Canvas Tent for high humidity camping and storage?

idn88

I am looking to upgrade to a canvas tent - looking at the Kodiak right now.

I was wondering the affects of a high humidity environment, both using and storing it in high humidity.

I live on the coast in the Southeast US. High Humidity / High Temperature. I store my current nylon tent in the attic (even higher temperature, still high humidity). Should I be worried about mold while storing in such a location? Indoor storage is really not an option. I have stored the cheap nylon tent up there for years without any issues, but cotton may not hold up so well?

I am wondering if a canvas tent is a good idea due to these factors, or if I should stay with a Nylon tent. I definitely don't need 4 season tent. Primary reason for looking at the Kodiak and similar is build quality, and keeping the thing up during a storm or heavy downpour - of which we get occasionally.

Anyone with experience or opinions are appreciated?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I didn't even know people still used canvas tents? LOL. I prefer Mountain Hardwear tents, even if it means buying multiple tents for a larger group. I never liked the idea of all 4 of us in our giant Canvas tent with bunk cots. A good little 2 wall nylon tent is way dryer than any canvas tent I've been in. At least OH, PA, NH, VT, FL, GA rainfall.
-
It also used up hours of our time each vacation. Where a few little backpacking tents are merely 20min tops to put up.

xplrn42

Adventurer
I grew up in the Southeast (Georgia) and in boy scouts (1980's) we used nothing but canvas tents and never had a mold / mildew problem, we camped one weekend every month rain or shine.
I live in the Pacific Northwest now and still use a canvas tent (Kodiak 10x10). I luckily have a garage that I can dry mine out in before storage, if/when we get rained on.
I keep mine in the garage during the summer but usually move it inside during the winter just to be safe. They're not too bad packed down, should fit under your bed easily.

I would highly consider going with the new VX(?) model with the side windows for down there. I think you'll be happy with the Kodiak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94