Japanese SUV goodness: 2001 Isuzu Trooper

newworld2004

Adventurer
The Trooper is pretty darn good off-road. My previous Trooper was a 93 short wheelbase 2-door RS model, and I wheeled the hell out of that thing. You can break the front CV axles if you are heavy on the skinny pedal, but with a little sanity they are pretty durable, and even if you break one you can replace the outer part (what usually breaks) with a $30-40 salvage yard CV in an hour or two. The rear axle has tremendous articulation, I have yet to see a SUV that can match it. I always figure if I can the the front wheels over something, the rears will follow no problem. Running gear, particularly manual trannys with the MUA5 gear driven transfer case are rugged and durable. On the minus side they are substantially heavier than a Cherokee, so in soft stuff they can sink in more easily.

If you are familiar with Moab, I have done difficult trails like Golden Spike multiple times. I made it up Rock Chucker on Metal Masher trail, and the Jeep following me with same size tires couldn't make it.

here is my 1993 trooper with 230K on it , original engine , rebuilt trans.trooper.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Nice. People don't realize how short the wheelbase is on the RS models...shorter than a lot of Wranglers. Makes for a nimble trail runner.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for and there is an RS on the local craigslist that I'm convincing myself not to buy..my will is slowly collapsing however.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Yea, sorry I guess it wouldn't have hurt to be a bit more particular. I was looking more at how they compare offroad, and what some of the pro's and con's are with the Trooper. I had an old beater Cherokee that would go damn near anywhere I pointed the thing even with cruddy street tires. To be honest I attribute most of that to dumb youth and not really caring if I broke anything. So having said that I have a good idea of the pro's and con's of the Cherokee, and know what tends to be a problem (overheating with the crappy closed loop cooling system, and the infamous death wobble).I realize the physical differences to a certain degree, but was wondering how the dynamics differ. It was mentioned that the factory LSD in the Trooper is pretty effective, whereas the Cherokee LSD might as well be an open diff. I've been eyeing Trooper's for a while and have always liked the boxy utilitarian look. One thing that draws me to the Cherokee is parts availability, especially in the junkyard where they're a dime a dozen. The same can't be said with Trooper's where there are maybe 1 or 2. Do you have problems finding parts given that Isuzu has now pulled out of the states?

Good questions, here's my thoughts in no particular order:

1. Size, seating comfort, driving position: Trooper for the win
2. Mechanical simplicity, parts cheapness: Cherokee gets it
3. Durability/reliability as a daily driver/weekend warrior: Tie (neither have stranded me so far. Cherokee was a workhorse for 5 years)
4. Wife ACTUALLY likes as opposed to TOLERATING it: Trooper for the win. Wife LOVES it. She actually prefers it over her 2007 Edge.
5. Aftermarket support: Cherokee gets it
6. Lack of need of aftermarket support: Trooper (ARB bullbar, winches, lights, tires, OME lift, Front runner roofrack, Warn hubs - That's all I need and it's all still available
7. Has a factory tire carrier: Trooper for the win.
8. Great heater: Tie
9. Seat heaters: Trooper for the win
10. 4x4 system: Jeep 4x4 system is hell for stout, but Trooper leaves nothing to be desired.
11. 3 kids in carseats: possible in the Jeep. Actually comfortable in the trooper
12. At the end of the say, which would I rather drive to Moab in, wheel and drive back?: Trooper for the win.

Which one do I like better?

Trooper, by a long shot.

It fits my kids, fits my budget, has amazing fit and finish, has that cool Japanese car layout/philosophy. It's absolutely cavernous inside without being huge outside, and it gets better mpgs. The engine and tranny might end up giving me trouble, but then again, the jeep needed repairs, too. lol. :)

Being a HUGE XJ fan, I have to say that I love my trooper and I don't feel I lost anything other than maybe the tie to a great/helpful/generous jeep community. My persective, though, is that I'm spending more time out on the trail with family and friends in the 6 months I've had the trooper than I ever did in 4 years with the Cherokee.

There's something to be said for a vehicle that is enjoyable on the roadways TO the trails that end up being like 95% of your trip to the outdoors.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, so here's some progress pics on my rear storage drawer build.

It's built at the same level as the rear seat backs when laying down. We tested it and it's provides a sleeping area that is pefect for either my 3 young girls or for my wife and I. (which has us considering either a loftyshelter/Autohome tent or maybe a Campteq/Westfalia type pop top that utilizes the Trooper's ginormous sunroof.

Base of drawer setup, with material remove for weight savings
IMG_4378.jpg

Sides and angled back installed
IMG_4419.jpg

Test fit
IMG_4763.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
More progress pics:

The plan is to use all four stock tie-downs to secure it with these turn-buckles
IMG_4764.jpg

Top rough cut to size. It'll eventually get a carpeted top with tie-down tracks
IMG_4771.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, here's one more with one of the drawers completed:

Drawer is about 25" long, and about 8" deep. Swallows a good amount of gear which is good because with 5 of us, we have, you guessed it, a good amount of gear. :D
me.jpg

I'll be adding an identical drawer to the other side, too. I just ran out of time before we went hiking this weekend. Even un-finished the drawer system added a great amount of ease to keeping everything organized and accessible.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
So the drawer build last wednesday and thursday preceeded a hiking/backcountry trip up into Cuyamaca state park on friday. We had a total blast and the trooper did a great job ferrying us up there:

mailboxes.jpg

IMG_4781.JPG

IMG_4787.jpg

IMG_4792.jpg

whoo.jpg

gfiero

Adventurer
Glad you are enjoying your Trooper, I had two 99's (first was totaled by a sleeping driver on the 405 freeway, 10 weeks after I bought it) I lifted mind with the OME, installed the asin manual hubs, (they will improve your mileage about 1/2 mpg). I would suggest you look at Calmini's sway bar it was a great improvement on my truck. I also added some weather stripping between the two back doors to keep dust out. Also be careful how much weight you put on top I put a borrowed RTT up there on my rack and popped out a rear side window, neither the dealer nor the factory would help me with that, however exploring the net afterwards I found I was not the first one to have this problem. I soloed so I had built a sleeping platform inside and some drawers. In 4wdLo that truck went everywhere I pointed it.

Loved it but wanted a better sleeping and living arrangement and now have a 07 Tacoma with a FlipPac

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
In an effort to stave off impending CV angry noises and to stay with the "buy once, cry once" mantra of this rig, i ordered up a set of Warn 61385 locking hubs. I've always been a Warn guy when it comes to hubs and they've never let me down. These should accomplish a few things:

- increase mpg's by removing the parasitic drag of the front drivetrain during day to day driving
- reduce wear on said parts (some of which are in dire need of some good ol' TLC)
- Serve to isolate the 4x4 system in-case of failure off-highway

I'll post up some install pics when they get here in a few days.

Last edited:

smote

Looking good. Thanks for sharing the progress on the storage. I've been planning something similar for some time in my '97 Trooper and it helps to see it done.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
No problem, sir.

Here's another shot of it without me in the way.
image.jpg

It's amazing how little this setup infringes on carrying what i normally carry. With the seats down, it actually fits bulky items better...lol.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Glad you are enjoying your Trooper, I had two 99's (first was totaled by a sleeping driver on the 405 freeway, 10 weeks after I bought it) I lifted mind with the OME, installed the asin manual hubs, (they will improve your mileage about 1/2 mpg). I would suggest you look at Calmini's sway bar it was a great improvement on my truck. I also added some weather stripping between the two back doors to keep dust out. Also be careful how much weight you put on top I put a borrowed RTT up there on my rack and popped out a rear side window, neither the dealer nor the factory would help me with that, however exploring the net afterwards I found I was not the first one to have this problem. I soloed so I had built a sleeping platform inside and some drawers. In 4wdLo that truck went everywhere I pointed it.

Loved it but wanted a better sleeping and living arrangement and now have a 07 Tacoma with a FlipPac

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that issue till now. What type of rack setup do you have? (i.e. factory, Thule, Yakima, FrontRunner, etc?)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm loving this thread for so many reasons, the lessons your girls are learning from helping you will extend into many aspects of life, so great to see this. And of course that storage and cooking area is very well thought out, all it needs is an awning you could put up over the cooking area in case of rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles