ARB fridge power question

RACKMAN

Observer
Okay, wiring is not my strong point so I have a question...I'm going to run a direct power feed from my battery to the rear of my jeep using 10 guage wire and Anderson plugs...cutting off the cig plug of the fridge. The ARB cig plug has an 8amp fuse in it, but in the ARB fridge manual it states that any direct wiring to the battery should have an inline 15amp fuse...so why does the ARB cig plug have an 8amp fuse???

86tuning

Adventurer
For a longer run of wire, the larger fuse will have less voltage drop and still protect in case of short circuit.

I'm running my power wire with no fuse but instead a piece of fusible link wire directly at the battery terminal. I'm using 8ga wiring.

I also cut my power cord and installed a pair of connectors so I can put it back together in case I need to move it, put it in my wife's car, etc.

That requires three connectors, one for the car power wire and two for the fridge wire.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380853064.113596.jpg

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
The 8A fuse is the correct fuse as the fridge only consumes 2 to 5 amps. 10 ga wire is plenty for it too, as I figure the length would not be in excess of 20 ft.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I'd stick a 10A fuse up at the battery if nothing else besides the fridge is powered from the circuit (might even be able to use a 7.5A too). This should offer a slight bit more protection to the fridge should something ever go wrong with it internally (less potential for collateral damage, possibly making for a less costly repair).

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
ARBs are wonderful fridges that are real finicky about their power, err on the side of larger cables.

Oh, another thing - you shouldn't have to cut the wire off the back of the plug. If I remember correctly it is actually screwed on.

Judy999

ARB 50 Quart Fridge Spare Fuse question

I am buying a new ARB 50 Quart Fridge. Have heard that need to buy extra fuses for the 12 V and the 110 V cords ....as spares as fridge seems to blow fuse occasionally. Have no idea what type of fuse I need. Would appreciate if someone could give me two links for the two types of spares that I need so I can buy them at the same time.....would hate to have to search for fuses later.:)

ADVrider76

I am buying a new ARB 50 Quart Fridge. Have heard that need to buy extra fuses for the 12 V and the 110 V cords ....as spares as fridge seems to blow fuse occasionally. Have no idea what type of fuse I need. Would appreciate if someone could give me two links for the two types of spares that I need so I can buy them at the same time.....would hate to have to search for fuses later.:)

I have the same fridge and never blown a fuse. I use it in the truck and cargo camp trailer. The trailer has a 10ga wire about 15' long with a 10a fuse in the block using a merit plug. Trailer is charged by solar. Never had a problem. Not sure on type right now as I am out of town. Will look them up and post back.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters

I'd recommend you grab them from whomever you are buying the new fridge from, they can be found but are not your standard auto fuses. Any vested ARB dealer should stock the spares along with the fridge. While it is uncommon to need them as ADVrider76 pointed out, thing can go wrong and for the minimal cost I think it is worth it. We send spares with all of our rental fridges and they have saved the day a time or two, in one case the cord was pinched in a door hinge but easily repaired, the fuse not so easily repaired.

spikemd

Explorer
I ran 10g wire to a BlueSea fusebox in the rear. Then modified the ARB 12v wire to Anderson plugs to the fusebox. The 12v cigarette plug and even the Hella plugs simply don't work when crossing miles of washboards. They wiggle loose and you always have to keep checking the connection. Anderson plugs are the way to go and make a positive connection. I need to modify my ARB connector to include another in-line fuse for safety.

The modified connectors also work great plugged directly into my GoalZero Extreme350 to run the fridge. With my solar panels (30w + 27w + 13.5w) , I can run the fridge off the GZ and charge the Extreme350 battery so that overnight there is plently of juice to continue to run the fridge. It worked great in Baja last week and I can now bascamp indefinitely and never run down my main marine battery.

rr_12v_anderson_wires.jpgrr_12v_anderson_finish.jpgrr_12v_anderson_cigplug.jpgrr_12v_anderson_gz.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior