The Georgia Bantam build

johnspark

Ramblin Man
I've been following the builds on this forum for a while now and I've taken the plunge and started my own. Thanks to all who have shared their work. It will certainly help me make the right decisions the first time.

So here is the 1945 era Bantam T3-C serial number 265 that was found in a barn at an estate sale. It's in pretty good shape for being as old as it is.

Last edited:

johnspark

Ramblin Man
I fixed a couple of pin holes in the bed with the welder.

I tore it down and blasted most of the small parts in a bead blaster at my BIL's shop. The rest will get the wire brush treatment and some POR15.

johnspark

Ramblin Man

I had to beat the tailgate back into shape and repair some torn metal on the top roll area. The hinges had to have the hinge pin ground off and their levels adjusted with a two pound hammer.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
I got off early today and went to the Steel Supply House. The Tongue extension piece is now being prepped for installation. Here is the mock up of what I intend to do.

It should all bolt up well and be supported by my welds. What do you think?

Last edited:

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I wonder if that logo is original? It looks cool either way. Maybe take a pic, add some dimensions and get somebody to make you a stencil to recreate it later.

Very nice start!

parcours

Observer
NICE!!!

I'm also building a Bantam... Just got it back from the blaster... Needs a little more TLC than yours...

Looks great!

johnspark

Ramblin Man
I updated some of the spaces above. I'm hoping for a good show of progress this weekend.

Please bounce any ideas or comments my way if you have any.

Dzibrat

John spark.........you have one of about 2000 of your model bantam trailer......it is a miliitary converted to civilian by the factory....it should have 4 tie downs on each side and have combat wheels. The hitch and leg seem to be original.....would consider keeping this trailer in original condition.....please visit the bantam trailer site before you decide to modify.....I live in Butler, PA where your trailer was made.....I have been involved with the restoration of #414 and own #1853

johnspark

Ramblin Man
John spark.........you have one of about 2000 of your model bantam trailer......it is a miliitary converted to civilian by the factory....it should have 4 tie downs on each side and have combat wheels. The hitch and leg seem to be original.....would consider keeping this trailer in original condition.....please visit the bantam trailer site before you decide to modify.....I live in Butler, PA where your trailer was made.....I have been involved with the restoration of #414 and own #1853

Thanks for the information, but this trailer is being re-tasked to a new mission. I did find the number 37 written on the bed while I was cleaning. It's probably just a measurement note, but interesting anyway.

Last edited:

johnspark

Ramblin Man
I got the whole outside coated in POR15 today. I'll get some pictures up once it's dry. Right now it's so shiny it shows every dent and ding.

On a side note; don't get POR15 on your skin. It doesn't come off. I now have a black nose. LOL there will be no pics of that.

Here are the pictures with the lights turned down some.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke