The Georgia Bantam build

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Looking good.

So is the lid going to be flat across the top of the bed or framed up higher?

Maybe you can build 2 lids while you are at it?!?! ;)

By the way how long did you end up going on the tongue extension (from the point of the "V" frame forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't fully committed either way on the lid yet. I think that I'm just going to go with a flat roof and do a custom roof rack to match the future FJ roof rack. I'm still tossing around ideas.

The tongue is 32 inches from the point of the triangle to the end of the tongue. That should give me about 36 inches from the hitch once the lock & roll or Max Coupler is installed. Plenty of room to swing open the FJ rear door, jack knife the trailer and makes backing that much easier.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Here is a peek at the next update....looking for ideas on a jerry can rig. This will go on the triangeled tongue area. I'm fabing some ideas, but nothing's been cut yet.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Today's update. I'm going flat. I may end up doing two lids, but the first will be flat. I want to keep the profile lower and I just can't justify the cost and labor of a raised lid at this point. I must admit, my welding is suspect so I'm trying to keep it simple until I get some real world feedback on my efforts. Anyway, here it is so far.

Looks good. Square tube over angle iron around the perimeter is how I'd start too.

Would just keep it light.

Plans for lid top materials going to be steel too?

Figured out your hinges and latches yet?

Speaking of jerry can mounts...have a bright red jerry can with mounting base that has your name all over it...LOL.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Looks good. Square tube over angle iron around the perimeter is how I'd start too.

Would just keep it light.

Plans for lid top materials going to be steel too?

Figured out your hinges and latches yet?

Speaking of jerry can mounts...have a bright red jerry can with mounting base that has your name all over it...LOL.

The lid will be 12 or 14 gauge steel, depending on advice from the fab shop.

McMaster Carr is the preferred fare.

Army Surplus gas can? This is beyond Thunder Dome Trailer build here.... LOL

So, for tonight's update; what do you see in this accidental Rorschach test?

johnspark

Ramblin Man
I did a mock up of the jerry can rack and placed it in position, but I don't like it. The tongue box sticks out to far.

I think I'll just kept it simple. Mrs. Spark said she likes this better anyway.

parcours

Observer
I like what you did with the top. I'm thinking of going the same route. Did you consider a raised top?

How did you attach the angle to the edge of the trailer?

johnspark

Ramblin Man
I considered a raised top, but I want to keep the profile a little lower, plus I'm new to welding. I probably could do it, but I want to test what I've got going first. The bottom angle iron will bolt through the round roll top of the trailer once I have the hinges, gas shocks and front clasp locks ready for install. I'm not drilling or welding more holes than absolutely necessary. Right now it's just sitting there, albeit tightly sitting for sure. There is no slop at all. We'll see if that is a good thing????

BTW I still have to cut and attach all the inner supports of the top. It will be slightly raised as you can see, but the 45 degree bevel will be just what is gained by the 1.5 Square Tube Steel. I plan on building a roof rack to mimic the FJ rack, but with some additional features to make it more user friendly. A cross between a bajarack full size flat rack and the FJ OEM rack, if you will. We'll see if I can build as well as I dream. LOL.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94