From Norway to Kola Peninsula, Russia

profdlp

Adventurer
I loved every bit of this. This will be a thread to return to many more times - I always see something I missed before.

Thanks! :elkgrin:

Berglid

Adventurer
I will try to get some time to finish this trip report. I have 130 more pictures that are going into this thread. Plus all the text. It takes alot of time. Wiberg is also making two more short movies. First post is updated with the first short movie.

Last edited:

Berglid

Adventurer
In Verzuga we needed to resupply. We wanted some beer and some meet for dinner. It was not so easy to find something we were familiar with.
IMG_1001.jpg

mat.JPG

mat2.JPG

I picture in town. Me with my car.
IMG_1623.jpg

Ladas and old military trucks were the most common vehicles we saw on our trip in Russia.
IMG_1023.jpg

Our guide had to go home to do something, so we were going to spend the night in a small dessert he told us.
IMG_1025.jpg

While the others were putting up their tents. Me and Jon were playing around with our cars. Then I saw a big tree. And of course we needed it for firewood. It was already on the ground. . I hooked the winch line around it and pulled it back to camp.
IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

Our small campfire. In places like this you should never cut down trees. Because of the erosion the trees are disappearing here. It will become a big dessert; this is a big problem here in Russia.
IMG_1989.JPG

camp1.JPG

Last edited:

Berglid

Adventurer
I’m enjoying our fire
IMG_1995.JPG

Martins LC120 with the SWEES logos.
IMG_1685.jpg

The next morning we were going to the coast line. First we crossed the dessert. There were a lot of wires in the sand, which easily could get stuck in our cars.
IMG_1050.jpg

It was raining a lot this day. Not fun to go outside to take pictures.
IMG_1056.jpg

The streets were made of soft sand.
IMG_1633.jpg

We finally got to the coast line. This was as Far East that it was possible to travel with car on the Kola Peninsula.
IMG_1065.jpg

Asbjørn
IMG_1067.jpg

campo

Adventurer
Hi Berglid

Thank you and congratulations for this magnificent presentation about your trip to Kola Peninsula.
Can I ask you some questions?
Would it be possible to organise this trip without the participation of an official Russian travel agency?
Is the price of such a trip in Russia more expensive than a similar trip in Europe would cost?
Is it worth to drive the whole way to the east coast of the peninsula?

Thank you Campo

Berglid

Adventurer
After reaching the coastline we followed it for a hour to get back to another road system.
DSCF3588.jpg

It was a lot of fun. People were racing each other. Maybe not so smart, in case of sink holes or deep water.
IMG_1073.jpg

We had to cross some small rivers but they were no problem getting over.
IMG_1097.jpg

The last bit towards the shore was filled with water.
IMG_1105.jpg

Then we got back to our favorite gas station. Not sure how many times we refilled here. Kola Peninsula is small. Now we are going to Kirovsk and then up into the mountains.
IMG_1625.jpg

I had a lot of sand inside my car. Glad I got these.
IMG_1127.jpg

We needed to take a stop in the forest to find out which way we were going to take.
IMG_1129.jpg

Berglid

Adventurer
Hi Berglid

Thank you and congratulations for this magnificent presentation about your trip to Kola Peninsula.
Can I ask you some questions?
Would it be possible to organise this trip without the participation of an official Russian travel agency?
Is the price of such a trip in Russia more expensive than a similar trip in Europe would cost?
Is it worth to drive the whole way to the east coast of the peninsula?

Thank you Campo

I think it would be possible. But we used Kola Travel because then they arranged everything for us. It was a lot easier. This is one of the cheapest overland trips I have done. So on the way home we did some shopping in some big sports outlets. Kola Peninsula was definitely worth it. Russia was really exiting. Now I really want to do the whole length of Russia. But it is smart to bring spare parts and good coffee. It was hard to find good coffee and Frank told us that if the car breaks down you have to fix it yourself. Almost impossible to get it to a shop, or get parts.

Berglid

Adventurer
We now started on some really wide and good roads. But bumpy as hell. The shock absorbers were having a tough time. It was also nice to have the iPad with spotify in the car. But we only used downloaded lists.
IMG_1126.jpg

After some hours some cars suddenly slowed down. They just said they had to check something on the car. So we slowed down. It took some time, so I called them on the radio. They had some problems, so I turned around. And saw this.
IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

We were now far from any repair shop. We had to fix this somehow. People were finding their tools. And we started putting up camp and make a fire. Here is the guides toolbox.
IMG_1684.jpg

First we started do lay some grass flat with our car to make a camp site. But there were too many flies. So we just ended up camping on the road. We had almost never met a car. So it would not be a problem with traffic.
IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

There was one man living here. He was curious on what we were doing. So he came over and started speaking Russian to me. So of course I replied in Norwegian. After a while Frank came and translated. He told us that we could come over and enjoy his sauna. And he gave us some dried fish and left. We didn't test his sauna, but I regret it now. It would be interesting to see inside their houses. But Frank told us that if we went inside we had to give him something in payment. Food, beer or something.
IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

Dried fish and Frank.
IMG_1151.jpg

Oscar
IMG_1158.jpg

Last edited:

Berglid

Adventurer
It took some time to fix the car, so we had already started on the dinner and some beer. Kjell is diving into the problems. Hopefully he will get it fixed.
IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

We also used the time to check the rest of the cars. Filling some oil and so on. Here I am cleaning Jon’s air filter.
IMG_2015.JPG

Kjell is a happy man, he finally got the car fixed and we were now ready to travel. The group wanted to go a little bit further this day. So we emptied our beers and packed down the camp.
IMG_2016.JPG

Berglid

Adventurer
We started on our journey the group wanted to drive in the dark. No problem for me. But we didn’t take so many pictures then.
DSCF3619.jpg

It only took 15 minutes from we left the car until we hear over the radio “bear in the middle of the road”. But before anyone got the chance to take a photo it was already gone into the forest. Good thing we changed camp, if not, maybe we would have been visited by the bear. I didn’t sleep so good that night.
DSCF3623.jpg

DSCF3625.jpg

It was getting darker. And usually it’s no problem in the dark. But with a big group like this it took some time. I recommend people to have some good lights on the side of the car. It will help a lot on the overview when driving.
IMG_1166.jpg

I think we drove for around 2-3 hours before we found a new campsite close to a river. People were tired and it rained so we just went to bed early. It’s nice to sleep also. Your head gets tired when you drive off-road all day. I don’t have any pictures from this camp.
IMG_1172.jpg

Berglid

Adventurer
Well the next morning it was still raining. We made some coffee, packed our camp and left. I wish I had an awning for times like that. Here we arrived in the first small town this day.
IMG_1175.jpg

A nice hut/cabin in the middle of the forest.
IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

Nice colors. The fall is here.
IMG_1180.jpg

Local military truck. Notice the heating.
IMG_1177.jpg

We now had to find somewhere to cross the river. The bridge is just for walking and really narrow vehicles. The river was surprisingly low, according to Frank. Usually it was one meter higher water.
IMG_1743.jpg

2 tons only!!
IMG_1184.jpg

I went first and took the hard route, Jon tried to follow me but we ended up winching him. Kjell’s wife amassed us and followed me without any problems in their 60 series cruiser on 35”.
IMG_1191.jpg

Asbjørn had almost never tried river crossings so he wanted to play around in the river a little bit and take a different crossing higher up in the river. This was also the easier route.
DSCF3671.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior