Question on drawer slides

I'm looking for some heavy duty drawer slides that might be able to withstand being out in the elements. Specifically they would be mounted underneath a storage box on the rear of my camper so grits and grime would be abundant. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I use accuride locking slides 40" long.
They have been great in the past year but all they seen is a bit of dust and sand without any issues....
Your best bet is to go with ball bearings (skateboard bearings).
These would do the job and last a heck of alot longer than any slides.....

Or try to get your hands on these, but I have not found any retailers here in the USA.

493489124_o.jpg

60365582_o.jpg

Last edited:

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I too use accuride locking slides. Theyre pretty much the benchmark for heavy duty slides. A lesser known locking slide made by KV (Knape Vogt) is super cool. I have these as well. Work spectacularly! ! Has a push-pull locking mechanism. Genius

perkj

Explorer
I too use accuride locking slides. Theyre pretty much the benchmark for heavy duty slides. A lesser known locking slide made by KV (Knape Vogt) is super cool. I have these as well. Work spectacularly! ! Has a push-pull locking mechanism. Genius

What model KV did you use? there seems to be a number of models they offer, all at different price points.

ab1985

Explorer
Question - is the extra cost on the lock in/out slides really worth it vs. just adding your own mechanism? If it's just an added detent, will that really be enough to keep a heavy load shift from moving the slides?

Thanks!

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I dont know if the extra cost is worth as I dont know what the cost difference is between locking and non-locking.
But I love my locking slides once the are closed or fully open they lock and I dont worry about them.
Great little feature..
I guess if you have the inclination to come up with your own locking device (wouldnt take much) that would give you a sense of uniqueness .....
All good in my books....

java

Expedition Leader
Question - is the extra cost on the lock in/out slides really worth it vs. just adding your own mechanism? If it's just an added detent, will that really be enough to keep a heavy load shift from moving the slides?

Thanks!

I only have experience with the accuride ones. They are not just a detent and will hold. If i were doing my drawers again Id use them.

ab1985

Explorer
Wow, good find. I may see if I can cancel my K&V order and check those out. Thanks for posting.

ab1985

Explorer
Hey Dennx, do you have these slides? If so, what do they mean by "add 1 1/2 inches" for the lock out version? I already have a cabinet 48" in length. Trying to figure out if these will work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles