Parking on pavement vs dirt

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I have a dirt driveway and I was told that it's bad for the vehicle to be parked on the dirt. I was told it promotes rust and it's better to park on pavement. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

4x4x4doors

Explorer
For long term storage, parking on dirt allows the grass and whatever to grow up around the vehicle which will trap moisture and promote corrosion but I'm talking months or years at a time. I've lived in houses both with and without paved drives/parking spots and haven't noticed a difference in what corrodes or doesn't.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well sort of. Dirt holds moisture but parking and storing are different. If you drive your truck daily or often it would take you 10 years or so to see a difference.

Now if you where to store it there I would say jack it up or pour a pad.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
My truck gets driven daily, where I grew up we had a dirt driveway and I never noticed any excess rotting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Concrete is the rust mother of the WORLD. Nothing is wetter than a good garage floor. Concrete will rot a car as fast as the earth will. Your humidity levels in your area have a lot to do with it. Obviously the concrete floor of a dusty old chicken barn isn't going to have the same effect as a concrete barn floor in eastern PA. Plenty of rust bucket farm tractors that have never seen salt.
-
My Mustang Mach1 gets stored over a tarp in my garage with a small utility heater blowing fresh air under it.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
I live in the dry west, so I don't see this. I do think that leaving dust from running up and down a dirt drive will cause damage over time though. I used to live at the end if a half mile dirt drive and would recommend a weekly or biweekly wash down.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

Mrk1

Adventurer
I don't think it makes as much a difference on a truck or something with some air circulation under it.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
ALL the auto museums have concrete floors. However, the have ventilation and temperature control, too. Are you worried about immediate needs, or preserving the vehicle as in Red Barchetta?

"My uncle preserved for me an old machine, for fifty-odd years...To keep it as new has been his dearest dream." ....Rush

Haakon

Observer
I live in the very wet PWN, my driveway and parking area is gravel (and mud) and is only dry about 2.5 months a year, I had a Suburban for 11 years and it didn't have any rust on it at all. It was driven pretty much daily, not stored.

I suppose it might be better to park over well drained pavement, but I haven't seen that it's bad to park on gravel.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd say you just brought up this car to show-off, but since you didn't post a pic (or 12), it is clearly a figment of your over active imagination!

It's an '04. It's had a few tracks days and years of Florida sun. It needs paint. Too ugly to post, I'll get shunned for having a used hard sportscar! 04 Cobra bumper, better seats, some bigger wheels, and I'm installing Max Motorsports Coilovers, panhard bar, and Bilsteins. Goint to try to install an offroad H pipe as well.
-
Since the truck I'm fixing up sees all the winter use. It's getting budget priority right now. Hopefully I'll have the truck finished and this will be it's last winter before I roll it into the body shop. The Mach will have to wait another year or two.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I had images of this in my head... But the '04 is probably way more fun, and less stressful to drive hard!

image_zps53ca3632.jpg

O.R.T.

Observer
@O/P

*So all these Farmers throughout recent times who've squirreled away trucks in their barns to later become "Barn Finds" must've been doing it wrong? :wings:

Just be sure to do like someone else already hinted and not let the grass grow up all around and into it and you'll be fine. It all depends on soil conditions and your weather is all it boils down to. I'd be more worried about rodents and spiders IMHO.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yeah, in Mid Ohio or W Pa, dirt floor barns can be the death of an old truck or tractor. Depends on specific conditions, but a moist barn can be rough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz