goofiefoot's 2009 JKUR

goofiefoot

Adventurer
I ran into an unexpected modification this evening - literally. Not thrilled, but both the other driver and I were ok, so that's something. Basically, she pulled out of a parking lot and moved over a couple of lanes, right into me. I hit the brakes, and almost missed her, but not quite. She admitted fault, I have her insurance, and hopefully nothing is too badly damaged on my end. The fender and tire took the hit. The fender surprised me how well it held up. My concern is the wheel/axle assembly, but I'll get it checked out.

Honda CRV:

D5E98F01-51D6-4088-9A3E-0E71E388DA66.jpg

My fender:

7E30A675-6575-4BAF-8F82-C223C16AE2F0.jpg

goofiefoot

Adventurer
Nothing new to report. We're planning our first long trip in June/July, so I've been plotting and planning the best storage options, but I haven't added anything to the Jeep except miles.

One thing I've been contemplating, and I'd love some feedback, is my best options for clearance. I've been reading up on lifts and tire size, and like the idea of a low center of gravity build with larger tires. The JK looks really nice with 35s, and with my 6spd/4.10 combo, I may not have to re-gear. Since I have 1.5" wheel spacers, I could use my stock wheels with 35x12.5 tires, do a slight coil-spacer lift and trim my fender flares (or buy flat ones), and end up with a slight 2" lift and larger tires. My original thought was to spend money on a nice coil lift kit and only use 33" tires. Both options look nice and would increase some of my capability, but I'd love some thoughts on usability, performance and efficiency, as well as general wear and tear.

Thoughts?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If your a daily driver, I would go no bigger than 285's. My personal opinion of course. But keep it small. I have 285 ST Maxx. You notice them on the jeep for sure. I have used my rig alot in the backcountry, and never needed more tire than that. Remember, you already have more ground clearance and ability than any other vechile, so no need to make your rig drive worse for looks. I would run the teraflex leveling kit and a shock upgrade too. Mine rides excellent with this setup as well.

goofiefoot

Adventurer
If your a daily driver, I would go no bigger than 285's. My personal opinion of course. But keep it small. I have 285 ST Maxx. You notice them on the jeep for sure. I have used my rig alot in the backcountry, and never needed more tire than that. Remember, you already have more ground clearance and ability than any other vechile, so no need to make your rig drive worse for looks. I would run the teraflex leveling kit and a shock upgrade too. Mine rides excellent with this setup as well.

Good thoughts! Are you running the Teraflex coil or spacer leveling kit? Which shocks did you go with? Thanks!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am using the 2"/1" spacer. i would rather use stock springs, they don't sag so fast. I am going to put 19/60 spring combo in this spring, I am also running Monroe reflex monotubes. They are probably the best upgrade for the money. Just make sure you order the rubicon length shocks. My jeep handles, rides, takes big bumps, small studders so much better than my stock shocks. Best part is the buy one get one offer. most chains have this offer.

goofiefoot

Adventurer
I took the doors off on a whim. Fairly easy process, except the rear doors took some encouraging with a lever. I need to make some space on the garage wall for some door hangers, because I definitely want to do this more often.

e3dd4f12-bf63-44c3-83fd-a08847f2bde3.jpg

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Top tip: undo the connectors and catch completely (obviously) and then grab close to the hinge on the under side with the door WAY open. Open and close the door while pulling up- close to the hinge- and it should wiggle out.

da10A

Adventurer
I agree that 285/70-17 would look awesome along with the wheel spacers. That is the size I run, and they look right at home on my 10a, as if that is the size it should have come with.
ame9ejeh.jpg

Last edited:

da10A

Adventurer
Thanks bro. However I have moved the LED lightbar under the mopar mounting bar. Haveing it atop made the jeep look a little too stealth for my taste, and being under, it is protected by the bar.
qazy5etu.jpg

goofiefoot

Adventurer
Every day, I search my local craigslist auto parts area for "Jeep" and see what pops up. Wednesday, that paid off big time!

I had been considering the Warn stubby bumper for its foglight integration and hi-lift ports (plus, I think it looks cool). This one had been ordered for a customer who changed their mind, and I was able to snag it for a great deal.

2014-07-25081057.jpg

2014-07-25081108.jpg

It's very stout bumper, and I've already noticed a slight drop in my front end. Once I settle on a winch, I know it will drop down even more. Time to start considering my lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles