Sold my NAS Defender 110 for a 2014 Jeep Rubicon

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Today I sold my prized fully restored NAS Defender 110. After a decade of pure Land Rover enthusiasm I decided to hang up the hat with Land Rover. You would think the final blow was some major mechanical let down high up in a remote mountain when I needed to depend on her the most. Reality is although I have found my self under that Defender in the mud dealing with some failure many times; that wasn't what made up my mind. It was packing for a trip up to the sierras just as I have done many times before. I was loading the last few cases into my Chaser trailer when I drop one on the floor and out spills all the spares. Every spare part that can possibly ruin your day in a Defender (learned the hard way) scattered across my garage floor...everything from engine belts, coils, senders, relays, airflow sensors, and 50 other little boxes with land rover genuine written on them. As I bend over to start to picking them up my bran new iPhone 5S falls out of my shirt pocket and falls on the ground. Cursing even louder now, I pick it up and turn it on to make sure it still works. Right there front and center is an email from my broker who helped me buy this Defender asking if I'd be interested in parting with it. Scrolling down I see what is a very strong offer and three days later she is gone. Now while some criticized this as a knee jerk reaction I have been having these impure thoughts about JKs for some time now. I have always envied that JK owners don't spend 75% of their time talking about mechanical issues or safe guarding vulnerabilities but rather spending 90% of their time discussing the pros and cons from the largest selection of off road solutions ever. I called my local Jeep dealership and within two days they had a fully loaded 2014 white on black, 6-speed, max tow, connectivity, 730N, etc, Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. I contemplated getting a turn key AEV but the badging isn't for me. I will however do an AEV build up mostly on their JK350 package. I'm excited to start down this path with the JK. I look forward to spending more time enjoying that lake and less time worrying about how I got there, or in too many cases, didn't get there...

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Congrats on your purchase and best of luck to you with it. I suspect there will be times you miss that Defender, but there will be times you don't also. Post up some pictures and your build when you get rolling on it.

John

Rider192

Observer
As a JKU and Tacoma owner who has travelled with Land Rovers, my statements are biased. Rovers are some of the coolest looking trucks traversing the planet. It's the amazing patience and skill for roadside fixes, along with the owner's deep pockets for parts and repairs that are truly incredible though. I commend Rover owners for keeping them going. I would have never lasted 10 years. But my Jeeps and Toyotas do...:)

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
Aesthetically I think Defenders are some of the best looking overlanding vehicles period. That being said I love my JK and it has been problem free since the day I purchased her. Welcome to the darkside.....

photo.jpg

SamM

Adventurer
After I sold my 1977 Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser several years ago, I looked into Land Rovers. I ended up with a 1997 Jeep TJ 2.5L manual. The plan was to buy a base Jeep and do a buildup with an engine swap and completely go through the TJ. As the TJ's frame rusted out from under me, there was no easy solution to the frame issue. So, I once again revisited the Land Rover brand. Going so far as to contact Dividing Creek Imports to see what was available. In my heart, I wanted an ex-military D90 diesel. The importation fees, reliability and future parts availability had me concerned.

As it turned out, I went for a 2013 Jeep JK and have never looked back. My Jeep came with lots of AEV parts from the factory. I will add more and set it up for DD duty and Overlanding.

I think you made the right choice. Please post pictures of the Land Rover and the Jeep when you can! I'd love to see them both.

SamM

goin camping

Explorer
Today I sold my prized fully restored NAS Defender 110. After a decade of pure Land Rover enthusiasm I decided to hang up the hat with Land Rover. You would think the final blow was some major mechanical let down high up in a remote mountain when I needed to depend on her the most. Reality is although I have found my self under that Defender in the mud dealing with some failure many times; that wasn't what made up my mind. It was packing for a trip up to the sierras just as I have done many times before. I was loading the last few cases into my Chaser trailer when I drop one on the floor and out spills all the spares. Every spare part that can possibly ruin your day in a Defender (learned the hard way) scattered across my garage floor...everything from engine belts, coils, senders, relays, airflow sensors, and 50 other little boxes with land rover genuine written on them. As I bend over to start to picking them up my bran new iPhone 5S falls out of my shirt pocket and falls on the ground. Cursing even louder now, I pick it up and turn it on to make sure it still works. Right there front and center is an email from my broker who helped me buy this Defender asking if I'd be interested in parting with it. Scrolling down I see what is a very strong offer and three days later she is gone. Now while some criticized this as a knee jerk reaction I have been having these impure thoughts about JKs for some time now. I have always envied that JK owners don't spend 75% of their time talking about mechanical issues or safe guarding vulnerabilities but rather spending 90% of their time discussing the pros and cons from the largest selection of off road solutions ever. I called my local Jeep dealership and within two days they had a fully loaded 2014 white on black, 6-speed, max tow, connectivity, 730N, etc, Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. I contemplated getting a turn key AEV but the badging isn't for me. I will however do an AEV build up mostly on their JK350 package. I'm excited to start down this path with the JK. I look forward to spending more time enjoying that lake and less time worrying about how I got there, or in too many cases, didn't get there...

You do realize you will now have an excess of free time on your hands and tools in your garage will grow dust?

Rubicon John

Observer
Welcome to the jeep family!

As others have noted above, the Land Rovers are some of the coolest looking and most capable vehicles around. I really have a lot of respect for those willing to wrench on their own rovers to keep them going.

In 1997, I was closer than ever to trade my then brand new 97 TJ sport in on a 1994 D90 (at that time, they didn't command the crazy prices that they do today--so, I guess looking back I should have done the deal). :)

Anyway, I've been a jeep owner for 20+ years and have a lot of fun and trust in the brand. Good luck with yours and I wish you lots of happy miles!

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Thanks for the encouragement. Here is a photo of the Defender:
photo.JPG

photo10.jpg

As for the Jeep I still haven't received it up...sadly my local dealer screwed up the order and the truck was missing half the options he said it had. They gave me back the money and I am now working with a great AEV dealership in Colorado who has exactly what I want but in Billet Silver and can build in the AEV components for me. I actually really like the Billet so I am happy. I don't think it will look too bad in front of my white chaser trailer. What do y'all think?

UncleBilly

Observer
That is one hell of a cool looking setup! I like silver 😜 Looking forward too seeing photos of your travels! Enjoy the new Rig!

Mako1114

Adventurer
Thanks for the encouragement. Here is a photo of the Defender:
photo.JPG

photo10.jpg

As for the Jeep I still haven't received it up...sadly my local dealer screwed up the order and the truck was missing half the options he said it had. They gave me back the money and I am now working with a great AEV dealership in Colorado who has exactly what I want but in Billet Silver and can build in the AEV components for me. I actually really like the Billet so I am happy. I don't think it will look too bad in front of my white chaser trailer. What do y'all think?

I really like the billet silver, especially with non-painted (black) fenders. Your former NAS110 rig and trailer looks epic....that had to be a tough decision. Regardless, someone else will get to enjoy it and you get a brand new AEV-equipped JKUR. WIN!

Cheers

Rusty762

Adventurer
HeliNomad that is a sweet ride, I love Land Rovers and Land Cruisers. My most recent rig is a Rubicon and although it does not have the classic/vintage looks, it is reliable, comfortable to drive and I have never regretted my decision. Look forward to seeing your ride, silver is a great color for a wheeling rig, hard to see dirt and scratches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior