Utensil set/roll?

trailscape

Explorer
I was eyeballing a utensil set today and then spotted a very similar one on Amazon. Can anyone tell me if the cheaper is just a bad copy or if it's the same version? It's hard to see much of a difference. Anyone have experience with either of these? Hoping there's a durable storage bag in there somewhere.

Greensport: Sold by Sierra Expeditionsand Front Runner. About $60.
large_13406_4489.jpg

Chef's Planet: About $30.
915KnEmbWaL._SL1500_.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Well I think I will have to order the Amazon one and check it out at that price.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
FWIW, I think most of us have better utensils already (or aspire to) and just want a way to hang them handily by our kitchens.
I have one of these from Boundary Waters

1367-DEFAULT-m.jpg

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Mesh Utensil Roll

Very nice. I've looked at the others above found via Google searches too, but your link to Cooke shows a rather nice and well priced setup.

Something similar, from a great company, that is made of a strong mesh fabric and allows for quick drying of washed utensils too.
2231.jpg
http://www.solgear.com/kitchen/utensil_roll_small/

I've got their small dishnet which attaches to my kitchen table for drying the dishes. It rocks!

2210.jpg
http://www.solgear.com/kitchen/dish_net_small/

Honu

lost on the mainland
wanted one of those wash/dry sacks for a while the other ones I have seen were way to much money :) this one looks like a good buy :) thanks sssstfire ? OK how come all the SSSS :) hahahaha

shogun

Adventurer
I a little confused. Why is this the best way to carry oddly shaped items that you dont want exposed to weather or dropped on the ground?

It seems to me that rolling them up in a cloth produces a lumpy, oddly shaped item that packs poorly. The silly pockets they slide into wont prevent them from dropping out when handling. If left outside on a picnic table in a rain they all get wet. I've used tool rolls and, while they work, you always have to use care taking things out and putting them back, adjusting all the others that half slid out during handling, and be careful when rolling it up that things dont fall out the ends.

Why would a plastic, tupperware-style, box not be better? (except that you cant find one the right size/shape)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Tupperware would work fine for some people, for sure. Not me though; I unroll mine and hang it from my stove. My utensils are an easy grab away while I cook.
A Tupperware container would need a flat surface to sit on.

As for storage, I roll it up and toss it between two ammo cans under the stove ---- canned food and granola bars live in the ammo boxes.

The tool roll is simple and effective. But it's not the best idea for everybody...

brushogger

Explorer
The Tupperware works, but kitchen knives bouncing around in bulk with the other utensils get dull quickly. The roll separates them and they stay sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles