2013 DODGE POWER WAGON QUESTIONS

Bellpilot

Observer
Hello -

A few questions in regard to the 2013 Dodge Power Wagon (5.7 Hemi):

1) Can the front and rear axle lockers be engaged at the same time like a Jeep wrangler (or - only front or rear - one at a time)?
A) in 4H? or only 4L? Both?
2) I assume the sway bar disconnect is below speeds of 15-18 mph and in 4H or 4L (or can it be activated only in 4L w/appropriate low speed in mind)?

Thanks in advance!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Aren't all of these electric parts?
-
Nothing a jumper switch can't do to override the ECM safeties.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Hello -

A few questions in regard to the 2013 Dodge Power Wagon (5.7 Hemi):

1) Can the front and rear axle lockers be engaged at the same time like a Jeep wrangler (or - only front or rear - one at a time)?

The rear can be locked, or both can be locked.

A) in 4H? or only 4L? Both?

Low range only

2) I assume the sway bar disconnect is below speeds of 15-18 mph and in 4H or 4L (or can it be activated only in 4L w/appropriate low speed in mind)?

It weorks in either high or low below the 18 mph threshold.

Thanks in advance!

Couple other things about the trucks.

I pretty much always shift into high range when I hit dirt. Why? First, the sway bar disconnect is awesome. It make a huge improvement in ride quality. Secondly, the trucks have enough torque to spin tires at will, and that's pretty hard on tires. In my case, I'm at 8K in daily driver configuration, 8600 when loaded for solo camping, closer to 9K with the trailer hanging on the hitch. Spinning a tire at that weight tends to shred them.

They absolutely require 35" tires. The factory 33's and huge diffs don't mix. When aired down, there is only 6" of clearance under the diffs on 33's. Even on 35's if I go down to snow pressure (15 PSI or so), I've hit the diff on the stuff you'd swear you'd clear - stuff like a 3" tall rock that sticks out of the center of a dirt road with just a little crown to it.

And lastly, I hope you aren't concerned about fuel economy. If you are, don't buy a PW. You need to know that up front. Figure 11 to 13 highway, 10 to 12 in town, middle single digits when aired down - yeah, 6 or 7 mpg is common.

Bellpilot

Observer
Thank you for the replies & information.
I did purchase a PW this week. Now the fun begins.... Also, appreciate the heads-up in re of the 35" tires.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd use a bypass switch to lock the rear locker even in 4H. Sounds like a pain going all the way from 2 to 4L just to lock the diff.

Bellpilot

Observer
Crawler#976 -
Do you have to re-program the speedometer like one does on a Jeep (using a ProCal Module) when switching to 35" tires? Dodge have a similar version of the device? Or - as I hoping, not necessary?

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Nope, reprogramming isn't required. The system isn't as tight as the Jeep's are (I'm speaking as an '09 owner on that, not a newer truck tho).

The locker mod is the only modification I regret on the truck.

As far as doing the locker mod, it's certainly doable, both as plug and play or hard wired like mine is. But, while I have it on my truck, it's functionality is less than desired. The locker mod is done by adding a switch w/ a resistor to fool the system into thinking it's in low range. Seems simple enough, but the unintended consequence of that is, it applies the low range throttle map to the system too. That mapping does some weird things in high range - it chops pedal input to reduce torque, so that in high range, you hit the gas, and it comes on very slowly UNTIL YOU HIT ABOUT 3000 RPM. Then it's Katy bar the door...it's ON. That can cause problems with fine control...

The other thing most folks don't know about the Power Wagon is that it has a very good helical gear limited slip in the rear diff along with the e-locker. That's the second reason the locker mod isn't required. It works great in most circumstances, so a Hi range locker isn't required.

And lastly, in soft terrain like snow and sand anyway, Power Wagons exhibit extreme rear wheel hop when locked up, even in high range. You have to learn to be easy on the throttle, know when to stop before the truck digs holes, and avoid wheel spin. It's it's own Tread Lightly system as it were...

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
And, I see you're up here in the high country somewhere - it would be great to meet you and have another of the most capable 3/4T trucks ever built out for a trail ride!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'd use a bypass switch to lock the rear locker even in 4H. Sounds like a pain going all the way from 2 to 4L just to lock the diff.
The LSD is very strong.

Nope, reprogramming isn't required. The system isn't as tight as the Jeep's are (I'm speaking as an '09 owner on that, not a newer truck tho).

The locker mod is the only modification I regret on the truck.

As far as doing the locker mod, it's certainly doable, both as plug and play or hard wired like mine is. But, while I have it on my truck, it's functionality is less than desired. The locker mod is done by adding a switch w/ a resistor to fool the system into thinking it's in low range. Seems simple enough, but the unintended consequence of that is, it applies the low range throttle map to the system too. That mapping does some weird things in high range - it chops pedal input to reduce torque, so that in high range, you hit the gas, and it comes on very slowly UNTIL YOU HIT ABOUT 3000 RPM. Then it's Katy bar the door...it's ON. That can cause problems with fine control...

The other thing most folks don't know about the Power Wagon is that it has a very good helical gear limited slip in the rear diff along with the e-locker. That's the second reason the locker mod isn't required. It works great in most circumstances, so a Hi range locker isn't required.

And lastly, in soft terrain like snow and sand anyway, Power Wagons exhibit extreme rear wheel hop when locked up, even in high range. You have to learn to be easy on the throttle, know when to stop before the truck digs holes, and avoid wheel spin. It's it's own Tread Lightly system as it were...
X2

The newer ones get better gas mileage than ours though, Red. The new trans is nice.

I'm on 34s and they fit without any mods. You have to do things to fit 35s on the G4s properly. The G3 will fit a 35 and laugh at us...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94