RTT....its days may numbered

NC_IslandRunner

SE Expedition Society
I wanted a RTT for a long time until I stayed on the top bunk in a cabin on a fishing trip last spring, my feet cannot handle the climb down in the morning. I currently use and really like my tent cot, keeps me off the ground, biggest drawback is limited space inside. Looking to build a trailer soon.

tracy123

Mike H could you elaborate as to your choice of the Columbus versus the Maggie... If you had bought based on design elements in the Autohome line.

Best

H

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mike H could you elaborate as to your choice of the Columbus versus the Maggie... If you had bought based on design elements in the Autohome line.
So . . . I didn't really pick out the Columbus over the Maggiolina; I bought the tent from my Unimog buddy George when he needed some spare charge.

That said, though, I know both tents and would have chosen the Columbus over the Maggie in a free choice situation. A small reason is that the Columbus is a little easier to deploy and store. Not a lot, mind you, and the Maggiolina is a very easy-to-use RTT, but it just doesn't get any easier than the Columbus.

The bigger factor, though, is the height at the tallest point. You can stand on two feet in the Columbus. You can't stand up straight, of course, but you can stand up well enough to pull a pair of pants on and off, which I value all out of proportion, I suppose. It also seems a tiny bit easier to get in and out of the Columbus if there's a flat surface under the doors; less important if all you can reach is a ladder.

I will say I like the looks of the Maggie better; the triangle-shaped Columbus is a little weird to my thinking. But the function is worth it.

Just my personal opinions, obviously.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I almost got a RTT. However, I got a nice instant tent and decided that is better. I can leave it at the site and drivwe my Jeep, no need to level, inexpensive, easy to put up and take down, and gives me a real camping experiance.

My 2 cents: finding a good ground tent is the way to go. Mind you I'm only 22 year of age, so being on the ground or an air mattress doesn't bother me as it may others. My Coleman dome Instant Tent (I think it's a 6 person) sets up in under 100 seconds and cost me about $130. The tent also takes up less room that a pop-open folding chair.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Sorry that I missed this question for a few days . . .

My Columbus is pretty good in heavy rain. It really helps that, unlike a normal tent, most of the rain isn't falling on the fabric. The big slanted fiberglass roof is catching the biggest part of it, and the vertical sides are tight enough (on mine, at least) that I don't get any accumulation at the bottom.

Thanks for the reply. Those are good things to hear bout the columbus..
Cheers!!!

:beer::beer:

Judoka

Learning To Live
I had an Eezi-Awn for a year, and camper in it about 200 days overall last year in every kind of weather. Peeing off the top is easy with practice. I had it mounted upon a trailer, so base camp was sweet. BUT... When I did have to take it down in freezing cold weather it was not fun at all. So I went back to the tent cot. Now I have to deal with condensation. Luckilly it is freezing at night here so I just shake the ice out when I pack up in the morning. This is the fastest deployment and breakdown gear I have ever used besides a Bivy sack (which I keep for emergencies only these days. I think I may have found a middle ground that allows me the fast set up/takedown of the tent cot and solves condensation issues as well! I will be picking it up next week and I will post the results here. More expensive than a TentCot, but still much less than a quality RTT.:ylsmoke:

luk4mud

Explorer
I have looked at an RTT several times and backed away for many of the reasons posted in this thread and one not here- wind. Alot of our trips are into the Mojave Desert where the wind can vary from mild to a steady gale but is usually blowing . I cannot imagine spending a night in one most nights in the desert here.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I have looked at an RTT several times and backed away for many of the reasons posted in this thread and one not here- wind. Alot of our trips are into the Mojave Desert where the wind can vary from mild to a steady gale but is usually blowing . I cannot imagine spending a night in one most nights in the desert here.
You raise an important point, but my experience with an Eezi-Awn is that it is much better in the wind than most ground tents. Being n a vehicle would be better, of course, or maybe if the wind direction is constant so you can pitch the ground tent in the lee of a vehicle, that might be better. But in most cases, if the choice is between the heavy fixed structure of a quality RTT or the assemble/disassemble construction of a ground tent, my personal opinion is that the RTT will be the happier place in a strong wind.

Frisman

Observer
I always wanted a RTT. but for $$ reasons never got one. then after many fishing trips and sleeping in my truck...in the extra cab. I decided to build a sleeping platform for the bed. it's been 4 years now and I love it. easy access. I can go from the cabin to the back through the sliding window and love the noise when it rains. got me a nice north face sleeping bag and love every minute of it. have all my clothes inside the storage area, kitchen, and soon my NL fridge. on the top of the cap I have my fishing rod rack. Also, it allows me to move from place to place in no time. windows tinted and nobody knows what is inside when parked.
Frisman

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I always wanted a RTT. but for $$ reasons never got one. then after many fishing trips and sleeping in my truck...in the extra cab. I decided to build a sleeping platform for the bed. it's been 4 years now and I love it. easy access. I can go from the cabin to the back through the sliding window and love the noise when it rains. got me a nice north face sleeping bag and love every minute of it. have all my clothes inside the storage area, kitchen, and soon my NL fridge. on the top of the cap I have my fishing rod rack. Also, it allows me to move from place to place in no time. windows tinted and nobody knows what is inside when parked.
Frisman

That really does sound like the most ideal sleeping arrangement. Very secure.

H0LLYW00D

Observer
I have had an RTT for 3 years now and finally going to switch over to having an RTT on a trailer, the setup is not so bad but gets old when you have to do it to go anywhere.

We have been living out of our Landcruiser and RTT for the better part of the last 4 years and our relationship with our RTT is one of love/hate... mostly love, the main issue is not having a "base camp." In other words: Having to take down camp to go wheeling, exploring, or even a quick errand is a pain. I guess this could be a non-issue with a trailer.

The leveling issue has been minor (never had to air down either), rain is definitely not an issue while deployed (though packing wet is a PITA), wind is not an issue unless it is gale force (Patagonia style), restroom brakes at night have not been an issue for us (but I can see it as an issue for some).

We travelled without a RTT for a few months from Patagonia to Venezuela and did not notice a significant difference in vehicle response or cornering, on or off road. We replaced the RTT in Venezuela and realized how much we had missed having one.

If I were planning/starting this trip all over would I get another RTT? If the trip were less than a year: definitely. If it turned out to be longer (like ours has turned out): probably not. I'd probably go for a camper shell or some sort of pop top roof on the vehicle (a la Flip Pac or a custom)...

I wouldn't mind having the RTT and something like an OzTent for basecamp...

ssssnake529

Explorer
I've been using a Carbon Columbus for several years now. Super easy and fast to put up and take down. Comfortable, durable, weather proof. Much more convenient than trying to find a dry place to pitch a tent at night in the rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke