Most popular CB trail channel

NikonRon

Adventurer
Like the title says, what are most of you using on the trail. I travel solo but do have a radio and if needed what channel is most desired and used. Thanks, Ron

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Channel 19 in general. Some areas have local favorites, but 19 is what most folks will monitor / sit on unless they move to another channel for a longer conversation or group chat.

19 is in the middle of the band, so your antenna is most likely tuned to be pretty effective there.

Now that FRS is on the scene, fewer people (other than truckers) are on CB, I find.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Good luck. You'll probably find the CB to be more useful on the highway - leave it on 19 to get alerts about police, road construction, accidents, etc.

NikonRon

Adventurer
Like you said the truckers really don't use CB's like they did back in the 70's. I was just curious about trail use in case I was going to try and contact someone or just listen to trail chatter. Thanks, Ron

4x4junkie

Explorer
Out here channel 4 seems to get used the most, though anyone can be on pretty much any channel. If you have a radio with the ability to scan the channels, that could help you find more people (same goes for scanning FRS channels).

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Channel 4 is the most common choice for trail chatter. It can be very handy even if traveling alone to know who is around you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Lynn

Expedition Leader
So the requirement for a permanent antenna prevents a (dedicated) vehicular mounted FRS radio?

Wonder what drove the feds to make that rule......

Jim

Ancillary note: Radio shack made a unit with the transmitter built into the mag antenna base, and all controls on the mic. Model 21-1850. Rumor has it they discontinued manufacture after the FCC accused them of violating the intent of the law.

Here's a thread if you would like to read more.

However, the Midland 75-510XLM has a removable ducky and comes with a separate mag-mount antenna, and is still available via Amazon. Not sure what the story is here. I have used a set, and (as you would expect) they work much better with the antenna outside the vehicle...

Last edited:

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
=>Topic whiplash warning<=

By regulation are FRS radios hand held only?

Jim

Non removable antenna though there are ways around that.

So the requirement for a permanent antenna prevents a (dedicated) vehicular mounted FRS radio?

Wonder what drove the feds to make that rule......

Jim

Very off topic in this thread. FRS is the Family Radio Service and it was designed to be a 1/2 watt short range radio service for familes. Don't mess with it. Just go busy some 5-Watt GMRS radios and use those--they have detachable antennas. Or better yet study, spend $5 and get your ham license.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles