F-150 to carry a hardside camper

dags

Adventurer
I'm looking at two different campers - Lance 825 or a Livin Lite 6.8 - both weight around 1800lbs

Both camper suppliers claim they can be carried on an F-150/Titan/tundra. The F-150 usually has a payload capacity around 1600lbs - is upgrading the rear springs enough to increase the payload capacity.

i've got to sell my Nissan Frontier and purchase a new truck to carry the camper - I'm trying to avoid the additional cost of moving into a 3/4 ton.

Opinions?

haven

Expedition Leader
It really makes sense to buy a truck designed by the factory for the loads you intend to carry.

Most "half ton" pickups will need helper springs or airbags to carry a hard side camper without compressing the rear springs to the point where you lose most of your suspension travel. Companies that make helper springs include add-a-leaf, hellwig and super spring. Airlift or Firestone airbags are a common solution, too.

Up rated shocks also are a good idea. The extra load also will affect your braking distance and cornering.

dags

Adventurer
It really makes sense to buy a truck designed by the factory for the loads you intend to carry.

Most "half ton" pickups will need helper springs or airbags to carry a hard side camper without compressing the rear springs to the point where you lose most of your suspension travel. Companies that make helper springs include add-a-leaf, hellwig and super spring. Airlift or Firestone airbags are a common solution, too.

Up rated shocks also are a good idea. The extra load also will affect your braking distance and cornering.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess my question is - will some combination of upgraded springs/airbag/front suspension be enough to compensate for the shortfall of the payload capacity vs the weight of the camper. Basically do the upgrades increase the payload capacity - super spring claim adding their springs increases the payload capacity to 3000lbs.

Do we think the upgrades are enough or should i go for an f-250

Goober

Adventurer
If you're goin to travel alot I'd go 3/4 ton. The campers are both 1700 dry weight. Add 13 gal water, propane, any dealer added options (microwave, awning), passengers, gear, extra battery. You thinking of ever pulling a trailer when the camper's loaded, then add tongue weight. The camper should have a weight label showing the weight with options. Check this out. http://www.lancecamper.com/truck-camper-compat-guide.php With the 1/2 ton you'll need to upgrade the suspension and tires. Consider transmission cooler issues, I over heated my old 1 ton truck's trans when carrying a 1200lb. camper when the temp was 113 deg. I added air bags to both my 3/4 ton and Tacoma this year and I wasn't over vehicle specs on either towing or carrying my camper, but it really made a difference.

madmax718

Explorer
the new f150's have capabilities significantly better than the old- and rivals that of the f250's of a decade ago. The brakes are significantly bigger as well. (no more 15 and 16" rims here). The issue is the rear sag. Airbags will help alot. They new f150's have no problems towing the weight, but of course, frame strength, springs, etc. play a different factor.

In addition, you don't specify which body style- and which drive train. Some models of the f150 can do 3000+ lbs of payload.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

Goober

Adventurer
Check the door label on any truck you look at for GVWR, compare it to the chart in the link above.

CaveRun_KY

I have a 2002 F-150 Super Cab 4X4 with a 5.4. . . I haul a truck camper and pull a 18' pontoon.

I had to install airbags and I also have 10-PLY tires on my truck! . . . The airbags holds 100-PSI, But I only have to put 65 to 80-PSI to bring the truck back to level.

I'm going to buy a F-350 diesel Super Crew long bed by next spring! :D . . . But, I've been real happy with my F-150 and plan to keep it too!

Here's a picture of my setup! . . . If you have any questions, Just let me know! :)

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I aways fall under the better safe than sorry. If you're going to spend a lot of time with it loaded and it's going to see a lot of miles, just get the 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck and enjoy the comfort and peace of mind that you are well within the load capacity. Even with a 1 ton, I could see you wanting to get larger bumpers for the overload springs and having them engage sooner for sway and sag. Possibly even airbags. I think once you have the camper, add water, fuel supplies and all of the other things, you're going to find yourself at, near or over the recommended load limit on a half ton.

Yes the stock suspension on any truck is a compromise but I feel it is more of a compromise on a half ton. The manufacturers are trying to make it ride smoothly empty and then be able to carry significant weight. Not great if you plan on being loaded down almost all the time. The stock setup isn't designed for that. Airbags will help but they don't make the truck anymore safe if you are over the legal limit for that truck.

If you're getting a "shell" pop up truck camper with no stove, no microwave, no toilet, no nothing, a half ton would be fine and would still need airbags or helper springs. If you want a fully loaded hard sided camper with creature comforts and the extra weight associated, I would suggest a 3/4 or 1 ton with either Timbrens or airbags to help keep the load steady. At the very least overload extensions on the overload leaves so they contact earlier and stay in contact longer.

If this is your DD, a half ton will obviously be more enjoyable to drive around, better ride quality, slightly smaller, better MPG but you need to really decide how heavy that camper will be and how much stuff you will bring to know if that truck will cut it.

Best of luck in your search.
-jorge

rotti

Adventurer
!,800 lbs DRY.....loaded, wet, people, water, propane, dogs, beer, bacon, ETC, ETC.

Add another 600 to 1,000 lbs. I wouldn't even consider a 1/2 ton truck. A 1/2 ton cheaper? No, you'll be adding adding air bags, springs, 10 ply tires and then taking a hit when you have to trade it in on a 3/4 ton that would have had the payload capacity to begin with.

It is simple matter of mathematics. Look at the yellow door sticker that indicates your desired trucks payload rating....that older1/2 ton probably won't be close.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Driving south on I-15 from Vegas I witnessed firsthand the difference srw's and dually's ability to haul hardsided campers in very high winds. The srw's were condemned to the right lane and maybe hitting 45 mph with flasher on. The dually's were up to speed and seemingly minimally affected. My handling with beefed up suspension and the popup was tested.
Then there's emergency collision avoidance and braking.

dags

Adventurer
Sounds like everyone is confirming the obvious - i need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. Sometime you need group consences on the obvious:)

wirenut

Adventurer
Buying a 1/2 ton truck for a TC isn't saving money. You'll spend it on all the required upgrades. I carried a pop-up TC on my Dodge 1500 for a while. It was overweight with no passengers and no gear. I added airbags and E tires. It handled the weight better but was still technically overloaded and I had to be very careful how I loaded gear.
I upgraded to a hard side camper on a 3500 SRW. It was also overloaded. I added airbags and heavy duty shocks. It handled pretty good and I put thousands of miles on it. Now I have a dually to carry that camper. I'm still overweight with the family and dog in the crew cab and the boat hitched behind me.
The next truck will probably be a Dodge 4500.
See how this works? Get the one ton truck as a minimum to begin with.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have a 2002 F-150 Super Cab 4X4 with a 5.4. . . I haul a truck camper and pull a 18' pontoon.

I had to install airbags and I also have 10-PLY tires on my truck! . . . The airbags holds 100-PSI, But I only have to put 65 to 80-PSI to bring the truck back to level.

I'm going to buy a F-350 diesel Super Crew long bed by next spring! :D . . . But, I've been real happy with my F-150 and plan to keep it too!

Here's a picture of my setup! . . . If you have any questions, Just let me know! :)

I note you have biblical verse quoted in your sig... Probably a good thing to have him on your side if you plan on overloading that 1/2 ton longterm!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste