goofiefoot's 2009 JKUR

Mowgli

Supporting Sponsor
Just wondering why did you go to Florida to buy this? There are tons of 3.8 jku around here and most of the stuff you said sold you on it is already coming off?

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
My best advice is to keep it simple, your Rubi is so capable to start with that you really don't need to do much. Good tires and a small lift will get you far without sacrificing fuel economy. I put a windshield lightbar on my JK when I first got her but quickly discovered that (a) I never used the lights & (b) the wind noise and loss of mpg was horrible, I often run into folks who have spend thousands on their rigs but haven't wheeled them anywhere.

Enjoy your great Jeep.

Nice Jeep and nice purchase story. I have bought 2 vehicle like this. Fly and meet owner, accept to purchase, drive to the bank to complete transaction. Fill up for my 12 hour drive back home and head home to Texas.

goofiefoot

Adventurer
Just wondering why did you go to Florida to buy this? There are tons of 3.8 jku around here and most of the stuff you said sold you on it is already coming off?

I scoured the net trying to find a JKUR that fell within my price range (low $20k's) with my list of options. I only wanted a 6-speed, preferred a hardtop, didn't want too many miles, wanted a one-owner vehicle with records, and did not want it in black or red. The fact that mine came with extras was awesome, and the fact it was a 2009 was even better (most of the others I found were 2007 for the same price). I have removed the rack, but intend to use it on long trips. I have decided to keep the trunk (see post #14), and my wife has been driving the Jeep with the WARN sliders and has not yet complained about being able to get into it. I'm pleased with my purchase, and the trip was a great experience. This was the second time I traveled out of state to buy a car, and it has been worth my while both time.

goofiefoot

Adventurer
My best advice is to keep it simple, your Rubi is so capable to start with that you really don't need to do much. Good tires and a small lift will get you far without sacrificing fuel economy. I put a windshield lightbar on my JK when I first got her but quickly discovered that (a) I never used the lights & (b) the wind noise and loss of mpg was horrible, I often run into folks who have spend thousands on their rigs but haven't wheeled them anywhere.

Enjoy your great Jeep.

Thanks! My plan is to add things as I see the need for them.

goofiefoot

Adventurer
You know it's gonna be a sloooooooow build when the only after-Christmas add-on is a flashlight. :D :D :D

2013-12-26162729.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
You know it's gonna be a sloooooooow build when the only after-Christmas add-on is a flashlight. :D :D :D

2013-12-26162729.jpg

This gave both me and my wife a chuckle... with one kiddo just graduated with college, one still in and a four year old to boot... our build is moving slowly also :) Keep at it... slow and steady wins the day... and NICE FLASHLIGHT!!!!!

goofiefoot

Adventurer
This gave both me and my wife a chuckle... with one kiddo just graduated with college, one still in and a four year old to boot... our build is moving slowly also :) Keep at it... slow and steady wins the day... and NICE FLASHLIGHT!!!!!

Thanks! We're just starting out - our daughter is 20 months, and I've found very little time to keep up with all my hobbies. Of course, spending time with my little girl is first priority. Since it puts food on the table, hunting and fishing usually wins out over beer brewing or building the Jeep. Slow and steady will just have to be my mantra.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Have you replaced the air raid air intake yet? These are fine for street cars, but being that they are designed to be less restrictive, they let a lot of dust and dirt in too. Not appropriate for an off road vehicle in my opinion. I've seen people with serious engine issues which were attributed to this. Just my two cents for what it's worth. Nice Jeep, I hope you and the family enjoy it.

goofiefoot

Adventurer
Have you replaced the air raid air intake yet? These are fine for street cars, but being that they are designed to be less restrictive, they let a lot of dust and dirt in too. Not appropriate for an off road vehicle in my opinion. I've seen people with serious engine issues which were attributed to this. Just my two cents for what it's worth. Nice Jeep, I hope you and the family enjoy it.

I hadn't heard this. I've used K&N oiled filters in all my vehicles, and while this is my first aftermarket replacement intake, the filter seems to have the same general construction as the K&N. I'd be curious to know how they differ and what suggestions y'all might have for replacement.

goofiefoot

Adventurer
I've been obsessing about a stubby bumper, and eventually a new winch. Our current finances have caused some delay in this venture, but it was still nagging me. So, yesterday, I got home a little early and did a little cosmetic work.

2014-01-31164329.jpg

This morning, after paint was dry, I put everything back together.

2014-02-01094140.jpg

2014-02-01094149.jpg

I've seen other folks glue or rivet some sort of end cap on each side, but I kinda like the way this looks. The edges are ground smooth, so no worries of injury. From the beginning, I planned to use the blue as an accent color. I plan to find blue lug nuts, and update bits and pieces to blue as I build the Jeep. This afternoon, I plan to use Plasti-Dip to turn the grill and wheels black. I'll post the results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles