Snow Peak Double BBQ Charcoal to Infrared Propane Conversion

soul

Observer
Finally managed to come up with a drop-in dual infrared burner replacement for the amazing Snow Peak Double BBQ Grill. This was quite a learning experience, which am happy to share with you all.

So first question, why do it?

I was looking for a portable and compact grill that can be used for camping trips, but also in my small patio. The Snowpeak double bbq fits perfect for both situations, combined with the Snowpeak torch it has performed beyond my expectations for its size. It can feed dozens with just few amount of charcoal, very impressive.

Basically charcoal is great for grill, but setup time, temperature adjustment and cleanup is always an issue. Although Snowpeak makes it easy on all fronts. The other big factor is the no fire warnings in California, so may not be able to use in all camping situations. Hence the propane entry!

Easy choice was to buy another propane grill that will fit inside the Snowpeak IGT frame, but my SUV is already getting packed to its extents so space issue was a big one. Snowpeak also is not into Propane grill yet (hoping !) I also realized that the use is going to be either charcoal or propane, not both in most of the situations.

So first option was to add a burner tube or two into the box, and make it detachable. Adding the tube would have been straightforward, but then need the heat shield as well as tray to go along. The SP double bbq is barely 4.5 inches in height, the internal space is approximately 17 x 13 x 3.5 inch so not much to play around. In my search came across Infrared burners, and their advantages. Originally developed by TEC, but now available through multiple vendors both in Ceramic and Steel.

The key advantages I could see, is the temperature range is like 900 to 1000 deg unlike any propane tube burners which peak at 450 to 550. The burners are self cleaning, and the form seemed suitable for the Snowpeak bbq height. I checked availability, price and size of different infrared burners but most were over 5 inches in height (Used Bing Image Search feature). The burners range from $18 to over $180, depending on the source, material and brand. The burner most suitable was from VAPA burners, the ceramic one is around $45 while stainless steel is around $90 for small quantities.

The fitment turned out to be simple, a 2 x 2 aluminum sheet from Amazon (2.3 mm thick), which I cut to size (Approx. 17 x 13) and had two cut-outs for the burners. Initial thought was to have 3 holes made for the tubing, two for valve heads and 1 for inlet. So just slide the tray in, connect the side line to propane and you are in business. Unfortunately it did not turn out that easy, the burners come with inlet that is 90 deg to the orifice and making that turn inside the bbq was not possible in the space available. So had to figure other option, which I will describe shortly. So here are the pictures, the original charcoal grill and the drop-in propane replacement.

WP_20130921_19_28_14_Pro.jpg
WP_20131002_18_04_02_Pro.jpg

Let me know your thoughts and feedback. I will be testing this setup over the weekend, will have to do some trials to get feel of the temperature.
Do PM me for anything specific

Honu

lost on the mainland
looking froward to more :) especially the valves and connection setup :)
also some links to the burners would be great :)

wonder how you could get a valve to maybe drop 90 down straight so it would not stick out ? :) hmmm

great job look forward to more from a fellow SP tweaker :) haahahah

that corn on the top looks good learned when I lived in Central America to rub my grilled corn on the cob with lime wedges and then sprinkle chili powder on them :) no butter no garlic just lime and chili powder :) give it a try truly light and refreshing way to have it and no greasy fingers :)
cant wait for some food feedback how it does for ya :)

soul

Observer
Thanks Honu, will get some pictures taken of the original fitting that came up with the burners and the modified one plus all the links in my next update.
It all started with your fantastic setup and pictures.

The burners are from VAPA burners, http://www.vapaburners.com/html/vm-1_burner.html (I went for steel over ceramic)

vm1_d.jpg

As you can see, the orifice is fitted with a brass T which is 90 deg to 1/4 inch MPT pipe inlet. There is no fitting on the other side of the T.

The grill performed the simmer test flawless, I was bit worried that it will be difficult to reduce the temperature beyond certain point. It took around 18 minutes to broil a potato without burning the skin on the lowest setting. I am getting a 1000 deg thermometer to test the full range next week. But so far so good.

soul

Observer
I think 90 deg drop for the valves is possible, will need to replace the 1/4 nip connected to the orifice with an elbow. But better option which I could not do, is use angle valves. These valves have the control knob inline to the orifice and inlet at 90 deg. So just the knobs will project out in the front of the grill, and the inlet from one of the sides. So a very clean look, no pipes visible.

The burners are rated 15 psi max, and have #72 orifice (around 0.65mm diameter hole). So low pressure angle valves available in normal gas ranges may not work (which are rated 1/2 to 2 psi). I kind of over engineered, and have used high pressure brass needle valves and quick connectors but it looks like some angle valves may work as well.

I know some pictures and schematics are required to explain this, will do this weekend. Thanks for following this thread, and providing ideas :)

soul

Observer
Orifice size, PSI to BTU chart

This is a reference chart, useful to figure out orifice-psi to BTU output for propane.

OrificeChart.jpg

So with #72 orifice, with pressure range of 2psi to 15 psi we should expect BTU of around 12,000 to 27,000. Which is pretty awesome !

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The biggest issue I had with my former Solaire infrared grill: Getting it lit in mildly breezy+ conditions was tough #1 and usually time consuming #2. Can you comment how the VAPA burner is to get lit in anything but calm wind conditions?

soul

Observer
Actually the burner does not generate much back pressure, at least the steel one. It may be so for ceramic. Lighting is actually easier than normal gas burner, It is difficult to blow out the burner when lit, but will test the scenario again

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

soul

Observer
Snow Peak Double BBQ Charcoal to Infrared Propane Conversion Details

The original Snow Peak Double BBQ, in a IGT2 setup. Notice the two holes made on the front face of the grill using a step drill. The idea is to just replace the charcoal tray with the infrared burner tray, and connect the propane.

The two holes are the only changes required on the Snow Peak BBQ box to connect the burners.

WP_20131012_10_59_58_Pro.jpgWP_20131012_11_00_24_Pro.jpgWP_20131012_11_01_05_Pro.jpg

This is how the burner looks, along with the orifice fitting. Original fitting is a two sided brass T, with 1/4 inch male pipe thread (MPT) on one side and orifice at 90 deg.
The 90 deg makes it difficult to route the piping, so I decided to use 1/8 inch pipe fitting with an brass end cap. I drilled #72 hole to use the cap as orifice and re-used the iron ring to help me center the orifice in the blow tube. Other end of the orifice is male quick connect adapter, which goes out from the two holes made

The orifice fits perfectly in the blow tube, and the #6-32 screws hold on to the 1/8 inch pipe and the blow tube together.

Burners are fitted on aluminum sheet, with two cutouts sized for the burner.

WP_20131012_11_09_21_Pro.jpgWP_20131012_11_09_00_Pro.jpgWP_20131005_09_58_39_Pro.jpgWP_20131012_11_02_02_Pro.jpgWP_20131012_11_02_25_Pro.jpg

This assembly is now a drop-in replacement for the charcoal tray that came with the BBQ.

WP_20131012_11_02_42_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20131012_11_05_28_Pro.jpg
    WP_20131012_11_05_28_Pro.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 54

soul

Observer
Once the burner tray slides in, with the quick connector through the holes then all it needs is snap-in the propane connection. Here is the picture -

WP_20131012_11_03_20_Pro.jpgWP_20131012_11_03_06_Pro.jpgWP_20131012_11_05_28_Pro.jpg

I can use both the Coleman disposable cylinder or refillable, all using quick connectors. A bigger cylinder is preferred, to minimize frosting issues at higher rates.

Here are some useful links -
1) VAPA Burners - http://www.vapaburners.com/html/vm-1_burner.html
2) Brass Needle valves - http://www.protanksupply.com/brass-propane-fittings_detail.asp?ID=3040
3) Brass quick connect 5LP 1/4 inch - http://www.tejassmokers.com/quickconnecthoses.htm
4) 0-30 psi Regulator - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXEW4G/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5) Refillable Aluminum Cylinder - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FPZABU/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
6) Titanium step drill, makes it super easy to drill holes in steel - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FZ2UOY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
7) Aluminum sheet - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JKJBWG/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know if further questions, will be glad to help.

Last edited:

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
Just a minor point -- you should know that the white teflon tape is not rated for lpg -- you should be using the yellow stuff and/or a pipe dope rated for gas.

Other than that, it looks gorgeous!

soul

Observer
Thanks for pointing, somehow it was not very clear from the stuff I read. I will get that changed

soul

Observer
Some Greek kabobs, first trial on the grill. They turned out good, timing is critical as the cooking seems to be faster.
The heat is just perfect, so the technique needs focus

WP_20131020_19_58_37_Pro.jpg

Started with 1# disposable cylinder, but with 2 burners faced frosting issue and reduced flow. It can run 1 burner at low heat but anything more the frosting kicks in.
But it works fine on a 10# cylinder, at full blast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior