New toy - 1984 Westfalia

crawldit

Adventurer
Not the prettiest Westy around, but I just picked up this 84 to play with. Work done by the previous owner is a new engine and tranmission 50k miles ago, new canvas a couple of summers ago, new clutch, new master and slave cylinders, new brakes, new battery and alternator.

Work I have done so far is: replaced a broken j-pipe and o2 sensor, replaced the missing exhaust strap, installed a Gene Berg Short shift kit, "custom" rubber floor mats for the front and rear, new stereo, new antenna and replaced the broken front sway bar links. The next round of mods will be front/rear shocks, new tie rod ends, new bushings for the whole front end and removing the stock propane tank and modding the system to accept 1 lb coleman bottles.

After that hopefully new springs front and rear, a GoWesty Auxiliary Battery kit, solar install and removing the stock fridge for storage and replacing with an Edgestar electric fridge. Oh yeah....and paint. She certainly isn't a looker right now, but that's okay since the "guts" are all in working order.

DAV!D

Adventurer
Congrats on the van, as far as the fridge, have you looked into Truck Fridge? They specialize in 12v refrigerators and have a model that iis supposed to be just about a direct replacement fit for the westy domestics. Think it's the TF49 model.

. I'm redoing a tin top Syncro at the moment and working to turn it into a full camper.

Congrats on the van. For suspension bushings, check out T3 Technique. I just installed the steering rack bushings, while replacing the steering racks boots.
If you are getting springs other than stock, just make sure that the shocks you plan to install are a good match for them - I don't have any specific advice along those lines.

One thing to check is the condition of your plastic coolant pipes under the vans, namely the ends. Yes, that will mean draining the system, but the antifreeze should be swapped out every 2-3 years in these vans anyways to avoid head leaks (corrosion). See this for more info http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=113
You can simply drill the pipe and install a rivet instead of GoWesty's kit - however, I did install their kit as a preventative measure.

Steamboater

Man I wish the internet was around when I had my '87 Westy - we just scratched our heads by the side of the road and either had to deal with factory dealers ($$$$$$$) or junk yards - and of course Dead shows :)

All the after market parts and replacements now are awesome. Just having a heater and updated fridge and stove would be great. Would love to drive one with the engine conversions.

Nice van - Have a blast!

DAV!D

Adventurer
Congrats on the van. For suspension bushings, check out T3 Technique. I just installed the steering rack bushings, while replacing the steering racks boots.
If you are getting springs other than stock, just make sure that the shocks you plan to install are a good match for them - I don't have any specific advice along those lines.

One thing to check is the condition of your plastic coolant pipes under the vans, namely the ends. Yes, that will mean draining the system, but the antifreeze should be swapped out every 2-3 years in these vans anyways to avoid head leaks (corrosion). See this for more info http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=113
You can simply drill the pipe and install a rivet instead of GoWesty's kit - however, I did install their kit as a preventative measure.

Be very careful what antifreeze you use in a Vanagon. It has to be phosphate free otherwise it will eat up the head gaskets.

crawldit

Adventurer
Congrats on the van, as far as the fridge, have you looked into Truck Fridge? They specialize in 12v refrigerators and have a model that iis supposed to be just about a direct replacement fit for the westy domestics. Think it's the TF49 model.

Thanks. I did some reading about the TF49 on the Samba. It's definitely an option. I'm leaning towards something like the Edgestar though because I can move it between my 3 vehicles and my truck camper (who's fridge doesn't work). I'm not so much worried about keeping the van looking original as I am updating it and making it functional.

Good info. If I replace the springs it will be some zero lifts or similar. I need to research the whole suspension setup more. All I know for now is that my TRE's and all my front bushing are shot. And that my springs and shocks are covered in rust. The van bounces pretty bad, has bad nose dive on braking and the whole things squeaks like an old mattress when going down the road. And I'll definitely look at those coolant pipes when I'm under the van again this weekend.

Man I wish the internet was around when I had my '87 Westy - we just scratched our heads by the side of the road and either had to deal with factory dealers ($$$$$$$) or junk yards - and of course Dead shows :)

All the after market parts and replacements now are awesome. Just having a heater and updated fridge and stove would be great. Would love to drive one with the engine conversions.

Nice van - Have a blast!

No joke! Everything I have replaced was done with research on the internet. Makes life so much easier when you can find information for everything on the web.

Be very careful what antifreeze you use in a Vanagon. It has to be phosphate free otherwise it will eat up the head gaskets.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to really read the labels when I pick up a bottle.

crawldit

Adventurer
The paint is pretty oxidized and faded as you can see

I was reading about methods for oxidation removal when I came across a blog entry about toothpaste. Yes I said toothpaste. Since it's no cost out of my pocket, and the paint already looks awful....I figured why not? I grabbed a rag and some toothpaste and started wiping down an area. Low and behold, it looked better! Now that I know the oxidation can be removed and the paint "improved" I will pick up some actual polish and wax and go over the van this weekend. I don't think I would use toothpaste on the whole thing, but it provided me a good test to make sure the paint was salvageable. Below are some pics.

Johnrunberg

Adventurer
Congrats on the Westy - we have the exact same one... babypoop brown and everything.

A couple thoughts and suggestions:
- DON'T use abrasives on the paint. All youre doing is getting rid of decent paint in addition to the oxidation. Try this instead (worked GREAT for me) - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...w-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

- early vanagons had steel pipes so you don't have to worry about the ends.

- treat that rust NOW. Those seems look to already have perforation and it'll be much worse very fast. Pull the interior, wire brush, POR-patch the inevitable holes (or weld) and coat with POR-15 or rust bullet. Clean the seams on the outside, bead blast, paint and new caulk.

And enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne