Japanese SUV goodness: 2001 Isuzu Trooper

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Oh and i picked up some new hardware to hopefully finish off my storage drawers in the back. Picked up handles, barrel locks and tie down loops.

I've purposefully put the build on hold at the point where i stopped as i wanted to see if the assembly would intrude on daily activities if left in the back full time. I've found that more often than not its actually been MORE useful than before for luggage, groceries, construction materials, etc.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
OME for the shocks. Fantastic shock with a great ride handling that really improves the trooper.

Thanks for the input.

I think I may very well just go with the zero or 1" lift OME springs that BigSwede mentioned, and then the accompanying OME Nitro's. Independent4x is likely going to get a chunk of my paycheck in next month or so. :)

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I think I may very well just go with the zero or 1" lift OME springs that BigSwede mentioned, and then the accompanying OME Nitro's. Independent4x is likely going to get a chunk of my paycheck in next month or so. :)

I know you said you don't want to lift it, but you should really consider the 919 or 929 coils for the loads you seem to be running. 919s are rated for +220 lbs over GVW and 929s are +440. The 912s or 913s are great for unloaded use, much better than the factory springs, but for a loaded Trooper with maybe a RTT etc., you definitely need more spring. Either will get you about 2" lift, which is also enough to fit most any tire you would reasonably want. I have the 929s and definitely wouldn't want anything softer.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok so i'm trying to think through the next part of my rear storage area. Water.

I have several nice .gov water cans and really like them for several reasons:

Cost - they were about $15.00 each
Quality - they're made tough and they do not leak a drop
Size - i find that 5 gallons of water is just bearable if i need to move a can out of the vehicle.
Portability- if they need to be carried to unload a vehicle...they're made to be carried
Redundancy - if one of my three cans gets a hole and leaks it's contents, i still have 2/3's of my water supply

Some considerations:

Storage: my rear storage drawers are designed to be at the same level as my back seats. Therefore the cans do not fit below it and would eat up space on top. This spot would also bring the cans higher up (C.O.G) than i would like. If i end up with a frontrunner rack, there would be room up there but that puts about 125lbs exactly where i dont want it.

Enter frontrunner:
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...tank-60l-840l-x-360w-x-220h.html#.UwrlIWt5mSM

This tank is a 60l (15 gallon) tank that sells for 150.00

Some considerations:

Concept This would take the place of a drivers side drawer setup. I'd have to chew on it and see if this is the best use of space.
WeightA single tank fully loaded would weight 125lbs +/-, and I'm assuming the FR tank is unbaffled, so thats quite a bit of weight when fully loaded. The advantage is that it is as low as possible with going to a custom or imported undercarriage water tank.
SupplyWe live in the desert, and as such tend to carry and use quite a bit of water. 60l would be a good solid 3 day supply during a summer trip and about a 6-7 day supply in the winter/spring.

Anywho, just mulling at this point. Trying to be mindful of my GVWR in this truck, too.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Busy couple weeks. Headed off in Cabby for a few day "stay-cation" at the coast.

I love my storage platform. :)
image.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Is the platform level with the rear seats with the backs folded down? That's the way mine is set up.

jonesy

Love the Axial SCX-10 in there.....that's slowly becoming a necessity for me out on the trails as well:ylsmoke:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Love the Axial SCX-10 in there.....that's slowly becoming a necessity for me out on the trails as well:ylsmoke:

That was my present to me about a week ago. I can honestly say i've been looking at them for a couple YEARS. Finally got one. I've had SO much fun with it already.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, next on my to-do list is the following:

1. Order CV boot kit from independent4x, and install.
2. Install CB radio
3. Finish driver's side drawer in rear cargo system, and secure main unit/platform using stock cargo tie downs, bribe wife into upholstering with auto fabric
4. Install roller fairlead.
5. Route and connect winch power cables to battery.

Hoping to get most of that done in the next few days as I have some time off from work.

Edit: Well, I got number 3 done. Gonna have to figure out how I want to finish it. Bedliner/fabric/etc...

I think I'll give number 4 and 5 a try this weekend.

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, next on my to-do list is the following:

1. Order CV boot kit from independent4x, and install.
2. Install CB radio
3. Finish driver's side drawer in rear cargo system, and secure main unit/platform using stock cargo tie downs, bribe wife into upholstering with auto fabric
4. Install roller fairlead.
5. Route and connect winch power cables to battery.

Hoping to get most of that done in the next few days as I have some time off from work.

Edit: Well, I got number 3 done. Gonna have to figure out how I want to finish it. Bedliner/fabric/etc...

I think I'll give number 4 and 5 a try this weekend.

Gonna figure out 4 and 5 THIS weekend. Haha. Funny how "life" happens and time flies by.

I did confirm the need to drill both my fairlead and my bumper for the fairlead install. Also, i am testing out a few diferent locations for my CB antenna. I think up on the bull bar is where it'll stay, but we'll see.

Need to do an oil change soon, too. 400Delo oil made no dent in the rate of oil consumption, so i think i might just try good old castrol gtx in it this time...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Had a frank conversation a while back with an Expo'r thats helping me prep for a trip i'd like to take in 2015. We'll see how that starts to take form as i am able to save up and gather parts. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier