Dodge beats Ford in towing tests

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Finally, Competition is good.
-
Interesting that they noted how much easier it is backing up a trailer with the Fords little rear fender flares. I thoughT I was the only one that cared about such things. I'm never allowed to park anywhere that makes sense on a jobsite. Allways just the tightest nastiest spot.
-
Rest of the review is just the same old, same old. Dodge is soft on the low end due to the cowardly ECM. Dodge has the better exhaust brake. Nothing new there. Still, that's one of the best towing reviews in a while. They actually recorded the # of brake touches and brake temps. Big time info that strongly points to the advantages of Dodges exhaust brake. Maybe it's time for some real Jake Brakes.
-
Wake me up when someone does a destructive salt spray to failure test on the trucks.

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
I like the thoroughness of the report. Certainly seemed to cover much more real world scenarios than the typical mall crawler tests that are out there (I have always felt braking tests were a bit more important than empty 1/4 mile runs). I am curious why they didn't include the GMC/Chevy versions as well. Granted the payload is less then either of the Ford or Dodge but not by that much (w/gooseneck 23,100 for the GMC/Chevy v. 24,700 for the F-450). But hopefully these types of tests will be done more and less of the "looks cool at dusk" tests.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If you are backing up a 30' trailer like I do regularly, the size of the flare doesn't matter too much. If you are backing up a 1970s era tent trailer that is 6' wide and running on golf cart wheels, I can see where it would be an issue. I will admit to being somewhat aesthetically driven, and I think the tiny flares on Fords and the 3rd gen Mega cabs are goofy looking. I think e 3rd gen reg/quad cab flares are about the best looking.

You are dead right on the exhaust brake. I use the one on my 98, and my 08 work rig daily. I don't know how we ever lived without them!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Its about time they do a real test like that with equal weight and equal numbers to make it a fair test!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz