goofiefoot's 2009 JKUR

goofiefoot

Adventurer
I've had a Warn M8000 winch a buddy of mine gave me over 10 years ago. I did some clean-up right after I got it, replaced gaskets and re-greased the gears, but was never able to get it working, so I kinda forgot about it. Since I got the Jeep, I dug it out of the storage building and have since been resuming the build. I almost gave up and bought something new, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Turned out the motor was bad, so I replaced it. Everything else fell into place with it, and as of last night, it's mounted! I had to fab a mount for the control box which I'm not super keen on, and I will be replacing some of the hardware with more appropriate sizing, but after a decade, I have a working winch.

2014-08-26231242.jpg

2014-08-26231250.jpg

Now I definitely need to start saving for my lift. My birthday's this week, so I hopefully have some play money coming my way. I'm looking at the Rock Krawler 1.5" springs with Bilstein 5100s to get me up a little higher, level me out, and fit larger tires (I'm thinking 285/75/17) when the time comes.

heehawhardy

Adventurering
1.5"-2" will be perfect! Look forward to see which route you go. I went with Evo Manufacturings HD level kit and 5100's LOVE IT

goofiefoot

Adventurer
...and here she is.

jeep-before-after-angle.jpg

jeep-before-after-side.jpg

I ended up installing the Rock Krawler 1.5" springs, and took advantage of the Rancho sale, which scored me a great deal on RS9000XL adjustable shocks. The install went fairly well, and the ride is such a vast improvement! I'll stick with my stock 32s until they wear out, or I find a deal I can't pass up locally. Ideally, I'll get a set of 285/75/17 tires when the time comes.

I'm soooo glad to get rid of the rake!

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
...and here she is.

jeep-before-after-angle.jpg

jeep-before-after-side.jpg

I ended up installing the Rock Krawler 1.5" springs, and took advantage of the Rancho sale, which scored me a great deal on RS9000XL adjustable shocks. The install went fairly well, and the ride is such a vast improvement! I'll stick with my stock 32s until they wear out, or I find a deal I can't pass up locally. Ideally, I'll get a set of 285/75/17 tires when the time comes.

I'm soooo glad to get rid of the rake!

I keep thinking about going with RK. How much lift did you actually get? How much does your winch and bumper weigh?

goofiefoot

Adventurer
I'm kicking myself because i didn't measure my height before my install. The Jeep was certainly sagging in the front when I installed the winch and bumper, the shocks were basically worthless, and the factory springs had almost 90k miles. Just by comparison in the photos I'd venture to guess I got at least 1.5" over a typical stock Jeep, and probably 3-4" in the front and 2" in the rear over my worn-out set up.

goofiefoot

Adventurer
My bumper is over 90lbs and the winch is probably around 75lbs. Take away the stock front bumper weight and I probably added 120lbs to the front.

goofiefoot

Adventurer
Nothing glamorous, but I did some maintenance over the weekend. I tried running some Sea Foam through the brake booster to clean the upper end. Who knows how much it really does, but it did give quite the plume of white smoke. I also ran some through the crank case and drove around before I changed the oil and filter. The throttle body was overdue for a cleaning, so now it's good and shiny again. I have a set of spark plugs to install, but I didn't get around to installing them. I don't expect much, but I'd love to get a little increase in power and mileage once it's all said and done. :)

goofiefoot

Adventurer
Quick safety mod:

2015-02-01%2010.06.26.jpg

I was embarrassed to ever use my horn. The stock unit was worthless, so I have upgraded to a dual system. 500/400 Hella system makes a huge difference!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles