Off road trailer conversion

Ar_Davis

I am starting to convert this small trailer I bought off craigslist last year into an off road/camping/kayaking trailer. It appeared to be an m101 copy at some point but it has seen better days now, if memory serves me correctly I only paid about $200 for it. Right now I plan on building a tub, a lid, and flat fenders out of 1x1 square tube and sheet metal. Although the first order of business is to get the suspension sorted out, I came here to see if anyone could identify the shackles that are on this trailer and where to order new ones and bushings.

Here are pictures of the trailer after I got it and of it now that it is stripped of the nasty diamond plate sides it had.

Here are the shackles, any ideas?

dmc1

Adventurer
Isn't the shackle leaning in the wrong direction? Looks as if the springs have been changed and are too short or the shackle hanger has been moved. I think the spring will bottom out where it is if there is weight on the trailer.

Mark, chime in and verify.

Looks like a great project to start with. Wish I could have found a tub...

Last edited:

Ar_Davis

Well on second thought I may change the set up. The springs are way too stiff how it sits. I restore/service english cars for a living so I have a lot of old parts laying around. I think I am going to take a spring and shackle set up off of a small MG and set it up on the trailer. After the trailer is back to full empty weight I will probably do some testing and see if I need to add or subtract some leafs (leaves?). I hope to gather all the stuff tomorrow and start putting it together over the weekend. I appreciate the input and kind words

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Looks like the main spring is too short OR the spring mounts F & R are too far apart... maybe shorten the mount that's bolted to the bottom of the frame... the shackle should be canted to the rear a bit as opposed to inline with the arc of the springs... as dmc1 mentioned...

Also it appears that the inner sidewalls were rubbing on the... tub ?? maybe...

Curt

dmc1

Adventurer
I did not see the tire rubbing. Definitely take care of that. The stiffness you speak of is most likely coming from the shackle set up as I would assume the bolts are being loaded instead of the springs. Make the suspension your foundation and you'll have yourself a very nice trailer.

Be safe while under the trailer! If you have the means to flip it over that will allow you to take a ton of measurements and get that bad boy set up perfectly.

Keep the pics coming.

Ar_Davis

I got all the stuff home, I am going to try and mock it up tomorrow depending on the weather.

That tire rub is from a piece of the tub I cut off shifting on the way to the scrap yard so no worries. I actually plan on ordering new hubs or adaptors to put a set of stock sahara wheels on the axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online