Tongue extension questions

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
I am looking at extending the tongue on my trailer. I am going to add a multi axis hitch and so I am looking at adding 3 feet to where my tongue meets up right now. 3 feet for half the width of my truck. My questions are how far back do I need to go. My first cross brace is about 4 feet back from tongue now. And my other question is what kind and size of metal. I was told the receiver hitch size tube is expensive. Right now my frame is 2x3 C-channel. I know I am going to add a few more cross braces in once I getting water tank mounted underneath.
a7ahuhy9.jpg

The angle iron you see is going to get removed. The brace I was talking about is about a foot further back under the box.

Ignore the mess under the trailer. I had to make room for my DD in the garage from all mg summer projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

nzmikey

Hi there

I see no one has replied yet so will give u my suggestion.

Rip out that c channel and run some RHS from as far back as you can pref to where the front spring hangers connect to.

Im not sure in the sizing you need for your coupling.

Do you have an idea on how much weight u are wanting to carry?

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
I am thinking gross weight will be around 1000-1400 lbs. RHS?? Hot rolled steel? A new frame is not really in my budget right now. The cross member I was going to tie into is just aft of the front hangers. That will make my extension 7 foot long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Kohburn

Adventurer
if that cross member is also the 3" c channel then you should be fine.

the reciever tube size depends on the receiver . could be 2x3 or 3x3

if you have a you can get one peice tube or you can use 2 sections of 1x3 or 1.5x3 - and welde the center seem. you end up with strength similar to an I beam. should be able to use 14gauge for that.

i bought a 30' 1.5x3 , 14gauge, tube for about 80$ and had them cut it into short sections for me to take home. (had to buy a whole peice from the supplier)

nzmikey

RHS is Rectangular Hollow Section.

It looks tidy and is super strong. C channel is strong and you could weld two together to make an I beam as Kohburn suggested but if it were me I would just do the RHS first time.

The beauty with RHS is that you can run it from the spring eye to the front and not have to put any cross bracing etc in leaving you open to putting anything on the drawbar and also not having to worry about putting a tool box on the front of your trailer adding to the total weight on the tongue.

I would be using RHS 75mmx50mmx3mm and When you weld the drawbar to the frame don't weld across the top of the drawbar only along it.

Either way - Good luck. Make sure you do a lot of prep work before you weld the drawbar to the frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94