How do you remove your Flip-Pac?

kai38

Explorer
I need to remove my FP, it was installed at FRP using a fork list.
I was thinking of taking two 2x4 nailed together x 2 to make a "track" to sit it on in the garage.
And to get it off 2 more 2x4 slipped under the FP on top of the bed rail and 4 friends 2 on each side lifting it off and laying on the 2x4 rails in the garage.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
When I bought mine used, that is what we did. long 2x4s front and rear, remember the front is MUCH heavier because of the overhang. 4 of us had no problem. Just make sure those in teh back don't lift too quick or high and throw off the front's balance.

brian90744

American Trekker
removal FP

I just removed the hold downs, climb inside truck and lifted it with my back up a inch or so , move back a foot or so and turn the F/P 90 degrees and rest on bed rail, with one friend in center front and you at the locked rear glass. the 2 of you should be able to remove, if it too much get another friend to help you.
just FYI=brian

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I built a 2x4 gantry crane and use a 1 ton chain hoist. The load beam is three 2x10s daughtered. I believe it's safe up to about 1,000 lbs.

This one was in transition from WilderNest lifting (I built it too narrow) to becoming a liberated chair lift chair support, so it's got wheels that I don't have on the I use now. Leave yourself space to walk along the truck with it parked in there. Doh!

IMG_3361_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

DaVikes

Adventurer
I think Brian is a much stronger than average guy if he and a buddy took the FP off by themselves. Aren't they appx 250lbs? Anyway, when I had my 71 Chev Blazer, I mounted four pulleys on the ceiling of my garage, and ran cable from the four corners of the top through the pulleys to a boat trailer winch mounted on the wall. I would climb in the bed, lift the top a couple inches with my back, and slide in a couple 2x4's. I put eye bolts in the ends of the 2x4's. The cables had carabiners on them, and clipped to the eye bolts. I raised the top about six inches above the truck, and left it hanging there. I then parked under it.

PS. I greatly admire Dave's very tidy well lit garage.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I modified some old crank style camper jacks. Extended the arms for the platform that the camper sat on. Worked great

kai38

Explorer
is there anything wrong leaving it on full time? That was my plan.

I dont think so, but I wanted to be able to get into the garage.
We are house shopping and one thing i want is a garage with a larger door height opening.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
We are house shopping and one thing i want is a garage with a larger door height opening.

Generally everyone leaves them on just like you would a normal shell. kai38... You've got your priorities dead on! Shop till you find the garage that meets your needs! Hopefully the house attached is good enough! LOL! I'd kill for an 8' garage door.

RHINO

Expedition Leader

i have a regular 7ft door height, flip on a taco with decent lift (camberg front deaver rear) on 265 tires and i clear the door by just about an inch with an empty truck.

austintaco

Explorer

My Taco with 255/85/16's and about 2.75" of lift up front and 3" in the back won't fit in our garage. However, the flippac has some old Yakima or Thule cleats on top that are the high point of the shell. I plan to raise the header when I do new garage doors, but that's another story. If you are close in height and just need to get the truck in to work on it or for bad weather, you can air down your tires to get you through the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94