Japanese SUV goodness: 2001 Isuzu Trooper

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
That's pretty cool, assuming you want to keep your rear seats up. Is there a pump or something to get water out without removing it from the vehicle? Or maybe a gravity fed hose from the bottom of the tank...

Yeah, I think we've ruled out sleeping in the back for now, so in that case, this becomes a viable option.

It comes with a gravity fed hose that can be plugged into a sailing galley type pump faucet. I've also seen setups that use a small inline electric pump to a regular faucet.

One thing I like is that it only adds 13lbs empty. That would encourage me to keep it onboard all the time, maybe only slightly full, ready to be topped off for a desert trip.

I also find that with 3 kids, having a water supply for drinking and washing is a very necessary thing most days.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Well, FINALLY had some time to take the trooper out for a spin in the snow-covered mtn's east of San Diego.

We kept it pretty tame since we were solo, and I have literally zero recovery equipment on the trooper right now. I even have the main skid plate removed from a recent service, too..haha.

4.mt.laguna.2015.JPG
1mt.laguna.2015.JPG
6.mt.laguna.2015.JPG
sledding2015.2.JPG

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Many puddles were busted. :)
11-30-2015 8-56-52 PM.jpg
11-30-2015 8-55-52 PM.jpg
11-30-2015 8-56-23 PM.jpg

checked out a few easy trails
11-30-2015 8-54-49 PM.jpg
11-30-2015 8-53-45 PM.jpg
11-30-2015 8-54-07 PM.jpg

Attachments

• 11-30-2015 8-53-45 PM.jpg
    11-30-2015 8-53-45 PM.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 31

shmabs

Explorer
Excellent pictures! And thanks for the heads up on off road warehouse, I will call the one closest to me (Escondido) and see what they have, I'm looking for their folding camp chairs.

Where did you go to find snow? I've been thinking of taking my son out to find some.

Mike

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Excellent pictures! And thanks for the heads up on off road warehouse, I will call the one closest to me (Escondido) and see what they have, I'm looking for their folding camp chairs.

Where did you go to find snow? I've been thinking of taking my son out to find some.

Mike

Good luck on the camp chair search. The shop in clairemont had quite the selection and they indicated that they intended to grab a bunch more stock to have on hand, which of course was music to my ears...haha.

We were up on Mt laguna, actually. Hadn't been there before. It was honestly as easy to find/navigate to as Julian is. We left a lot unexplored, I'm sure. My clan really liked the area, so we'll be back.

shmabs

Explorer
Thanks again for the info!

I've been to Mt Laguna for work (forest service) a few times, but need to head back up there to explore/recreate a bit.

Mike

GetGone

Nice Trooper! Just an FYI, the VX front sway bar is thicker (stronger rate) than the Trooper's. Not sure about the rear but poly bushings f/r could also offer some extra sway control fairly cheaply. P.S. - Hey, Steve! Justin here. Merry Christmas, Zu folk!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Well, finally got the Trooper out for a real trip. Spent all weekend cruising around Ocotillo wells. Literally went from the 78 all the way through to truckhaven. Loaded up with gear and four dudes, the trooper performed flawlessly. Here's the trooper and my dad's 2006 3/4 ton with his Alaskan.

DIRT.1.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I have had BFG's, Goodyears, Coopers.

Think I am going to try these Kumho's next.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Road+Venture+AT51&partnum=215R5AT51

I'm thinking about leaning towards a 255-85R16.

Was just reading about the size. Very narrow tread width, and about 33" tall. Exactly what I was looking for, AND it fits on 7" rims.

My plan involves grabbing 4 steel spares and putting the new tires on them. Trooper stock rims and spares are 7" as far as I know. Yay!

I'll have to check out that link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior