....its probably running around Central America somewhere.
We've restored and driven this one for a while and sometimes we have used it daily. It has always been reliable and simple to work on.

Last edited:

Mike Serpe

Observer
price lowered

Need to sell for doctor bills...busted back.... have had a lot of interest but no deal yet... price lowered!

come see it
drive it

don't be bashful... send offers !
trades + cash considered depending on value

email me

mserpe@yahoo.com

Fish78

Observer
Sorry to hear about your back Mike.

I got my hands on an '86 mercedes westfalia Marco Polo 2 months ago. SO much fun to drive, awesome rig. Hopefully someone comes out and sees yours in person to appreciate what you've got.

El Solis

Adventurer
double on the is it 4x4? I have a very interested family member who I believed has tried to contact you. Thanks!
Chris

Racingdad

Adventurer
What ever happened with this nice rig? I had tried to contact the seller when I was last down at Sears Point but unfortunately we were not able to contact each other in time.

kmandu

Still available?

wondering if you're still trying to sell. Please email me at alchemy at me dot com

thanks!

Racingdad

Adventurer
Not sure what happened to Mike. He had some health problems as he stated in his post. He has not responded to emails or private messages. I hope all is well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier